Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 4th, 2012, 03:06 PM
First Mate

Default Could you cruise all year for $35,000?

Recently a newspaper article showed up in which a woman was discussing th a reporter her plan to get a retirement cabin on one of those floating resort ships which are basically condominiums for the rich. I say that because the reporter contacted one of the floating condominiums and was told that the $35000 the woman was thinking about investing would not be enough. In a discussion with a friend about this situation I suggested that maybe with cruises going for roughly a hundred dollars a night she might be able to cruise all year. She would have a bed, and three meals and a new view every day. new friends and dancing and entertainment every night. I personally couldn't handle it, but I'll bet there are some people who are doing it right now.
Sponsored Links
Old May 4th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

There are several people I have read about sailing around the world, using the ship as their home. The most notewothy case, I think is the couple that sailed the QE2 ofr years, and, when her husband died onboard, she then made the decision to live onboard. When the ship went into drydock, she went on another ship, or visited realtives, till she boarded again. The staff always watched out for her.

While the Residensea, sound like it would be a great idea, although a costly one, it is not a cruise ship. This is the 3/4th home for many residents and there are not alot of people onboard at any given time.. It is not the community, that one would find on a cruise ship, and it would be lonely, without peope to mingle with, and lots of activities to keep an elder occupied, and, thriving.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 4th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Admiral

I could be wrong but I believe there is a post on this board about people who live on cruise ships .

I have friends who never wanted to do a cruise with 6 sea days .However,they just completed such a cruise and loved it.
Old May 5th, 2012, 10:18 PM
Admiral

I would need a window cabin so I don't think $100 per day would be enough. You also have to multiply by two for double occupancy. Add tips and drinks and it gets a bit higher. Add in excursions ashore and it gets even higher. You can get haircuts and other necessities pretty cheap in ports but would have to budget some for medical ashore.

As I like to drink, this becomes an expensive proposition as I would need a drink package. If I could somehow get total costs to $500 per day for the two of us, I might spend extended times at sea when we retire.

Marc

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old May 12th, 2012, 08:01 AM
Familiar Face

I know from talking to Egon on the Poesia, that the 1 year residency arrangement does not come cheap or even is welcomed by most cruise lines.

In fact, Egon got bumped in Fort Lauderdale for a week whilst the ship was under charter. This was ironic, as I'm sure the heavy metal theme cruisers would have loved him onboard!

That said, if you're flexible, $35K for 2 is do-able and more than often than not, you'll have an outside cabin and sometimes a balcony.

Every year, even during "boom" years, one or more the cruise lines gets it wrong with positioning a particular ship and the rates at the 45-60 day post are reduced to deep discount levels, under $50 p/p per diem.

How cheap?

2 years ago, Costa was dumping cabins on the Romantica on the 21 day Mauritius to Singapore repositioning for circa. $500 p/p and selling the subsequent 14 day rotations between Singapore and Hong Kong for a little bit less. What was truly extraordinary was their selling 3/4 pax incl. p.t. for $200 per cruise. We added a 3rd pax for the final 3 days of the first cruise!

Cheapest I have seen and bought in the Caribbean is $249 p/p for 7 days on MSC. Apparently, MSC were selling far in advance on the basis of $499 on a buy 1, get 1 free.

So you hate MSC and Costa? Holland America put me in a balcony cabin on their latest ship, the Nieuw Amsterdam IV @ $449 p/p on a holiday sailing.

You want the flavor of the month? Norwegian Epic always has deep discounted transatlantic sailings. At the Europe end, hop onto a less fashionable ship in cruise hub Barcelona, similarly in Miami/Fort Lauderdale.

I figured out that the best bet for me a couple of years ago would have been taking the Costa Atlantica transatlantic in early September, repositioning for its Canada/New England sailings. They just could not sell those cruises! And at the end of that season, the ship re-positioned to the aforementioned $249 Fort Lauderdale market until its bargain basement repositioning cruise back to Europe.

This year, of course, is a bloodbath in Europe with Costa practising beggar thy neighbor. Personally, the only summer time cruise I'd take would be something very BORING, no matter how low the prices are in the Med. or Alaska.

But then again, I have had deep discounted summer cruises around the British Isles and the Baltic on Princess and HAL in years past. Busting the budget, I see that the Spitsbergen cruise can be had cheaply this year. Some years the cruise lines get their Cape Horn/Antartica cruise projections wrong for the January-March season there.

So fudging a little bit here, for those wishing to avoid hordes of children underfoot, I'd recommend a couple months in Phuket or Bali at a 4 star resort during the northern hemisphere summer which is their ultra low season. It will feel just like cruising in a penthouse suite on Holland America! Spring break weeks should be spent away from the north American cruise market. Christmas/New Year used to be terribly expensive. No longer.
You'll bust your budget for those 1 or 2 weeks only by a little bit if you shop around.

I tend to cruise for anywhere from 5 to 13 weeks at a time.
Old May 13th, 2012, 11:40 PM
Captain

Talked to a older gentleman when we cruised onboard the Carnival Miracle a couple of years back. The old fella said that he lives on the different Carnival cruise ships. He said he had a modest retirement and of course SSN but he bought stock in the company several years ago when the stock was really cheap and for that he gets special credits on his cruise fare and certain perks above and beyond to Loyalty program.

The gentleman put it like this.....He gets his clothes washed free (loyalty perk) gets all his food cooked for him, his room cleaned everyday, and great entertainment and the run of the cruise ship. He said now figure up what Rent costs, utilities, Food and the like and you can see that living on cruise ships is a relatively cheap way to live. The guy was also a smoker....so the money he saves buying all his smokes abroad would save quite abit over buying them in the States. He also said that he didn't have any kin yet alive he wished to see so there is no reason for him to stay in the USA.

Really, IMHO, not a bad way to retire!!

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14