Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 25th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default 5 Ports Which Demand a Pre or Post Cruise Stay

5 Ports Which Demand a Pre or Post Cruise Stay

Written by: Kuki

While I always prefer to head to my port of embarkation a night prior to sailing, there are some are some ports of embarkation/disembarkation where more than an overnight visit is a must.

#1 on my list of incredible cities which scream out for a visit of just a few hours is New York City. The capitol of the world offers so much to see and do it’s the extended destination of many. But, there’s not a more spectacular feeling than standing on deck or your balcony while sailing in or out of New York’s Manhattan pier; sailing close to the Statue of Liberty and the Manhattan skyline.

Read the entire article here:

Cruisemates Blog 5 Ports Which Demand a Pre or Post Cruise Stay – Kuki

Tell us what places demand extra time for you in the forum below.
Sponsored Links
Old April 25th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Admiral

I agree .NYC is the mecca of the universe .
Old April 25th, 2012, 02:12 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

No offense Henry, I do it myself.

It just seems funny to use the term "mecca" because Mecca is actually another city.

It is like saying "New York is the Paris of the Universe"

Anyway - for ME, we took time after our last Danube River cruise to go to Austria and it was wonderful. We stayed in Salzburg - home of Mozart and the Sound of Music. We only spent two nights but we had 36 hours of sightseeing - definitely a highlight.
Old April 25th, 2012, 08:02 PM
Admiral

I agree with Istanbul and Venice but I think there are so many better choices than Barcelona (which can be done in one or two day stops on multiple cruises) or New Orleans (which is an easy land trip for North Americans).

Top of my list would be Athens. There are so many sights to see in Athens and neighboring areas that I always plan on pre-cruise trip. Of course, now, after three trips in three years there is less to see.

Next on my list would be Hong Kong. You can spend days at a time in Hong Kong and never tire of it.

Bangkok definitely needs a couple of days to see and is a great pre or post-cruise location. Throw in a side trip to Chang Mai or Seem Reap and you have a great adventure. Next year's trip to Bangkok I am finally going to get to play with the Tigers; have not been able to fit it in on past trips.

Lastly, I think Sydney definitely deserves a few days pre or post-cruise. Yes, you can probably see the highlights in a couple of days but you need to take time to see the city from the water day and night and climb the bridge.

There are many other cities where I have spent time pre-cruise and were wonderful (Buenos Aires being the most recent), but these four, along with Venice would be my top 5.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old April 26th, 2012, 09:53 AM
Admiral

Question Mecca or mecca?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
No offense Henry, I do it myself.

It just seems funny to use the term "mecca" because Mecca is actually another city.

It is like saying "New York is the Paris of the Universe"
This is one of those words that has entered the language. The American Heritage Dictionary says:

mec·ca (mĕkə) n.
1.a. A place that is regarded as the center of an activity or interest.
b. A goal to which adherents of a religious faith or practice fervently aspire.
2. A place visited by many people:a mecca for tourists.

Mec·ca (mĕkə)
A city of western Saudi Arabia near the coast of the Red Sea. The birthplace of Muhammad, it is the holiest city of Islam and a pilgrimage site for devout Muslims.

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old April 26th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Admiral

Default City stays

We have become very accustomed to seeing the great cities of the world in an 8 hour port call. St. Petersburg is one that customarily demands an overnight stop. Otherwise there are few cities that we have devoted a pre or post cruise stay to.

Venice is one of them. The amazing attraction of this city for tourists is overwhelming. Perhaps a gondola ride is one of the most touristy things in the world, but it is a delight. Here are some pics of our post cruise in Venice:
Mike and Renée's Greek Isles Cruise 2007

Another world class city is right at home, Boston. We spent some days there, following our Canada/New England cruise. The history is amazing. We finished up on the Battle Green at Lexington on Memorial Day for a wonderful ceremony. Here are some pics:
HAL Maasdam Cruise Review

After we made "The Crossing" on QMII we spent several days in London. This is another city full of history and tourist traps. If you are going to take a city break, getting there on QMII is the way to do it! Some pics are at:
http://www.bully4.us/crossing.html

One of our best pre-cruise stays was NOT at the port city. Before we sailed from Southampton, we spent a pre-cruise in Iceland and it was marvelous. For scenic beauty Iceland is hard to beat. Geysir is the original geyser after which the rest are named, and the Mid Atlantic rift comes on land at Thingvellir, which is also the site of the Althling, the world's oldest parliament. Pics at:
Iceland Trip Report and Pictures

After our Indonesia cruise, we ended up in Singapore and chose NOT to post cruise there, but instead flew to Angkor Wat in Cambodia. Although a few cruises offer an overnight excursion there, it is a place we probably would not have seen otherwise. Check out our trip report and pictures at Angkor Wat, Cambodia

Another great post cruise was Buenos Aires, Brazil, with a side trip to Igauzu Falls. The falls are undoubtedly one of the natural wonders of the world. Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/southamerica.html

I am more and more getting to the point that if I have to endure a long plane flight I want to get full benefit from it. City stays at one end of the cruise or the other make it worthwhile to suffer through the flight.

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html