CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   Insurance (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/389388-insurance.html)

Dhill May 15th, 2012 04:58 PM

Insurance

My wife and I just booked a 7 day Western Caribbean cruise aboard the Conquest.I was wondering when would be the best time to buy insurance? The cruise is not until 4/14/13.We did not have to put a deposit down Cruiseonly .com did that for us.Cruise only also wanted $170 for their insurane but I found some on the internet for only $75.So what does everyone think? thanks for your time and have a good day:)

Mike M May 15th, 2012 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dhill (Post 1428641)
My wife and I just booked a 7 day Western Caribbean cruise aboard the Conquest.I was wondering when would be the best time to buy insurance? The cruise is not until 4/14/13.We did not have to put a deposit down Cruiseonly .com did that for us.Cruise only also wanted $170 for their insurance but I found some on the internet for only $75.So what does everyone think? thanks for your time and have a good day:)

The best time to buy insurance is within seven to fourteen days of the initial booking. If you have "pre-existing conditions" it is almost a requirement. The pre-existing conditions clause is waived if you buy the insurance within this time frame.

There are other policies that also waive pre-existing conditions if you buy it at time of final payment but the majority do not have this option.

Ask your travel agent what policies they offer and what the pre-existing conditions waiver is.

If you are healthy with no pre-existing conditions you can purchase the insurance at any time up to sailing date.

I do not recommend cruise line insurance. There are better policies for equal or less money than what the cruise lines offer.

Take care,
Mike

Phil&Liz May 15th, 2012 06:48 PM

Mike said it all ! Get it ASAP after booking.

Donna May 15th, 2012 07:05 PM

Also, be sure to shop around for travel insurance and find the policy that is best for you...Yes, the cruiseline insurance sounds a bit high, but what all did it cover...You can compare by going to insuremytrip.com....I have personally used CSA for years and have had good customer service, even with a claim.

Fieldmouse May 15th, 2012 09:41 PM

The Travel Insurance might be cheaper BUT as Donna stated, What does it cover? Make sure the Company will come through if you need it. We take Travel Insurance for every cruise and have had to use it twice. We had to use it once through our AAA Agent and another time through RCCL..both were great! The Travel Insurance we got for our RCCL cruise was for a cruise we booked to Panama at the last minute. We got a nice deal on a suite. (still not cheap) We at first weren't going to get insurance because we were soooo close to sailing and my husband thought it would be a waste of money. Then suddenly ONE WEEK before the cruise I got seriously ill and we had to cancel. We were so thankful that we had gotten insurance. RCCL refunded every dime quickly with exception of the cost of the Insurance. Trust me we felt it was worth every penny! Just make sure the company is trustworthy. For us, we cruise...we get insurance!:D

Trip May 15th, 2012 09:48 PM

As someone who was recently disembarked off a ship,my husband spent 4 days in a hospital in St.Thomas, so I urge you to make sure whatever policy you buy, has a high amount for medivac, with repatriation. You never think it will happen to you, but, trust me....please...

Dhill May 16th, 2012 07:06 AM

Thanks for everyones reply we are still shopping around but we will be making a decision soon.Everyone have a good day and smooth sailing to all;)

MercedMike May 17th, 2012 11:12 AM

Cruise insurance

It is very important to emphasize that you need MORE than just cruise cancellation insurance.

Most policies (but be sure to check) cover hospitalization in foreign countries (which your regular policy may not, and Medicare does NOT), and the very very important medical evacuation if necessary.

Flying home to the US in an air ambulance, even from such a close by place as the Caribbean, can easily run $25,000.

In some instances, in fact, we buy ONLY the medical coverage and opt to self insure for the trip cancellation.