CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   Outdoor movie screens on ships (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/389625-outdoor-movie-screens-ships.html)

Lakers Fan May 28th, 2012 11:04 AM

Outdoor movie screens on ships

Are there ships that have on deck outdoor movie screens ? If so ,which ships are they ?

Snoozeman May 28th, 2012 11:27 AM

Almost all of them have an outdoor theater now. Unusual to not have one.

Mike M May 28th, 2012 11:51 AM

As Snoozeman said: "Almost all new ships on Princess, Royal Caribbean, Carnival, and NCL have the "Jumbo-tron" type screens. Some are around the pool area and others are in the atrium area (NCL). I personally dislike them. They are usually nothing but noise makers. They are fine for the evening movie but most of the time people sit through about 1/2 of the movie or fall asleep.

I do like it when they show a major event on them such as a major football, baseball, soccer, etc.. Not a fan of cruise line commercials and rock videos.

Take care,
Mike

Trip May 28th, 2012 12:13 PM

I watched one movie at sea..My Big Fat Greek Wedding on the Zuiderdam, at their inside theater. If I were to want to see a movie again, I would not watch it outside...Oh, I adored HAL's popcorn!

MercedMike May 28th, 2012 02:14 PM

Muts

MUTS (Movies Under The Stars) originated with Princess and I think all their ships are being retrofitted with it as they drydock.

It is actually sort of fun. You get a lounge chair and a blanket and they serve popcorn.

We watched Pirates of the Caribbean on Grand Princess in the Caribbean -- seemed very appropriate!

http://www.bully4.us/wc3.jpg

buttons16 May 28th, 2012 03:52 PM

A very inexpensive form of entertainment for the cruise line..I would rather have a great dinner, see a show and then maybe see a late night act or dance.

Truck Cruiser May 29th, 2012 01:55 AM

Personally.....Princess has better over all movies then Carnival. Seemed like most of the Carnival movies were for kids. Also, Princess has nicer loungers, serves popcorn and offers blankets to cover with if it gets a little chilly.

blueliner May 29th, 2012 12:06 PM

Kind of a funny story, I was sailing on the Carnival Liberty and while waiting to debark on the last day I was directed to the pool deck to sit and wait for my luggage number/color to be called. The Carnival Liberty had a large jumbo-tron screen on the pool deck and it was showing Headline News from CNN to the large number of passengers like myself that were waiting to be called to disembark. Sure enough, during a commercial break a commercial comes on for Royal Caribbean. So there I was, sitting on the Carnival Liberty watching a commercial for RCI! :oops: Just as the commercial was almost over, the screen went blank, Carnival shut it off. I got a good laugh anyway.

johnthed0g May 29th, 2012 12:14 PM

P&O Azura has one, we forgot it was there after a while, never used it.

Trackypup May 29th, 2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueliner (Post 1430328)
Kind of a funny story, I was sailing on the Carnival Liberty and while waiting to debark on the last day I was directed to the pool deck to sit and wait for my luggage number/color to be called. The Carnival Liberty had a large jumbo-tron screen on the pool deck and it was showing Headline News from CNN to the large number of passengers like myself that were waiting to be called to disembark. Sure enough, during a commercial break a commercial comes on for Royal Caribbean. So there I was, sitting on the Carnival Liberty watching a commercial for RCI! :oops: Just as the commercial was almost over, the screen went blank, Carnival shut it off. I got a good laugh anyway.

That happened to me. We were watching Monday Night Football on Princess and during the commercials there were ads for Allure of the Seas...pretty funny!

RayGuy January 24th, 2013 06:06 AM

We really enjoyed the Movies Under the Stars on the Star Princess during our Alaska cruise last August. It was cool at night but they provided lots of blankets and popcorn. Looking forward to movie nights on our Carnival Liberty cruise in February.

Ray

Rhapsody of the Seas - Nov 2006 - Caribbean
Mariner of the Seas - Oct 2008 - Caribbean
Norwegian Jewel - Sept 2010 - New York/New England/Maritimes
Bahamas Celebration - June 2011 - Bahamas
Star Princess - Aug 2012 - Alaska
Carnival Liberty - Feb 2013 - Caribbean

Bruce Chafkin1 January 24th, 2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buttons16 (Post 1430194)
A very inexpensive form of entertainment for the cruise line..I would rather have a great dinner, see a show and then maybe see a late night act or dance.

Inexpensive???

The Princess Movies Under the Stars screens cost $2 Million each.
The sound system attached is $500,000 each.
Then the cruise line has to pay royalties to the studios to allow them to legally show the movies to passengers.

Spending $2.5 million to show free movies does not strike me as inexpensive entertainment.

green_rd January 25th, 2013 08:59 AM

Have watched both Princess' MUTS and Carnival's Seaside Theatre; and the winer is ... Princess. Also enjoyed watching World Cup soccer on MUTS

Aerogirl January 25th, 2013 01:20 PM

On Carnival Freedom we watched Michael Jackson's This is it.
AWSOME place to see it.

Tommy Green January 30th, 2013 10:01 PM

Guess it depends on your ports of call...

We were on our Alaska cruise, and it's too cold to watch on princess MUTS.. ;)