Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 25th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Captain

Default Canadian currency is/will be plastic

Read it in National Geographic Canadian currency 50 and 100 dollar denominations are already being printed on plastic and other denominations will be printed on plastic in the future. Plastic lasts two and half times longer than paper. When the bill wears out what is going to be done with it was not explained. I guess they'll shred it and use it to make more currency. That way they do not pollute the atmosphere. Australia is already producing and circulating plastic money. Canada is following in Australia's tracks. Will the USA follow?
Sponsored Links
Old June 25th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Admiral

It's already in circulation, it's wild looking

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old June 25th, 2012, 07:43 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

We need a picture!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 25th, 2012, 08:02 PM
Admiral

I spent it . Let me see if I can find it online

Here you go....

Bank Notes - Bank of Canada

Hawaii By land x 2
Old June 25th, 2012, 08:28 PM
Admiral

Thats really cool .
Old June 26th, 2012, 09:15 AM
First Mate

Hi,
This is not plastic its POLYMER go in Google under polymer bank of Canada where you have picture.Have a nice day everyone.

MTL
Old June 26th, 2012, 01:44 PM
Admiral

The US bills have a number of anti-forgery safety features. I'm thinking a polymer based bill might afford the chance for even more. It will be interesting.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Old June 26th, 2012, 05:52 PM
Captain

Default A problem with polymer based US currency might be volume

Anti-counterfeit devices maybe a problem for converting to polymer-based
currency but a another problem could be the tremendous number of bills that have to be printed.
Old June 27th, 2012, 05:56 AM
Captain

Default Thank you for lead to polymer banknote information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackypup View Post
I spent it . Let me see if I can find it online

Here you go....

Bank Notes - Bank of Canada
I appreciate your lead to the Banknotes information site. I was interested to see how they have approached the sense of touch in the construction of the bills.

I have to say lNational Geographic article started with plastic headline and in body copy went to polymer. I thought polymer was a form of plastic, but I was apparently wrong.

Good job. Thanks again.
Old June 27th, 2012, 10:33 AM
Familiar Face

I understand that the new Canadian Currency has an embossed value code imprinted on it, but does not have Braille code with currency value information to help the visually impaired. If they can emboss certain information of the new currency and yet they do not incorporate Braille code with currency value information, the Canadian government is setting Canadian citizens up for a big lawsuit by any good attorney representing a group like the Council for Canadians with Disabilities. The claims could be as simple visually impaired people saying they were shortchanged because they could not determine the value of the currency they used.

I understand that visually impaired people use several techniques for organizing money once they receive it. One common method is to fold each denomination in a different way. For example, ones might not be folded at all, while fives are folded in half widthwise, tens folded once in half lengthwise, twenties folded twice, etc. There are also wallets with separate compartments for each type of bill and devices for marking currency with raised dots. While these systems help blind people to handle money more easily, the fact that there is no way to tell the bills apart when receiving change means that no matter how organized they are, blind people still have to rely on a sighted person or a machine to identify each bill for them before they can file it away using the system of their choice

Currently, I understand there is nothing done to American bills that help blind, or visually impaired people. If the US government decides to produce polymer based money I hope they take this possible problem into consideration.
Old June 27th, 2012, 11:24 AM
Admiral

"Bank note readers are available free of charge through the Canadian National Institute for the Blind (CNIB).
An upgrade to the bank note reader following the introduction of new high-denomination Canadian bank notes is currently available through your local CNIB office. This upgrade requires only a few minutes to complete and will not affect the current functionality of your bank note reader. Please contact your local CNIB office to arrange an appointment. "

Hawaii By land x 2
Old June 28th, 2012, 05:06 AM
Familiar Face

Default Creasing new polymer bills maybe problem.

Tips for Handling Polymer Notes
Polymer notes feel different from paper notes and are still new to Canada, but they can be handled just as easily as paper notes. Here are some helpful tips:

•Tap or shuffle new polymer notes to separate them before counting them by hand or machine.
•Creasing, crumpling and stapling notes could damage them. Flatten notes by applying pressure to them or cupping them.

Of course US has about a billlion dollars in new hundreds being held back from circulation because of creasing problem concern.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 12:02 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconic View Post
Tips for Handling Polymer Notes
Polymer notes feel different from paper notes and are still new to Canada, but they can be handled just as easily as paper notes. Here are some helpful tips:

•Tap or shuffle new polymer notes to separate them before counting them by hand or machine.
•Creasing, crumpling and stapling notes could damage them. Flatten notes by applying pressure to them or cupping them.

Of course US has about a billlion dollars in new hundreds being held back from circulation because of creasing problem concern.
It seems they have solved the identification of currency for the blind with the machine they are distributing. But it seems that if the blind person uses the techniques described to identify the individual denomination which is to fold each denomination in a different way. Folding the money may cause problems with readability of the money. But more important is that while these systems help blind people to handle money more easily, the fact is that there is no way to tell the bills apart when receiving change.
This means that no matter how organized they are, blind people still have to rely on a sighted person or a machine to identify each bill for them before they can file it away using the system of their choice.
Old July 4th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Captain

Most organic polymers are plastics so it is fine to call the bank notes "plastic." Polymer just sounds fancier. It is like buying one of those "resin" outdoor chairs. They are plastic too but resin sounds better.