Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old June 1st, 2012, 11:08 AM
Member
Familiar Face
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 98
Default Somali waters cruise report from friend

The only reported injury from the Somali waters was a mashed finger which I got closing a drawer in the dark and getting my finger where it didn't belong. It was cool to see a few good men (Royal Marines) board for three days / four nights, with weapons. They butcher papered all outside windows and turned the lights off for three nights. No balcony access (draw the drapes and stay inside) and no outside deck access after dark. Strange doing every thing by just 'night light'. The Marines left as they came - their own launch - and I guess they went back to board a ship going the other way. No incidents, thank God.
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old June 1st, 2012, 11:31 AM
Banned
Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eastern Pennsylvania
Posts: 519
Default

Why in the world would anyone want to cruise in those waters...I hear they had a cruise rep sitting at a desk on deck 7 offering a free cruise and $1000 to anyone who would book the same cruise again.

I guess people travel to area even the Govt says to stay away from just to prove a point...Just dont be so surprised when something bad does happen. People have no one to blame but themselfs...go to and cruise in probaly the most dangerous waters on earth at this time is IMHO not too bright.
  #3 (permalink)  
Old June 1st, 2012, 12:28 PM
green_rd's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Indianapolis (USA)
Posts: 5,422
Default

Buttons: I don't think anyone books a cruise to Somali waters but they are a necessity on a cruise from the Indian Ocean to the Med. Unless of course you want to sail around Africa.
__________________
Bob

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
  #4 (permalink)  
Old June 1st, 2012, 12:43 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,207
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd View Post
Buttons: I don't think anyone books a cruise to Somali waters but they are a necessity on a cruise from the Indian Ocean to the Med. Unless of course you want to sail around Africa.
That's one that we really want to do. Dubai to Rome or somewhere in the Med. Petra is very high on my bucket list.
__________________
Upcoming:

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
  #5 (permalink)  
Old June 1st, 2012, 02:02 PM
Banned
Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eastern Pennsylvania
Posts: 519
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd View Post
Buttons: I don't think anyone books a cruise to Somali waters but they are a necessity on a cruise from the Indian Ocean to the Med. Unless of course you want to sail around Africa.
When people book a cruise they know if the ship will sail in Somali waters...To hope and pry that nothing happens is not a very enteraining or enjoyfull cruise. No cruise is a necessity. If you have to delay a cruise to a certain region because of dangerous reasons then that is what you do until the situation gets under control if it does get under control. If you decide to cruise any way then its on you (the person making that descision). Why would anyone put themselfs in harms way like that I'll never figure out.
  #6 (permalink)  
Old June 2nd, 2012, 10:39 AM
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Newport Oregon
Posts: 685
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons16 View Post
When people book a cruise they know if the ship will sail in Somali waters...To hope and pry that nothing happens is not a very enteraining or enjoyfull cruise. No cruise is a necessity. If you have to delay a cruise to a certain region because of dangerous reasons then that is what you do until the situation gets under control if it does get under control. If you decide to cruise any way then its on you (the person making that descision). Why would anyone put themselfs in harms way like that I'll never figure out.
But isnt that what you do every time you take a cruise? Is to hope and pray that nothing happens? No matter where the ship is headed.All cruises are dangerous.Everytime you step foot on a ship and head to sea ther is a risk.Granted some areas of the world are more dangerous then others.But if someone wants to live a little and take a chance now and then more power to them! Take care and have a nice day
  #7 (permalink)  
Old June 2nd, 2012, 11:02 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 18,199
Default Analogy

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons16 View Post
When people book a cruise they know if the ship will sail in Somali waters...To hope and pry that nothing happens is not a very enteraining or enjoyfull cruise. No cruise is a necessity. If you have to delay a cruise to a certain region because of dangerous reasons then that is what you do until the situation gets under control if it does get under control. If you decide to cruise any way then its on you (the person making that descision). Why would anyone put themselfs in harms way like that I'll never figure out.

Thats like saying if there are alot of car accidents on a specific highway you will avoid taking the highway .
  #8 (permalink)  
Old June 2nd, 2012, 01:38 PM
Banned
Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eastern Pennsylvania
Posts: 519
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhill View Post
But isnt that what you do every time you take a cruise? Is to hope and pray that nothing happens? No matter where the ship is headed.All cruises are dangerous.Everytime you step foot on a ship and head to sea ther is a risk.Granted some areas of the world are more dangerous then others.But if someone wants to live a little and take a chance now and then more power to them! Take care and have a nice day
Actually its more like...I wont take Delta to Miami because nothing much happens...But I will take American because they have had a few planes discovered with cracks in the engine mounts.

You know that taking a cruise to bermuda is Much safer then taking a cruise into Somali waters...Ship after ship have been taken by pirates in that area...Fire fights are not uncommon....When was the last time you heard of a hijacked cruise ship in the Carribean, Alaska or to Bermuda.

How many ship have been taken in waters just off Africa ?
  #9 (permalink)  
Old June 2nd, 2012, 01:39 PM
Banned
Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eastern Pennsylvania
Posts: 519
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
Thats like saying if there are alot of car accidents on a specific highway you will avoid taking the highway .
NO its nothing like your example.
  #10 (permalink)  
Old June 2nd, 2012, 01:56 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,207
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons16 View Post
Actually its more like...I wont take Delta to Miami because nothing much happens...But I will take American because they have had a few planes discovered with cracks in the engine mounts.

You know that taking a cruise to bermuda is Much safer then taking a cruise into Somali waters...Ship after ship have been taken by pirates in that area...Fire fights are not uncommon....When was the last time you heard of a hijacked cruise ship in the Carribean, Alaska or to Bermuda.

How many ship have been taken in waters just off Africa ?
When was the last time a full sized cruise ship was hijacked off the coast of Africa? Totally different from a sailing ship or a cargo ship. You think Bermuda is dangerous for God sake - you maybe just a titch paranoid about traveling
__________________
Upcoming:

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
  #11 (permalink)  
Old June 2nd, 2012, 02:41 PM
Banned
Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eastern Pennsylvania
Posts: 519
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackypup View Post
when was the last time a full sized cruise ship was hijacked off the coast of africa? Totally different from a sailing ship or a cargo ship. You think bermuda is dangerous for god sake - you maybe just a titch paranoid about traveling
why dont you stop the nit picking with everything I say...you know exactly what i mean....it is more dangerous to cruise in waters off of africa then in the carribean...that is a fact that you can argue with yourself.

Why dont you go hiking in lebanon or syria, or iraq..next you will tell me you have no interest but if you did have interest you would...which country is it safer to hike in...Iraq or Vancouver...if you say Vancouver I will say you are a titch paranoid about traveling.
  #12 (permalink)  
Old June 2nd, 2012, 02:45 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,207
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons16 View Post
why dont you stop the nit picking with everything i say...you know exactly what i mean....it is more dangerous to cruise in waters off of africa then in the carribean...that is a fact that you can argue with yourself.
Really? I don't remember a 14 year old girl getting shot like there was in St Thomas or a bus load of tourists being robbed. Rock = 32 , Somalian Pirates = 0. I wouldn't argue with you if you made any sense.

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2010/11...ports-of-call/
__________________
Upcoming:

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
  #13 (permalink)  
Old June 2nd, 2012, 02:53 PM
Banned
Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eastern Pennsylvania
Posts: 519
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackypup View Post
Really? I don't remember a 14 year old girl getting shot like there was in St Thomas or a bus load of tourists being robbed. Rock = 32 , Somalian Pirates = 0. I wouldn't argue with you if you made any sense.
It seems you are the one who is in denial...You seem to think (ASSUME) that it is just as safe to cruise near Africa then it is in the Carribean...Have you ever been invovled in an exchange of gun fire..I have in the Military...I am pretty sure you have'nt...and it is not fun or pretty..you could'nt dream or imagine the things I saw in the Army during war time.

Being in waters that are pirate infested is only asking for trouble, wheather you want to believe it or not....fight with yourself on this issue because it is you who is not making any sense. I have fought for this country and put my life on the line and i am entittled to my opinion..as for your statement of "you would'nt argue with me if I made sense"...well I am making perfect sense....It is you who is looking to nit pick on everything I write about.. Awaiting your reply...100...99...98.
  #14 (permalink)  
Old June 2nd, 2012, 11:21 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,207
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons16 View Post
It seems you are the one who is in denial...You seem to think (ASSUME) that it is just as safe to cruise near Africa then it is in the Carribean...Have you ever been invovled in an exchange of gun fire..I have in the Military...I am pretty sure you have'nt...and it is not fun or pretty..you could'nt dream or imagine the things I saw in the Army during war time.

Being in waters that are pirate infested is only asking for trouble, wheather you want to believe it or not....fight with yourself on this issue because it is you who is not making any sense. I have fought for this country and put my life on the line and i am entittled to my opinion..as for your statement of "you would'nt argue with me if I made sense"...well I am making perfect sense....It is you who is looking to nit pick on everything I write about.. Awaiting your reply...100...99...98.
Mark, stop putting words into my mouth. I never said it's "Safe". I merely pointed out that any place at any time crap can happen. Cruise Ships are pretty well protected through the Gulf of Eden. You called people "not too bright" for booking these cruises. Fact is more people on cruise ships have been killed in the Caribbean or sailing the Med. than attacked by Pirates off the coast of Somalia. Most world cruises take that route. They take precautions, they have an escort sometimes.

I'm still waiting for you to come up with the stats on how many Cruise Ship passengers have been kidnapped or harmed sailing these waters.

PS..a hiker died in Vancouver today
__________________
Upcoming:

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets

Last edited by Trackypup; June 2nd, 2012 at 11:42 PM.
  #15 (permalink)  
Old June 3rd, 2012, 09:25 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 18,199
Default Geography

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons16 View Post
why dont you stop the nit picking with everything I say...you know exactly what i mean....it is more dangerous to cruise in waters off of africa then in the carribean...that is a fact that you can argue with yourself.

Why dont you go hiking in lebanon or syria, or iraq..next you will tell me you have no interest but if you did have interest you would...which country is it safer to hike in...Iraq or Vancouver...if you say Vancouver I will say you are a titch paranoid about traveling.

Vancouver is NOT a country .
  #16 (permalink)  
Old June 3rd, 2012, 01:52 PM
Banned
Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eastern Pennsylvania
Posts: 519
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackypup View Post
Mark, stop putting words into my mouth. I never said it's "Safe". I merely pointed out that any place at any time crap can happen. Cruise Ships are pretty well protected through the Gulf of Eden. You called people "not too bright" for booking these cruises. Fact is more people on cruise ships have been killed in the Caribbean or sailing the Med. than attacked by Pirates off the coast of Somalia. Most world cruises take that route. They take precautions, they have an escort sometimes.

I'm still waiting for you to come up with the stats on how many Cruise Ship passengers have been kidnapped or harmed sailing these waters.

PS..a hiker died in Vancouver today
And I say and will continue to say that its more likely to encounter danger in pirate infested waters off the coast of Africa then sailing around the Carribean, That is a fact if that was'nt a fact why in the world would they need escorts to travel near the coast of Africa.
As for the hiker who died in Vancouver...Im pretty sure he was'nt attacked by pirates...you omitted the reason for his death...
  #17 (permalink)  
Old June 3rd, 2012, 02:11 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,207
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons16 View Post
As for the hiker who died in Vancouver...Im pretty sure he was'nt attacked by pirates...you omitted the reason for his death...
What a short memory you have...didn't you post that hiking in Vancouver would be safer than Lebanon, Syria or Iraq? Pretty sure they're not Pirate hangouts either.

This is what I think get's you into trouble with most of what you've posted so far since becoming a member of Cruisemates. You can't seem to keep your own posts straight and always turn the agressor. Looking back at your posting history you've managed to turn each and every one of them nasty which is quite sad as this is a pretty friendly place to hang out.

You haven't cruised in 7 years yet insist that Bermuda isn't safe for cruisers. You insist that specialty restaurants should be free, yet you haven't stepped foot in one in 7 years. Times change, you may want to actually cruise again before having such strong opinions. This is a fantastic place for sharing information and experiences...your attitude is ruining that.
__________________
Upcoming:

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
  #18 (permalink)  
Old June 3rd, 2012, 02:53 PM
Banned
Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eastern Pennsylvania
Posts: 519
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackypup View Post
What a short memory you have...didn't you post that hiking in Vancouver would be safer than Lebanon, Syria or Iraq? Pretty sure they're not Pirate hangouts either.

This is what I think get's you into trouble with most of what you've posted so far since becoming a member of Cruisemates. You can't seem to keep your own posts straight and always turn the agressor. Looking back at your posting history you've managed to turn each and every one of them nasty which is quite sad as this is a pretty friendly place to hang out.

You haven't cruised in 7 years yet insist that Bermuda isn't safe for cruisers. You insist that specialty restaurants should be free, yet you haven't stepped foot in one in 7 years. Times change, you may want to actually cruise again before having such strong opinions. This is a fantastic place for sharing information and experiences...your attitude is ruining that.
I wonder where you are coming from ?????
You posted that a hiker died in Vancouver not me...so please explain what you are talking about...

Yes I did post that it is more Dangerous to hike in Syria, Lebanon and Iraq...what is your point? I was making the point that it is more dangerous because you always seem to think its safe everywhere, so I was making a point that one place is more dangerous then another..You mentioned that "Crap" happens everywhere...well it happens more in some places then others, and I was wondering why people would go to places where "crap" happens often.

As far as Bermuda goes...I stated it is not as safe as it use to be...gangs have developed in Bermuda...I have a 2012 guide book on Bermuda...it stated that Motor scooters are routinely stolen. Violent crime is on the raise along with drug dealing and use. They also state the areas you should not go to after sunset...the guide also states that security cameras are being installed on most major streets...does this tell you something, is that a hint as to the direction Bermuda is heading.. Its right their in the Guide, but you know better.

I am also wondering why in the section about the teacher and the child you have not responded to a poster whom agrees with me...it seems you only respond to my posts...explain that...why arent you defending your position against the other poster ? Just saying....or is it you are waiting for me to post something.
I IMO also find you to be nit picky and nasty.
  #19 (permalink)  
Old June 3rd, 2012, 02:59 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,207
Default

You see that's where we differ. I'm perfectly fine letting others have an opinion without jumping all over them. I've stated my opinion on that thread and don't need to keep beating a dead horse the way others seem to. As you can't even keep your own posts straight, I'm kind of done with you. It's like talking to a two year old..everytime I respond you change your story even though it's sitting there in black and white. Bizarre behaviour for an adult.
__________________
Upcoming:

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
  #20 (permalink)  
Old June 3rd, 2012, 05:56 PM
Banned
Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eastern Pennsylvania
Posts: 519
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackypup View Post
You see that's where we differ. I'm perfectly fine letting others have an opinion without jumping all over them. I've stated my opinion on that thread and don't need to keep beating a dead horse the way others seem to. As you can't even keep your own posts straight, I'm kind of done with you. It's like talking to a two year old..everytime I respond you change your story even though it's sitting there in black and white. Bizarre behaviour for an adult.
To be honest...I am done with you...You seem to only respond to my posts when their is difference of opinion...But you never respond to other peoples posts when they differ from you...IMHO you are very nit picky with my posts...if your done with me or not really does'nt bother or matter to me, somehow I will manage. The only comfort I get out of that is that I wont have you nit picking on just about anything I write. You think maybe you are also beating a dead horse, or is that one sided also.

You are the one that posted a Vancouver hiker died...why you posted that in the first place you have yet to explain...but you made it seem like I brought that up.
  #21 (permalink)  
Old June 3rd, 2012, 06:09 PM
Banned
Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eastern Pennsylvania
Posts: 519
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackypup View Post

PS..a hiker died in Vancouver today
There it is in black and white, you posted a hiker died in Vancouver...

I see you deleted your cursing post before anyone else saw it...good move.
  #22 (permalink)  
Old June 3rd, 2012, 06:17 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,207
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons16 View Post
There it is in black and white, you posted a hiker died in Vancouver...

I see you deleted your cursing post before anyone else saw it...good move.
Are you really this thick? You seriously don't get why I posted that? Come on? Go back and read your own posts. If you need me to connect the dots, you compared hiking in Vancouver to the hiking in the Middle East...with me so far, I'm trying to talk slow and use small words...I said that crap can happen anywhere and in fact a hiker died in Vancouver yesterday...and another one today actually. So you brought up hiking in Vancouver and you really don't understand why I would say a hiker died. Really?

And can we please just stop? This is so negative for boards. You really don't have to keep saying the same thing over and over again. Stop letting You Tube run your life and travel.
__________________
Upcoming:

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
  #23 (permalink)  
Old June 3rd, 2012, 06:26 PM
Banned
Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eastern Pennsylvania
Posts: 519
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackypup View Post
Are you really this thick? You seriously don't get why I posted that? Come on? Go back and read your own posts. If you need me to connect the dots, you compared hiking in Vancouver to the hiking in the Middle East...with me so far, I'm trying to talk slow and use small words...I said that crap can happen anywhere and in fact a hiker died in Vancouver yesterday...and another one today actually. So you brought up hiking in Vancouver and you really don't understand why I would say a hiker died. Really?

And can we please just stop? This is so negative for boards. You really don't have to keep saying the same thing over and over again. Stop letting You Tube run your life and travel.
I still think it was a good move that you deleted your cursing post.

Like I stated before and will continue to do so as long as you keep this thread going.
I brought up the fact about hiking because, (now I hope you repeat this to yourself so you finally understand)....you stated crap happens anywhere...now take this sloooow....I stated crap (using that word because that is how you first described it) is more likely to happen in certain parts of the world...EXAMPLE :
I brought up the fact that the waters off of Africa is more dangerous then sailing in the carribean...and your answer was that CRAP happen all over...Now lets go sloooower...My point was that their is more of a chance that something can go wrong in pirate infested waters then the Carribean...BUT you just cant aborb that...not sure why...

P.S. I thought you were done with me...BTW..I do appriciate that you deleted that cursing post.
  #24 (permalink)  
Old June 3rd, 2012, 06:32 PM
Mike M's Avatar
Administrator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: You're Looking At Me
Posts: 23,789
Default

This is enough.

I am locking this thread and continued "in-fighting" on other threads will not be allowed.

I stated before that each person is allowed their opinion but berating and atagonizing is not.

Take care,
Mike
__________________
Cruisemates Community Leader/Moderator

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
attacked, cruise, kidnapped, people, pirates, ship, ships, somali

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SW Man seeking a Female cabinmate to cruise warm waters cruisewithMax Seeking Cruise Companion 2 December 14th, 2008 01:34 PM
Need help talking sense to a friend about a cruise Beetlegator Singles 3 December 8th, 2008 03:13 PM
looking for a friend from a cruise susan j Crewmembers 0 March 14th, 2008 08:25 PM
comparing cruise waters suefish Princess Cruise Lines 2 September 27th, 2004 12:06 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:05 AM.
design by: Themes by Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1