Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 8th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Admiral

Default Rainy days and cruising

If you cruised to a tropical isle and it was raining heavily would you get off the ship anyway ?If your original intent was to go to a beach what would you do instead ?
Sponsored Links
Old June 8th, 2012, 01:51 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to KellyKayden

In march, we were greeted to st. Thomas with rain. (Off subjest, watching the rain clouds move over the island and water was one of the most beautiful things I ever saw)

I wanted to stay on board but my friend insisted we get off. Now, ohio is well known for humidity.....but the humidity on the island after the rain was like nothing I had ever expeienced before! It was like breathing under water!

Also....my hair is naturally VERY curly and I have a lot of it. I of course forgot to grab a hair cclip so I had quite the impressive cotton ball head going on until we got to a gift shop!...lol

We did not go to the beach, but we still toured the island

"A painter paints pictures on a canvas, but musicians paint their pictures on silence"

Leopold Stokowski
Old June 8th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Admiral

I would always get off a ship no matter how rainy it might be .
Old June 8th, 2012, 02:30 PM
Admiral

I always bring a rain poncho so yes I would get off the ship as long as it was only rain and not a bad storm. I would just roam around and see stuff.
It rained when we were in Jamaica near the end of our day but we still just walked around going in and out of the shops. It added to the fun of it or at least for me it did.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old June 8th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Admiral

We were greeted by torrential rains in St. Thomas and were shocked that Princess did not cancel our catarmaran shore excursion. We debated just saying forget it and stay onboard but we went anyway. Sitting in an open sided bus in just a downpour but by the time we got to the boat, beautiful sunny sky and not a rain cloud in site. Glad we didn't bail (no pun intended )

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old June 8th, 2012, 07:00 PM
Banned
Captain

I never melted from rain...I would hope that the rain would pass while touring the Island.
Old June 8th, 2012, 08:20 PM
Admiral

Several years ago, when Rob and I were in Cozumel, it started to rain "like cats and dogs". Many of the people went back to the ship. Rob and I headed to the stores where they were "only quite ready to bargain". The rain definitely did not "rain on our parade".
Old June 8th, 2012, 09:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Well, there's rain,and then there's rain! I was in the hospital watching the rain in St Thomas Kelly was speaking of, and, it was a 2 day storm.. while bad, it didn't compare to the torrential downpours of Grand Cayman one year. We watched the lightning off the aft of the ship, which was electrifying! Once the light show ceased, we decided to get off the ship. As we wandered down to the gangplank area, we saw all the people coming back soaked to the skin,and miserable.....we turned around and went back up...

I think it depends if you have been to the port before or you are a first timer...I have dealt with showers which is so commom, but storms with no end, nope...give me a foo foo under the magridome please

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; August 22nd, 2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old June 9th, 2012, 04:46 AM
Familiar Face

Rain in foreign countries never worries me, afterall its often like walking in a hot shower...the heaviest rain I have experienced when cruising was in Rio de Janeiro last year, it threw it down all day...missed all the usual photo opportunities, but it was OK, warm rain and you quickly dried again, so apart from losing the iconic views as you sailed into and out of the port, it was fine.

Going back to Rio next year...have ordered fine weather

On my cruise in 2010 that spent 3 days in Mumbai, it rained for a few hours on the second day....really hard stair-rod rain...again though it wasn't a hardship and it was still over 90 degree heat, so again it was like taking a shower at home...only difference that we were all fully clothed

Costa Pacifica - Dec 2012
Costa Favolosa - June 2013
Costa Deliziosa - Dec 2013

Past :

1965 - Cunard Queen Mary, 1967 - Cunard Queen Elizabeth, 1970 - Cunard Queen Elizabeth 2, 1971 - P&O Oriana, 1972 - SS France, 1975 - SS Leopard, 1977 - P&O Canberra, 2005 - NCL Jewel, 2005/6 - NCL Crown, 2006 - FOCL Braemar, 2007 - FOCL Braemar, 2007 - FOCL Braemar, 2007 - NCL Gem, 2008 - Costa Allegra, 2010 - Costa Allegra 34 Day B2B, 2011 - Costa Victoria, 2012 - Costa Classica
Old June 10th, 2012, 08:34 AM
Admiral

Rainy Days and Mondays Always Get Me Down ... unless I am on vacation

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Old June 10th, 2012, 03:03 PM
First Mate

Last time we were docked in Cozumel, it was raining and I was unprepared (no umbrella or poncho). I have been to Coz so many other times..and while I was somewhat disappointed at not getting off due to rain...It was not that big a deal. If I had it ti do over, I would have packed a small umbrella or rain poncho! I simply did not want too ruin the hair and makeup I had worked on all morning.

CarnivalTriumph
Old June 10th, 2012, 09:03 PM
Jason Leppert

Let's open the question up even further how do you view rain on cruises to other parts of the world such as Europe or in Alaska?
Old June 10th, 2012, 09:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

When we were in Dubrovnik last spring, it was cool and showery. We dressed accordingly in layers.I didn't care a whit. The rain was light. We went, we saw, we conquered..I would have been sad though if we had downpours, but, I did bring those plastic ponchos just in case. That was our only day of showers.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; June 13th, 2012 at 11:09 PM.
Old June 10th, 2012, 09:25 PM
Admiral

Dubrovnik was were we got poured on to. We stayed on the ship until around 10:30 instead of getting off bright and early. We just took umbrellas and dealt with it. I think we did something similiar in Ketchikan, just waited for the hard stuff to pass for an hour.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old June 11th, 2012, 08:13 AM
Admiral

Jason that is an interesting twist. With a Caribbean cruise the goal is usually primarily Fun & Sun so rain might slow you down - even shopping in the rain can be a pain.

For North Americans the goal in port for European or Asian cruises are to see the sites. A little rain should not get in the way. We had only one wet day on our Med cruise so did not have too much problem. On a land trip the the UK we were offered a very wet forecast - we tried to plan "wet" (mostly indoor) and "dry" (mostly outdoor) days, and to act accordingly.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Old June 13th, 2012, 10:01 PM
Admiral

Yes I always get off the ship even in the rain. I work outside and I have a saying, "If I can work in the rain I can play in the rain".
Old August 22nd, 2012, 06:15 AM
Familiar Face

I live in Seattle... we always say "We don't tan, We rust". Nuff said! lolhttp://www.cruisemates.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_.gif
Old August 22nd, 2012, 09:30 AM
Administrator
Admiral

We always leave a couple of the cheap rain ponchos in the outer pocket of the luggage. We bought them when we went to Tahiti and we used three or four of them there. After that we never needed them "until" we were in Cozumel and it was pouring rain. Well, we had new luggage and no rain ponchos. So now we always pack the rain ponchos so it won't rain.

BTW: If it was an island I'd been to a number of times like Cozumel I would probably stay on the ship. If it was somewhere I hadn't been I would get off even if I had to buy some sort of outerwear to handle the weather.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me