CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   clocks & hair dryers??? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/390185-clocks-hair-dryers.html)

cath June 27th, 2012 09:31 AM

clocks & hair dryers???

Hi everyone. I've been trying to search some of the old messages but i get conflicting reports.... hope someone can help?? We are sailing on Fascination in August. Does the ship have room clocks or hair dryers?

Trip June 27th, 2012 10:02 AM

My advice has always been to bring along a travel dryer, with your preferred wattage...takes up no room,and youy know it will work, Sometimes the dryer is not working, or, just terrible...no clocks

Fieldmouse June 30th, 2012 12:17 PM

If possible bring your own hairdryer. The ones on the ships never have enough wattage! You can buy a small travel hairdryer if you want...that will still have MORE wattage than the ones on the ship. As for alarm clocks...we pack our own small travel alarm.

Bruce Chafkin1 June 30th, 2012 12:27 PM

There are good reasons why cruise lines have low-wattage hairdryers and no alarm clocks in staterooms.

High wattage electrical devices are fire hazards. They can overheat and start fires.
High wattage electrical devices easily exceed the capacity of the step-down transformers that supply 120 volt power to your stateroom. If too many high wattage devices are used in certain areas of the ship, the transformers can fail, causing a blackout, or overheat and possibly cause a fire.

Cruise lines tried for years to place alarm clocks in staterooms.
They were always stolen by the passengers.
We gave up.
Use the wake up call system, or bring your own.
Note that some older ships still operate on 50 cycle current. A 120 volt alarm clock running on 50 cycle current will lose 10 minutes every hour.

Waiting4acruise June 30th, 2012 04:55 PM

Thre are no clocks in the staterooms.

Donna June 30th, 2012 06:48 PM

Unless, you are cruising on Oasis or Allure of the seas, there were alarm clocks along with Ipad docking stations....

johnthed0g June 30th, 2012 07:09 PM

Never seen a clock in a cabin.

sllabon June 30th, 2012 07:23 PM

The only clocks we've ever seen were in the suites on HAL. I always bring my own regular hair dryer. No matter what cruise line, if you have long or thick hair, it will take you for EVER to dry your hair.

Fieldmouse July 1st, 2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sllabon (Post 1435243)
The only clocks we've ever seen were in the suites on HAL. I always bring my own regular hair dryer. No matter what cruise line, if you have long or thick hair, it will take you for EVER to dry your hair.

Gosh...we've had alarm clocks provided in all our cabins on every cruise we've taken...(o.k...so we've only sailed the big three, RCCL, Celebrity and HAL so far but that's going to change in Sept) We've used cruise line provided alarms successfully, PLUS our own just to be sure. (cause we're compulsive hahaha)

sllabon July 1st, 2012 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fieldmouse (Post 1435507)
Gosh...we've had alarm clocks provided in all our cabins on every cruise we've taken...(o.k...so we've only sailed the big three, RCCL, Celebrity and HAL so far but that's going to change in Sept) We've used cruise line provided alarms successfully, PLUS our own just to be sure. (cause we're compulsive hahaha)

We were on the EOS in February in a junior suite and there was no alarm clock. We have only sailed in suites on HAL both on the Veendam and Noordam and they both had clocks. I don't remember any on NCL or Carnival. However, it's not something I look for on vacation LOLLOL