Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 30th, 2012, 07:23 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to KellyKayden
Default fun theme cruises

Anyone know of any fun theme cruises coming up in the next year or so? I know there are a few listed on this site, but I was wondering if there were any others anyone may know about.

"A painter paints pictures on a canvas, but musicians paint their pictures on silence"

Leopold Stokowski
Sponsored Links
Old May 30th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Admiral

I have not heard of any but I am interested .
Old May 30th, 2012, 09:24 PM
Banned
Captain

I have read about a 50's cruise..I saw the article in the AAA montly news letter.
Old May 30th, 2012, 09:57 PM
Admiral

Default 50's

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons16 View Post
I have read about a 50's cruise..I saw the article in the AAA montly news letter.

50's music or for people in their 50's ?
Old May 30th, 2012, 10:24 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
50's music or for people in their 50's ?
A 50's themed cruise..meaning sock hops and 50's music and 50's style clothing.
Old May 31st, 2012, 11:16 AM
Admiral

Oh ,okay ,I was not sure .
Old May 31st, 2012, 11:46 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

There is a HUGE variety of theme cruises available. In fact you could say the current "theme" in the cruise industry is to theme cruises

There are theme cruises covering just about every musical gendre.. jazz cruises, country artist cruises, rock cruises, big band, classical, etc.

There are cruises built around political pundits, vamp cruises, cougar cruises, goth cruises, nude cruises, golf cruises, celebrity cruises, soap star cruises. The list is truly almost endless of different affinity groups putting together cruises.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old May 31st, 2012, 04:14 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default A good source for theme cruises

Kelly, there is a site that specializes in theme cruises. Not only do they describe the wide array of theme cruises, but they also list both cruise lines' and travel agents' current offerings.
Theme Cruise Finder lists over 500 Theme Cruises...
Old June 5th, 2012, 07:01 PM
First Mate

Thank you all!! Maybe the "newest" thing could be to start combining these things....like a 'nude, vamp, cougar cruise'....now we're talking!!

"A painter paints pictures on a canvas, but musicians paint their pictures on silence"

Leopold Stokowski
Old June 11th, 2012, 07:53 AM
First Mate

Wow...thank you for that link! I've found about 15 cruises I have to get on in the next 6 months!...lol

Leopold Stokowski
Old June 11th, 2012, 08:30 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

One of my favorite mystery writers,and many like authors, will be on a mystery writers cruise..sounded good..it's in January or February.I would like to go on a beaders cruise....wonder if I would ever leave the ship!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 11th, 2012, 11:10 AM
Admiral

Talking Theme cruise

Well I just got an advertisement for a Nudist cruise on Carnival. Now there is a theme!

Carnival ships are the "Fun Ships" anyhow ...

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old June 11th, 2012, 11:26 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedMike View Post
Well I just got an advertisement for a Nudist cruise on Carnival. Now there is a theme!

Carnival ships are the "Fun Ships" anyhow ...
Ironically, my husband went on the carnival valor a few weeks back with some buddies. One stop was in key west where they went to a bar called "adam and eve"wich I guess is a nudist bar. Each friend bet him $50 to go "full monty" and he did. Easy wway to make a quick $150 I guess!

Now me....I don't think I ould EVER be able to do that...let alone a full cruise! Think of the dangers as you try to enjoy some hot soup while on roug water!

Leopold Stokowski
Old June 11th, 2012, 08:49 PM
Admiral

I had a friend who was a nudist and I believe she went on some nudist cruises .
Old June 12th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Admiral

Talking Nudist cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
I had a friend who was a nudist and I believe she went on some nudist cruises .
It is my understanding that on such cruises it is a point of ethics to carry a towel into the dining room and sit on it. I certainly hope so. I wouldn't want to be on the ship the next week otherwise ...

We also once went on a cruise which had a large contingent of "Bears" aboard. That is the nickname for gay men with a lot of body hair. They were fascinating and delightful people for the most part, but it did make quite a sight around the pool in their Speedos!

Old June 12th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I was also going to mention Theme Cruise Finder - Theme Cruise Finder lists over 500 Theme Cruises...

The best place anywhere to see theme cruises.

Mike - you were on a "bears" cruise? There was a LOT of controversy about one of those a few years ago. But to be clear there were two different groups organizing the cruises, and one group was a lot less discrete than the other.

Here is a trick to make sure your cruise will not also have another large contigent of any group on board.

Before you book a cruise, Google the name of the ship, the date, and the words "group" or "theme"

I did this recently foir an article i was writing and found a "cross-dressing divas" group on the same cruise as a "Kosher Meals" group.

All I can say is, if the Barbara Steisand booked the divas cruise, I hope she was able to get the Kosher cruise wholesale!

(that is just a joke....)
Old June 12th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Admiral

Wow ,what a great site .
Old June 12th, 2012, 03:57 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
I was also going to mention Theme Cruise Finder - Theme Cruise Finder lists over 500 Theme Cruises...

The best place anywhere to see theme cruises.

Mike - you were on a "bears" cruise? There was a LOT of controversy about one of those a few years ago. But to be clear there were two different groups organizing the cruises, and one group was a lot less discrete than the other.

Here is a trick to make sure your cruise will not also have another large contigent of any group on board.

Before you book a cruise, Google the name of the ship, the date, and the words "group" or "theme"

I did this recently foir an article i was writing and found a "cross-dressing divas" group on the same cruise as a "Kosher Meals" group.

All I can say is, if the Barbara Steisand booked the divas cruise, I hope she was able to get the Kosher cruise wholesale!

(that is just a joke....)
Could you imagine Babs on this cruise? She would be worshipped as a god!...lol...also, find it funny you had to specify as a joke.

So many of the cruises on that site look amazing...I have a list going now

Leopold Stokowski
Old June 12th, 2012, 04:03 PM
Admiral

I knew Barbra before she learned how to sing .
Old June 12th, 2012, 05:25 PM
Admiral

I think Paul will agree with me about how much fun the Rock Legends cruise is. The first one was over-the-top in talent and the second one this coming January promises to be ever better.

Despite the theme and what many would assume about the passengers, the crew lauded the crowd as being "great", "very nice and polite", "wonderful people". Those are quotes given to me be three different crew members. Zero incidents involving security is what I was told. That pretty much never happens on a regular cruise.
Old June 12th, 2012, 05:39 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Beers View Post
I think Paul will agree with me about how much fun the Rock Legends cruise is. The first one was over-the-top in talent and the second one this coming January promises to be ever better.

Despite the theme and what many would assume about the passengers, the crew lauded the crowd as being "great", "very nice and polite", "wonderful people". Those are quotes given to me be three different crew members. Zero incidents involving security is what I was told. That pretty much never happens on a regular cruise.
That rock legends cruise sounds amazing, too bad january is crowded already, but I am hoping they decide to have a 3rd one!

There were quite a few music ones that I would love the chance to go on!

I could see people going on these special theme cruises not causing problems....since they are paying a premium for something they love they would not want to miss a beat of it!

Leopold Stokowski
Old June 13th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Admiral

Talking groups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post

HMMM, didn't hear about any controversy. The guys on our cruise were delightful company, kind, thoughtful, fun to talk to, no problems whatsoever. They made quite a show around the pool but just by their fuzzy appearance, not by indiscreet conduct.

The one thing I do object to on group cruises is when they take over certain venues and exclude the public. Once we were with a jazz group. This was one of those ships where you had to pass through a central lounge to get to the dining room. The first two days, they blocked off that lounge, making passengers detour up a deck to get through the ship. I guess there were enough complaints, because after the third day the lounge was open even when they were having their jam sessions so in the end we got a little bonus.