Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 18th, 2012, 08:00 PM
Familiar Face

Smile Your favorite Cruise Line....Why?

We all have our favorites. Thought it would be nice to hear what your favorite line is and why. No wrong answers, only opinions so be nice.
Old April 18th, 2012, 08:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

TL, welcome to Cruisemates.....I used to say RCI, but, truthfully, it's been many years since I sailed upon her pretty ships...so, I would say, Celebrity, the Solstice class ships...High end hotel styling, interesting pay dining venues,and overall, I just like the ships esthetics...How about you?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; April 18th, 2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old April 18th, 2012, 09:05 PM
Admiral

For me it is Regent Seven Seas Cruises. I have over 200 nights onboard since I first found then ten years ago (then known as Radisson Seven Seas Cruises). The ships are small to middling (currently 490 to 700 pax) with some of the highest passenger space ratios around (Seven Seas Mariner GRT = 49,000). On their two largest ships all cabins have a balcony. The food is fantastic with open seating so we get to choose where and with whom and when we want to eat every night. You can special order almost anything and they will attempt to satisfy you (a whole cooked goose delivered on Christmas for a family where the grandfather got to do the carving). Everything (almost) is included although I wish they didn't inlcude excursions and would just lower fare. Some excellent itineraries to the far ends of the world (although Regent doesn't have an expedition ship ). And, a great value. I usually use frequent flyer miles and hotel points so I take a credit instead of included air and hotel. I do tend to drink on cruises so free wine and alcohol are welcomed. I am also a glutton who likes my seared foie gras and caviar so I make out on the food too. Regent is not for everyone but it is the perfect fit for me and the friends I cruise with (did I say how nice the passengers generally are )

YMMV

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old April 18th, 2012, 09:49 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I have to say that my overall favorite is NCL. Even if I am not a fan of the Epic as a ship, I loved the innovations. On the other ships I like the innovation, alternative restaurants and the "Freestyle" concept that just about every other cruise line is now copying to one degree or another.

I used to say it was Celebrity but my wife and I got tired of the regimintation for dining and shows. Now that Celebrity has adopted open seating dining we are happy. Our Century 2010 cruise was nice with the open seating and we are looking forward to enjoying it in Asia in December.

Overall: I like almost all cruise lines. The only cruises that we were disappointed in were on Royal Caribbean and that was mostly for the food. It's been four years since we sailed on Royal Caribbean and we need to give them another chance.

We also need to get back to Princess and Azamara and Holland America and Oceania and................

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 20th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Familiar Face

Ships keep changing so much. I will say I like Holland America for it's pace and standards. Love NCL for there ability to keep a good pace without forcing you to a schedule. It has been a while since I have been on RCI and Princess. Though I do like them both. The Freedom was the last RCI and I did not even get to enjoy all it had to offer. Celebrity has caught up so I agree good choice. To each his own, why I am asking all of you wonderful people. Nice to hear what you have to say.
Old April 20th, 2012, 07:43 PM
Admiral

My favorite is HAL ,however ,the best cruise experience I've had was on the Cunard.
Old April 20th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

While I always like to try different ships/lines, my still all time fav. is Royal Caribbean with Princess close behind. Many times, it isn't the ship, but the itinary and starting and ending ports, but I find that Royal is just a good fit for what I enjoy in a cruise depending on where I am cruising. Now, my last cruise on Allure of the Seas was basically for the ship, it is it's own destination and one I just knew I had to try, very happy with the whole expierence.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 21st, 2012, 07:42 AM
Cruise Maniac

Our favorite? The one we are on at the time. Cruising is what you make it. 65 cruises so far and not a bad one yet.
Old April 21st, 2012, 07:57 AM
Admiral

So far it's celebrity....but we are on Cunard Queen Elizabeth next week so we shall see, maybe not a fair comparison as we are in Grills class on QE.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 09:21 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
So far it's celebrity....but we are on Cunard Queen Elizabeth next week so we shall see, maybe not a fair comparison as we are in Grills class on QE.
You will have to let us know how you enjoyed your trip on Cunard Line.
Happy Cruising!
Old April 22nd, 2012, 09:24 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by valtime View Post
Our favorite? The one we are on at the time. Cruising is what you make it. 65 cruises so far and not a bad one yet.
Very fair statement for sure!! I have been on a few that I thought oh my or uh oh, and you are right we made the best of it. Made great memories.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 09:34 AM
Captain

Mine would be NCL - because that is the only one I've been on.
Old April 26th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Familiar Face

Anyone else have reasons why a cruise line is your favorite?