CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   Who was the most interesting person you have ever cruised with? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/390062-who-most-interesting-person-you-have-ever-cruised.html)

amiable June 20th, 2012 07:21 AM

Who was the most interesting person you have ever cruised with?

The most interesting cruisemate I have ever cruised with.

My candidate for the most interesting person I have ever met to this point in time was a super lawyer who I was priviliged to share a table for dinners on the Celebrity Solstice.

He had been part of the team that had won a court case in a nmajor Canadia tainted blood supply case. As I understand the situation, until September 28, 1998, the Canadian Red Cross was responsible for all blood services in Canada. It was removed from this position because of the nation-wide controversy when it was revealed that between 1986 and 1990 it had supplied tainted blood to patients despite knowing of a test that might have detected the infection in some cases. In 1994, an investigation found that 95 percent of hemophiliacs who used blood products supplied by the Canadian Red Cross before 1990 had contracted Hepatitis C. More than 1100 Canadians were infected with HIV and 20,000 contracted Hepatitis C from blood transfusions given by the Red Cross during that period. He had also won a lawsuit for Canadian Indians against the Canadian government.
And yet with all his track record of professional success, he was a very down-to-earth man. The conversations were interesting and intellectually stimulating. His mother who was traveling with him was a charmer and talked about the farm that she raised her family and Goldie Hahn is a neighbor. In addition to discussions about art, music and movies, one of the subjects discussed was the location of the skulll of Lieutenant General Montcalm. I had mentioned that some years before I had taken my son to Quebec, and we had seen the General's skull in a glass case while touring a convent. They filled in what had happened to the skull and the convent. It seems that General Louis-Joseph, Marquis de Montcalm, was mortally wounded during The Battle of the Plains of Abraham, also known as the Battle of Quebec, His skull and a leg bone, were exhumed in the 1800s and put on display at the Ursulines of Quebec convent in a stone crypt. September 2001, Montcalm's remains were re-buried in a stone mausoleum in the cemetery of the Quebec General Hospital (Hôpital général de Québec), where casualties from both sides of the battle had been buried.
It was an interesting story and one among many that occured during the cruise.

The generosity of the super lawyecr was demonstrated when his mother showed up at the dinner table with a diamond necklace and matching earrings that had been purchased on the ship.
His generosity was further demonstrated by his purchase of ice-wine for his tablemates. A treat which I might not have enjoyed. (Ice wine is an ultra-rich, super sweet dessert wine made from the intense liquid of naturally frozen grapes.)

This man was the most interesting cruisemate I have met to date.

buttons16 June 20th, 2012 05:17 PM

My wife and I thought we made a mistake by once getting a table for 4 on a cruise back in 1994....

The first night in the MDR we were seated when it opened(Early dinning). The waiter stated I will wait a few more minutes for the other couple...we both thought that we made a huge mistake....

A few minutes later 2 men walked in and we both stated here they come. They introduced themselfs their names were Gordon and Elliot both from Canada...

My wife and I are big dog lovers (we have 2 mini Snauzers)and it turned out that were both about to enter their dogs into the Westminster dog show which takes place at Madison Square Garden, (NYC).

I want to say they were the greatest two people we ever met on a cruise ship, we so enjoyed their company that we still keep in touch after all these years...

I also met Jackie Mason on a cruise...But Gordon and Elliot are our all time favorites...Boy did we have good times and laughter with them.

Mike M June 20th, 2012 05:45 PM

I would say in the category of interesting that Eddie Mahe was the most interesting. He was the former head of the RNC and a Republican political insider and had some great stories and insights into politics, the upcoming 2008 election and overall conversation.

This was on our Ryndam Asia cruise and each night was a great conversation. His wife and Betty really hit it off and one night I was seated with her I had a very interesting conversation about President Reagan and First Lady, Nancy.

It was enjoyable to go to dinner each evening. We were also seated with two couples from Australia who also fell in love with Betty, especially after she took them on a shopping trip Dailan, China. It was the first time they had ever done a "non-cruise" excursion.

Take care,
Mike

PeterC June 20th, 2012 06:40 PM

Back in the early 90's we went on a Mexican Riviera cruise and it just so happened that there was a Cincinnati Reds fan cruise going on that same week. Now I wasn't a Reds fan (quite the opposite) but we had a great time mingling and talking to the players, announcers, and fans that had shown up. It was a lot of fun.

Lakers Fan June 20th, 2012 06:49 PM

The most interesting person we met on a cruise was a college professor at Penn State .He grew up in poverty in the south in the 40's and 50's .He was the first member of his family to complete high school .

MercedMike June 21st, 2012 11:48 AM

My most interesting person

Actually the most interesting person I have ever cruised with was my dear Aunt Ruth. In her 90's she took us on several cruises, always renting full suites right across from the lounge. Even at that age she took a lively interest in everything from visiting a museum in Alaska, meeting Anne of Green Gables on Prince Edward Island to being kissed by a sea lion in the Caribbean! It was delightful to cruise with someone who had such a positive outlook on life. She passed away at the age of 95 last year and is sorely missed.

http://www.bully4.us/zakox.jpg

http://users.elite.net/thehalls/anne.jpg

http://www.bully4.us/sealion.jpg

Kuki June 21st, 2012 12:40 PM

I've been incredibly fortunate to meet many very interesting people during the course of my "cruise career".

I met the Prince and Princess of Thailand, and spent several evenings chatting and enjoying their company while sitting at a blackjack table. I've had the opportunity to dine with several well known successful playrights. I've spent quite a bit of time with a Dr. who was Britain's first successful heart/lung transplant recepient, and who as a result dedicated herself to research, and who invented and developed a number of devices and techniques which make up many of the basics of today's heart surgery procedures. I've chatted with journalist Bob Woodward about the Watergate case, and "Deep Throat". I spent alot of time, and became very friendly with a British fellow, who it turned out, had been knighted by the Queen of England, and was chairman of the British ports.

But perhaps the most interesting was former professional golfer, and long time golf commentator for CBS sports; Ken Venturi.

I likely found him to be the most interesting because our cabins were right next to each other on a 14 day cruise. We spent many hours of each day together talking, dining together, etc.

He's over 80, with an incredible memory still in tact; remembering every stroke he took; every tournament he played in or broadcast, and the hours I spent listening to his stories seemed like minutes.

Over the term of his life and career he overcame all sorts of strange adversities in life and career. And he told the stories about them with humility and class.

I wrote a story about him and our time together... a fascinating guy, who led a fascinating life....

Cruisemates Blog » Ken Venturi Speaks on Golf – Kuki

Dave Beers June 23rd, 2012 05:34 PM

Our first cruise in 1993 was with Richard Petty. He is of course one of the most famous men in the history of auto racing, but he is also someone not caught up in his fame and hasn't forgotten his roots. I got to talk with him every day and not just about racing. He was so approachable and down-to-earth, yet a wise and engaged man who had definite opinions on things.

It says a lot about the character of a person who has all the money and fame in the world when they stop you on a street in Nassau and kid you about not getting your hair braided. Richard did this with me and I'll never forget it.

Waiting4acruise July 5th, 2012 09:31 PM

The most insteresting person I ever cruised with has to be my wife.
If I don't say that I will be sleeping on the couch.LOL