CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   fun theme cruises (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/389660-fun-theme-cruises.html)

KellyKayden May 30th, 2012 07:23 AM

fun theme cruises

Anyone know of any fun theme cruises coming up in the next year or so? I know there are a few listed on this site, but I was wondering if there were any others anyone may know about.

Lakers Fan May 30th, 2012 11:15 AM

I have not heard of any but I am interested .

buttons16 May 30th, 2012 09:24 PM

I have read about a 50's cruise..I saw the article in the AAA montly news letter.

Lakers Fan May 30th, 2012 09:57 PM

50's

Quote:

Originally Posted by buttons16 (Post 1430508)
I have read about a 50's cruise..I saw the article in the AAA montly news letter.

50's music or for people in their 50's ?

buttons16 May 30th, 2012 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry43 (Post 1430512)
50's music or for people in their 50's ?

A 50's themed cruise..meaning sock hops and 50's music and 50's style clothing.

Lakers Fan May 31st, 2012 11:16 AM

Oh ,okay ,I was not sure .

Kuki May 31st, 2012 11:46 AM

There is a HUGE variety of theme cruises available. In fact you could say the current "theme" in the cruise industry is to theme cruises :)

There are theme cruises covering just about every musical gendre.. jazz cruises, country artist cruises, rock cruises, big band, classical, etc.

There are cruises built around political pundits, vamp cruises, cougar cruises, goth cruises, nude cruises, golf cruises, celebrity cruises, soap star cruises. The list is truly almost endless of different affinity groups putting together cruises.

UncommonCruises May 31st, 2012 04:14 PM

A good source for theme cruises

Kelly, there is a site that specializes in theme cruises. Not only do they describe the wide array of theme cruises, but they also list both cruise lines' and travel agents' current offerings.
Theme Cruise Finder lists over 500 Theme Cruises...

KellyKayden June 5th, 2012 07:01 PM

Thank you all!! Maybe the "newest" thing could be to start combining these things....like a 'nude, vamp, cougar cruise'....now we're talking!! LOL

KellyKayden June 11th, 2012 07:53 AM

Wow...thank you for that link! I've found about 15 cruises I have to get on in the next 6 months!...lol

Trip June 11th, 2012 08:30 AM

One of my favorite mystery writers,and many like authors, will be on a mystery writers cruise..sounded good..it's in January or February.I would like to go on a beaders cruise....wonder if I would ever leave the ship!

MercedMike June 11th, 2012 11:10 AM

Theme cruise

Well I just got an advertisement for a Nudist cruise on Carnival. Now there is a theme!

Carnival ships are the "Fun Ships" anyhow ...

KellyKayden June 11th, 2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MercedMike (Post 1432496)
Well I just got an advertisement for a Nudist cruise on Carnival. Now there is a theme!

Carnival ships are the "Fun Ships" anyhow ...

Ironically, my husband went on the carnival valor a few weeks back with some buddies. One stop was in key west where they went to a bar called "adam and eve"wich I guess is a nudist bar. Each friend bet him $50 to go "full monty" and he did. Easy wway to make a quick $150 I guess!

Now me....I don't think I ould EVER be able to do that...let alone a full cruise! Think of the dangers as you try to enjoy some hot soup while on roug water!

Lakers Fan June 11th, 2012 08:49 PM

I had a friend who was a nudist and I believe she went on some nudist cruises .

MercedMike June 12th, 2012 12:10 PM

Nudist cruise

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry43 (Post 1432552)
I had a friend who was a nudist and I believe she went on some nudist cruises .

It is my understanding that on such cruises it is a point of ethics to carry a towel into the dining room and sit on it. I certainly hope so. I wouldn't want to be on the ship the next week otherwise ... ;)

We also once went on a cruise which had a large contingent of "Bears" aboard. That is the nickname for gay men with a lot of body hair. They were fascinating and delightful people for the most part, but it did make quite a sight around the pool in their Speedos!

Paul Motter June 12th, 2012 02:15 PM

I was also going to mention Theme Cruise Finder - Theme Cruise Finder lists over 500 Theme Cruises...

The best place anywhere to see theme cruises.

Mike - you were on a "bears" cruise? There was a LOT of controversy about one of those a few years ago. But to be clear there were two different groups organizing the cruises, and one group was a lot less discrete than the other.

Here is a trick to make sure your cruise will not also have another large contigent of any group on board.

Before you book a cruise, Google the name of the ship, the date, and the words "group" or "theme"

I did this recently foir an article i was writing and found a "cross-dressing divas" group on the same cruise as a "Kosher Meals" group.

All I can say is, if the Barbara Steisand booked the divas cruise, I hope she was able to get the Kosher cruise wholesale!

(that is just a joke....)

Lakers Fan June 12th, 2012 03:04 PM

Wow ,what a great site .

KellyKayden June 12th, 2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Motter (Post 1432698)
I was also going to mention Theme Cruise Finder - Theme Cruise Finder lists over 500 Theme Cruises...

The best place anywhere to see theme cruises.

Mike - you were on a "bears" cruise? There was a LOT of controversy about one of those a few years ago. But to be clear there were two different groups organizing the cruises, and one group was a lot less discrete than the other.

Here is a trick to make sure your cruise will not also have another large contigent of any group on board.

Before you book a cruise, Google the name of the ship, the date, and the words "group" or "theme"

I did this recently foir an article i was writing and found a "cross-dressing divas" group on the same cruise as a "Kosher Meals" group.

All I can say is, if the Barbara Steisand booked the divas cruise, I hope she was able to get the Kosher cruise wholesale!

(that is just a joke....)

Could you imagine Babs on this cruise? She would be worshipped as a god!...lol...also, find it funny you had to specify as a joke.

So many of the cruises on that site look amazing...I have a list going now

Lakers Fan June 12th, 2012 04:03 PM

I knew Barbra before she learned how to sing .

Dave Beers June 12th, 2012 05:25 PM

I think Paul will agree with me about how much fun the Rock Legends cruise is. The first one was over-the-top in talent and the second one this coming January promises to be ever better.

Despite the theme and what many would assume about the passengers, the crew lauded the crowd as being "great", "very nice and polite", "wonderful people". Those are quotes given to me be three different crew members. Zero incidents involving security is what I was told. That pretty much never happens on a regular cruise.

KellyKayden June 12th, 2012 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Beers (Post 1432734)
I think Paul will agree with me about how much fun the Rock Legends cruise is. The first one was over-the-top in talent and the second one this coming January promises to be ever better.

Despite the theme and what many would assume about the passengers, the crew lauded the crowd as being "great", "very nice and polite", "wonderful people". Those are quotes given to me be three different crew members. Zero incidents involving security is what I was told. That pretty much never happens on a regular cruise.

That rock legends cruise sounds amazing, too bad january is crowded already, but I am hoping they decide to have a 3rd one!

There were quite a few music ones that I would love the chance to go on!

I could see people going on these special theme cruises not causing problems....since they are paying a premium for something they love they would not want to miss a beat of it!

MercedMike June 13th, 2012 01:31 PM

groups

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Motter (Post 1432698)

HMMM, didn't hear about any controversy. The guys on our cruise were delightful company, kind, thoughtful, fun to talk to, no problems whatsoever. They made quite a show around the pool but just by their fuzzy appearance, not by indiscreet conduct.

The one thing I do object to on group cruises is when they take over certain venues and exclude the public. Once we were with a jazz group. This was one of those ships where you had to pass through a central lounge to get to the dining room. The first two days, they blocked off that lounge, making passengers detour up a deck to get through the ship. I guess there were enough complaints, because after the third day the lounge was open even when they were having their jam sessions so in the end we got a little bonus. ;)