CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   What line would you tell a never cruised person to go on?....Why? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/389253-what-line-would-you-tell-never-cruised-person-go-why.html)

TLCMTravels May 7th, 2012 02:26 PM

What line would you tell a never cruised person to go on?....Why?

Ok for those of us who are seasoned cruisers. If someone walked up to you and said I have never cruised but I am thinking about it and want to know what one I should choose. What line would you tell them, and why. We all have reasons why we like it. But what do you say to someone who has never cruised before. :shock:

Of course it depends on the person. Let's hear your thoughts. :)

Manuel May 7th, 2012 04:57 PM

I would have to know what this person or persons enjoy. The cruiseline that I prefer might not be the best for someone with different tastes.

TM

Trip May 7th, 2012 05:17 PM

Henry, think that would be a given now:)

I'm not sure I would ever say don't cruise so & so....so many things are subjective...Years ago, I might have told a senior citizen, not to sail Carnival. I would never have that opinion today. If I was asked about my cruise, on a particular ship, I would share my experiences. The ball would be in their court, at that point.

buttons16 May 7th, 2012 05:25 PM

First ask him or her if they like beer drinking contests, pillow fighting and loud and partying people...if they say yes then Carnival is the choice. If they want to see good entertainment then NCL...Do they have kids ? then maybe a Disney cruise If they like a more upscale line then Princess, Holland America and Celebrity...if they like to be pampered and a toned down classy line and money is no object then, Crystal,SilverSea, Cunard, Seabourn, Hapag Lloyd Cruises and Regent...So many question I can ask...I would really have to speak to someone and ask them a slew of questions. But for starters the above would do.

Trip May 7th, 2012 06:16 PM

It's been years since I saw a beer drinking contest on Carnival ! Things have changed since the, "ain't we got fun era."

PeterC May 7th, 2012 06:50 PM

This is a great question. I would think for a first cruise, any line would be fine since there's nothing to compare it to. Our first cruise was on Commodore lines Enchanted Isle. We loved this cruise and have no regrets. It was terrific. However had we shipped on say Princess or HAL before we wouldn't have liked Commodore nearly as much since the facilities just weren't on a par at the time. These were the days that Princess was still sailing the old Love Boat sized ships which were about the same size as Commodore.
I guess my point is is that many experienced cruisers might say "Don't ship on NCL, the other lines are much better", a first time cruiser would love NCL. Then of course after they fall in love with cruising (and of course they would) they can try other lines later and be able to compare.
I used NCL as an example. We've also sailed on RCCL, HAL, Celebrity... and I would sail NCL again without any concerns, as well as the other lines still around.

Donna May 7th, 2012 08:48 PM

All good points..We met a couple on Allure of the SEas that were doing their first cruise....I just can't imagine the next one after this ship with all the shows, restaurants, etc. I tryed to explain that to them, there are still many great cruises out there, but it would be difficult to top this one...

Truck Cruiser May 7th, 2012 11:05 PM

I would tell them to cruise Carnival. For a first time cruiser, the cost is low and the food and entertainment is very good. Carnival ships have a wow factor too, which new cruisers will be fascinated with and a great childrens program for family vacations. The low cost is a great factor because many people have reservations about "Being at Sea" and lets face it, cruising isn't for everyone.

IMHO.....Carnival is a great jumping off point to then move on to other cruise lines that have better dining and entertainment options.

Happy Sailing
Tim

MercedMike May 8th, 2012 09:52 AM

First Cruise

We have been in that situation many times with friends. (Of course in the office my DW does it all the time, but that is a different question.)

We tell them to pick the itinerary first. WHERE they go is more important, IMAO, than what line they go on. For a first cruise, the Caribbean or Alaska would be our suggestions. Cruising the Med or Asia seem a bit of a big bite for a first cruise.

Then we say that all the main stream mass market lines are pretty similar and that they will probably be happy on almost any of them. The customary descriptions of Carnival as party ships and HAL as a staid ship for old folks are no longer true. So we suggest they choose by embarkation port and convenient dates. And after that we suggest they look at price.

The cruising experience overall is more important than the particular cruise line. However our own particular favorites are HAL and Princess, so all things being equal we would say opt for one of those.

PeterC May 8th, 2012 01:43 PM

Truck cruiser makes the point that cruising isn't for everyone and that's sure true. I have friends who would never cruise. They're worry is feeling claustrophobic being "stuck" on a ship. Of course we cruise fans know that's not true. I recall one early morning sitting in the lido cafe before it had been open for food service other than coffee and pastries. We'd sailed the evening before so this was the first morning. And as I'm looking out the window watching Dall's porpoise race the ship there was a woman a couple of tables over complaining to her friend how bored she was and what a big mistake agreeing to go on a cruise was. Unless she later changed her mind, she was in for a long week!
I would never tell someone that they "must" go on a certain ship, type of cabin, or itinerary. I'd give my opinions of course but also let them know that they need to weigh their wants, likes, dislikes, when deciding on a cruise.

TLCMTravels May 9th, 2012 09:07 AM

Good Thoughts....

I am glad you understand what I was saying about we all like cruising for different reasons, but to say to someone who has never cruised the good things about cruising without including only what we like, now that..... takes some thinking on our part. Everyone is going to like cruising for reasons that are all there own, like Trip said, the ball is in there court after,
and as PeterC said we give them the facts and then they can decide. ;)

Me....Rather B Cruising!!!

Fieldmouse May 10th, 2012 01:23 PM

It's not always just a particular cruise line, but it can be a specific ship in that cruise line, the Captain, staff and crew that make the difference between a excellent cruise and one thats NOT so memorable. We had a wonderful cruise on HAL's Osterdam...when my son and his partner were planning a cruise off the eastern coast line, we really pressed they try Holland America...they relented and went on the Ryndam...had a terrible time...hated the food, service AND the ship...now no matter what we say about how wonderful HAL is they were so disappointed that they won't give HAL another chance. (First impressions can be the lasting ones) So...it's not always just a particular cruise line but the many other nuances, like the Captain, and staff attitude etc. that make cruising a magical experience! :D

PeterC May 10th, 2012 04:48 PM

We were on the Zaandam in Alaska and had an outstanding cruise. When we got back I saw a review from someone who was on the same cruise and they hated the cabin, the ship, the food, the entertainment and just about everything else other than Alaska itself.
Too many different opinions out there. Take everything with a grain of salt.

Trip May 10th, 2012 07:10 PM

So many great points made in this thread..cruising is not for everyone, people on the same cruise can have totally different experiences, etc. etc.

I would never not book a cruise, because of an opinion..There was a reason, I wanted to sail this ship,and I will, dag nabit:) Let me base my opinions, on my experiences, not someone elses. Couple of examples:I would not sail the Century again,and HAL only with my CM pals.

My friends were big HAL fans, I had sailed HAL before, for Cruisemates, but, was not my line of choice, but, we wanted to cruise w/ them. We sailed the Zuiderdam. We had terrible service in the DR. Years of good service stories went down the tubes. This ship, and, the Westerdam I sailed were so quiet at nigfht, I called them, the ghost ships...My friend who loved the line was very taken aback, with the service issues. The only way I would sail this line again, would be on a Cruisemate's cruise.

On the 2nd sailing on the Century, our table also had very bad service..so much so, one couple from our CM group, never ate in the MDR again. The tables around us, had spot on service... so, unless someone is in the middle of a situation tainting their experience, it's hard to fault someone's opinion, unless perhaps that person, is a chronic complainer, then with a grain of salt.:wink:

We can listen, and sail happily along

TLCMTravels May 10th, 2012 09:09 PM

It is very true that two people on the same ship, same time can have two different opinions.
Best to share thoughts to those who ask about cruising.
This is why I say "I" like it for "these" reasons, and they can say oh I would like that too, or yep not for me.
Our mood and state of mind can change even a good cruise to one we think was bottom on the list.
We can't all LOVE cruising for all the same reasons. I do think we can all Love cruising... well maybe ;)

Grain if salt for sure :rolleyes:

Fieldmouse May 11th, 2012 07:17 PM

I certainly learned my lesson! But on the other hand, if I read enough negative experiences about a particular ship, cruise line or itinerary...that does impact our cruising choice. That's one of the reasons we regularly visit the CruiseMate boards...not just to get an overall view of what's current, trendy etc. in cruising, but most importantly, to read about other Cruisers experiences, positive or negative. Where else would you have access to such a wide variety of cruising experience?! If there is ONE negative comment about a cruiseline of course we take that with a 'grain of salt'...but if there are several or many of the same type of comments...then that puts us on alert notice. We can still make the choice to go on that cruise or ship etc..but we've been warned. But now when giving an opinion about a cruiseline or ship, I now usually preface it with, "This was our experience on...'such and such' ship". It's safer ;)

PeterC May 11th, 2012 07:46 PM

It's so important to know what matters. I for example could care less about the CD on a ship. In fact, every cruise I've been on I've found them annoying. They weren't bad CD's either. That's just on me. But when I read reviews about either great or lousy CD's I just disregard those opinions.

katlady May 11th, 2012 08:22 PM

It would depend on the person. If it was a family with active kids between ages of 10 to 18. I would recommend Royal Caribbean either Freedom of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas, Oasis of the Seas, or Allure of the Seas.

If it was young to mid aged adults looking for fun and lots of activities. I would tell them to try one of Carnival's newer ships. Freedom, Conquest, Splendor or Magic. There is a fun party atmosphere on these ships. Also Carnival has more activities then Royal.

If it was an older couple looking to relax and a high level of service. But not to picky about food quality I would suggest a Celebrity ship. My experience with Celebrity was excellent service, great production shows, no organized day time activites and really bad food. The worst prime rib I have ever eaten was on the Infinity. How to you screw up the most fattest cut of beef. I have made many a prime rib, it's easy as heck.

Just be able ship you chose is sometimes is more important then the cruise line. Not all Royal ships have flow riders and ice rinks. Also the Royal Promenade on the ships I listed before gives the look of a shopping mall. If that is not for you then these ships are not what you are looking for. So research not only your cruise lines but the different ships for each itinerary that interests you. I hope that helps.:-D