Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old July 7th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Banned
Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eastern Pennsylvania
Posts: 519
Default Thinking about

I am thinking about losing about 7 - 10 pounds prior to my cruise on Crystal in December. This way I don't have to worry about the weight gain on board...I would just be adding the pounds I had just lost which would put me at my current weight...

I would have to use NutriSystem...I don't think I can go under my current weight by myself.

Need to see my doctor before I do this I guess. Probaly would'nt start this if I were to continue with the idea sometime in Oct.

My wife is not too thrilled with the idea...She suggested I go on Nutrisystem after the cruise, this way I know excatly how much weight if any I need to lose.

My wife does'nt worry about weight...she's not a big eater anymore.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old July 7th, 2012, 03:10 PM
Marc's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 3,625
Default

I find that even with increased alcohol consumption, I am not likely to gain weight on a cruise. I eat lots of proteins, fruits, and vegetables and just the occasional bread or dessert. I try to hit the treadmill or the walking track daily. The big difference, though, is all the exercise i get on shore excursions.

Still, I like you, am looking to lose a few pounds before our cruise in November. I just try to do it the old fashioned way; burn more than I consume.

Marc
__________________
Marc

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old July 7th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,207
Default

Surely there's a better way than eating highly processed, high sodium food out of a box? Lean proteins, fruits, veg. Whole grains and exercise. Just watch your portion size.

Check out My Fitness Pal online. It's a great site for tracking.
__________________
Upcoming:

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old July 7th, 2012, 03:58 PM
Snoozeman's Avatar
Moderator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bosque County, Texas
Posts: 5,430
Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman
Default

I would do the later...loose later.
__________________
Ray McDonald / Snoozeman

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old July 7th, 2012, 09:24 PM
Banned
Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eastern Pennsylvania
Posts: 519
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackypup View Post
Surely there's a better way than eating highly processed, high sodium food out of a box? Lean proteins, fruits, veg. Whole grains and exercise. Just watch your portion size.

Check out My Fitness Pal online. It's a great site for tracking.
I agree there is probaly a better way...It just seems like I am always pressed for time, the hours I am keeping at my business is Hectic..

Nurtisystem allows fruit, Veg and protein like a hard boiled egg throughout the day, Its just so easy.

I admit the Nutrisystem portions are small, I bet the portions are probaly what we should be eating in the first place.

I do exercise, but I noticed when I lost alot of my weight it was easy in the begining, but as time went on and the pound were flying off me it was harder and harder to drop the weight. I lost over 40 lbs on my own...but the last few pounds were so difficult...I am thinking I will have the same problem.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old July 7th, 2012, 09:25 PM
Banned
Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eastern Pennsylvania
Posts: 519
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozeman View Post
I would do the later...loose later.
I am leaning towards that now that I am thinking about it.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old July 7th, 2012, 09:28 PM
Banned
Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eastern Pennsylvania
Posts: 519
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
I find that even with increased alcohol consumption, I am not likely to gain weight on a cruise. I eat lots of proteins, fruits, and vegetables and just the occasional bread or dessert. I try to hit the treadmill or the walking track daily. The big difference, though, is all the exercise i get on shore excursions.

Still, I like you, am looking to lose a few pounds before our cruise in November. I just try to do it the old fashioned way; burn more than I consume.

Marc
Protein, fruits and vegetables are a big part of nutrisystem. I just love how easy it is...just take out a box, heat it and eat it...
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old July 7th, 2012, 09:49 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 18,199
Default

My goal is to lose 14 pounds prior to my cruise in 8 days . I had lost 2 but went out to dinner tonight and probably gained the 2 back .
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old July 7th, 2012, 09:53 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,207
Default

I hate giving up food . We live on a river surrounded by trails. Our usual is a 5 mile hike couple of times a week. Then I don't have to give up pasta and wine

Buttons, would you be doing Nutra System 3 meals a day or just breakfast and lunch?
__________________
Upcoming:

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old July 7th, 2012, 10:04 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 18,199
Default Similiar here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackypup View Post
I hate giving up food . We live on a river surrounded by trails. Our usual is a 5 mile hike couple of times a week. Then I don't have to give up pasta and wine

Buttons, would you be doing Nutra System 3 meals a day or just breakfast and lunch?
I am surrounded by water on 3 sides and there is a lake between my house and my closest neighbors .There are no sidewalks . There are trails here as well and I generally do a 5 mile walk twice a day but not when its very hot as it is now.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old July 7th, 2012, 10:23 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,207
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
I am surrounded by water on 3 sides and there is a lake between my house and my closest neighbors .There are no sidewalks . There are trails here as well and I generally do a 5 mile walk twice a day but not when its very hot as it is now.
5 miles, twice a day? Wow. My butt is dragging if I do it 4 days in a row never mind twice in one day. We have the river in front, golf course behind and trails to the left and right. We can also hike around the golf course, but you need to be part mountain goat
__________________
Upcoming:

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old July 7th, 2012, 10:32 PM
Banned
Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eastern Pennsylvania
Posts: 519
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackypup View Post
I hate giving up food . We live on a river surrounded by trails. Our usual is a 5 mile hike couple of times a week. Then I don't have to give up pasta and wine

Buttons, would you be doing Nutra System 3 meals a day or just breakfast and lunch?
I already priced it...

They quoted me a price along with a discount...When I kind of balked the operator told me she will give me a added discount. She asked me what my Insurance was, after a slight pause from me she stated don't worry about it I will input a insurance code for you through Aetna...I told her I don't have Aenta, she stated no problem hold on...
The added discount through the insurance code gave me another $25 off. I asked her how long before I can act on it...she told me 4months. The total price would be $193.08 for the entire month.

For being over 50 they have three different plans
I believe silver basic, silver core and silver select. With the basic, you eat what they send you...with the silver core package, you pick out the 28 breakfasts, Choosing any amount of any item from breakfast they offer and so on through dinner.

The meal plan I am looking at includes this:
28 days of breakfast
28 days of lunch
28 days of dinner
28 days of dessert
28 days of snack
I must supply my own vegetable and fruit...no problem there.

The sodium levels are balanced... the amount of sodium you take in would actually be no greater then the daily allowance. Where you lose the weight is from a very low total fat content and very low carb content and of course the small portions.
I mean if I went shopping I would spend close to that for myself for the month, so its really not too much of a gamble.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old July 7th, 2012, 10:37 PM
Banned
Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eastern Pennsylvania
Posts: 519
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
I am surrounded by water on 3 sides and there is a lake between my house and my closest neighbors .There are no sidewalks . There are trails here as well and I generally do a 5 mile walk twice a day but not when its very hot as it is now.
5 miles twice a day holy you know what.

I actually live on top of a mountain and doing 5 miles a day means I would have to walk down the mountain. Considering there is only one road and it leads down the mountain, also means that no way would I be able to walk back up that mountain...I live near a forest and trust me on this...you dont want to walk in the forest..I have seen Bear with babies, Bobcats, Coyotes and snakes...that would not be a walk, it would be more of a "man vs the wild" show.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old July 7th, 2012, 10:42 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,207
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons16 View Post
I already priced it...

They quoted me a price along with a discount...When I kind of balked the operator told me she will give me a added discount. She asked me what my Insurance was, after a slight pause from me she stated don't worry about it I will input a insurance code for you through Aetna...I told her I don't have Aenta, she stated no problem hold on...
The added discount through the insurance code gave me another $25 off. I asked her how long before I can act on it...she told me 4months. The total price would be $193.08 for the entire month.

For being over 50 they have three different plans
I believe silver basic, silver core and silver select. With the basic, you eat what they send you...with the silver core package, you pick out the 28 breakfasts, Choosing any amount of any item from breakfast they offer and so on through dinner.

The meal plan I am looking at includes this:
28 days of breakfast
28 days of lunch
28 days of dinner
28 days of dessert
28 days of snack
I must supply my own vegetable and fruit...no problem there.

The sodium levels are balanced... the amount of sodium you take in would actually be no greater then the daily allowance. Where you lose the weight is from a very low total fat content and very low carb content and of course the small portions.
I mean if I went shopping I would spend close to that for myself for the month, so its really not too much of a gamble.
Good luck. I couldn't do it. Food is my joy and Farmer's markets my happy place. Cost doesn't seem that bad though for a Months worth of food. Let us know how you go.
__________________
Upcoming:

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old July 8th, 2012, 12:42 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 18,199
Default Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons16 View Post
5 miles twice a day holy you know what.

I actually live on top of a mountain and doing 5 miles a day means I would have to walk down the mountain. Considering there is only one road and it leads down the mountain, also means that no way would I be able to walk back up that mountain...I live near a forest and trust me on this...you dont want to walk in the forest..I have seen Bear with babies, Bobcats, Coyotes and snakes...that would not be a walk, it would be more of a "man vs the wild" show.
No forests here but I have a friend who lives in Putnam County ,NY .He lives on top of a mountain .At the base of the mountain is a lake and behind his house is a forest .I've tried walking down the mountain but it tends to be a tad scary .
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old July 8th, 2012, 04:17 AM
KDGodwin's Avatar
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Surprise, AZ
Posts: 268
Default

I find it very odd that the same person who complains about the food quality on the "mass market" ships would eat gross food from a box for a month!?

Just an observation...
__________________
*Krista*



Golden Princess 9/8/2012
Carnival Elation 11/02/2009
Carnival Pride 04/24/2006
Carnival Pride 05/23/2004
Carnival Elation (I think) 1999
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old July 8th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Banned
Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eastern Pennsylvania
Posts: 519
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackypup View Post
Good luck. I couldn't do it. Food is my joy and Farmer's markets my happy place. Cost doesn't seem that bad though for a Months worth of food. Let us know how you go.
I love food also, that is a big joy in my life as well...which is the reason why I am doing this...so I can enjoy everything on board...

Thanks for the support.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old July 8th, 2012, 09:48 AM
Banned
Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eastern Pennsylvania
Posts: 519
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDGodwin View Post
I find it very odd that the same person who complains about the food quality on the "mass market" ships would eat gross food from a box for a month!?

Just an observation...
OK ... I am doing it so I can enjoy everything on board.

I just want to lose 7 - 10 lbs....I lost over 40 lbs on my own but found the last few to be very difficult eating my own food even though I exercise.

Now that I am down to my ideal weight, I want to lose some more for the reason I stated above..So I can enjoy the full experience on the ship.

By the way, Have you tried the food lately...a friend of mine let me taste some of them...I think you are very mistaken when you say gross food, it is in fact tasty, not gourmet but tasty.



But thanks for the support anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old July 8th, 2012, 09:52 AM
Banned
Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eastern Pennsylvania
Posts: 519
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
No forests here but I have a friend who lives in Putnam County ,NY .He lives on top of a mountain .At the base of the mountain is a lake and behind his house is a forest .I've tried walking down the mountain but it tends to be a tad scary .
Try walking up the mountain, it can be a tad EXAUSTING
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old July 8th, 2012, 10:14 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 18,199
Default

There is a hill about 1/4 mile from where I live . I used to walk up and down that for exercise but not lately .
Reply With Quote
  #21 (permalink)  
Old July 8th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,207
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons16 View Post
I love food also, that is a big joy in my life as well...which is the reason why I am doing this...so I can enjoy everything on board...

Thanks for the support.
If it were me, and you can take this with a grain of salt. I would not do nutri system. You may be comfortable with the sodium levels, but I wouldn't be. They have to inject that crap with something to make it edible It's processed within an inch of it's life. I know it's hard to lose the last few pounds. Doing what you did before doesn't work, you need to adjust. If I wasn't comfortable doing it myself, I would take that $200 and see a dietician. You really only have 1 pound a month to lose before you go on vacation, that's around 100 calories a day, you should be able to up your exercise or cut something out to cover that. You don't have to lose it all in one month.
__________________
Upcoming:

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old July 8th, 2012, 11:56 AM
Banned
Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eastern Pennsylvania
Posts: 519
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackypup View Post
If it were me, and you can take this with a grain of salt. I would not do nutri system. You may be comfortable with the sodium levels, but I wouldn't be. They have to inject that crap with something to make it edible It's processed within an inch of it's life. I know it's hard to lose the last few pounds. Doing what you did before doesn't work, you need to adjust. If I wasn't comfortable doing it myself, I would take that $200 and see a dietician. You really only have 1 pound a month to lose before you go on vacation, that's around 100 calories a day, you should be able to up your exercise or cut something out to cover that. You don't have to lose it all in one month.
Its just that if I try to do it on my own, the temptation to cheat will be great...When I lost all that weight, it was a huge battle for me. I know if I try to lose this on my own and seeing that I need to get below the weight I am comfortable at, just cheating slightly will be a failure for me. I can't let any temptation get to me...With Nutrisystem I know that all I am suppose to eat is provided for me, nothing else except for some vegetables and fruit.

As far as salt goes. I looked at the average amount of salt I would be intaking per day (on average) its about 1300mg a day.
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old July 8th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,207
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons16 View Post
Its just that if I try to do it on my own, the temptation to cheat will be great...When I lost all that weight, it was a huge battle for me. I know if I try to lose this on my own and seeing that I need to get below the weight I am comfortable at, just cheating slightly will be a failure for me. I can't let any temptation get to me...With Nutrisystem I know that all I am suppose to eat is provided for me, nothing else except for some vegetables and fruit.

As far as salt goes. I looked at the average amount of salt I would be intaking per day (on average) its about 1300mg a day.
That's not a bad sodium level. I definitely take in closer to 2000 mg a day.

You have to do with you think you can stick with. Some people really like the regimented diet and some can lose without it.

An average day for me is:

Breakfast: English Muffin, slice of Canadian Back bacon, kraft cheese slice

Snack: orange

Lunch: Some small protein, wrap, soup or a sandwich and salad with a greek yogurt

Snack: Apple

Dinner: Same as what I would prepare for my husband but usually lower on the starchy white stuff and higher on the veg and salad. Especially this time of year, I could live off Peach and tomato salad, caprese salad, watermelon and feta. We eat a lot of chicken and a lot of fish. We usually split a steak when we cook one so we're getting about 4oz each.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. And on that note, I'm going out for brunch for a Caesar and Eggs Benedict
__________________
Upcoming:

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What were they thinking??? Trip Chit - Chat for Cruisers 6 May 27th, 2010 09:32 PM
What were they thinking? maytrip Holland America 2 February 5th, 2008 07:48 AM
thinking of going on RC kn Royal Caribbean International 6 February 3rd, 2005 04:00 PM
Hi all..... I was thinking about doing something...... ssatterly Ask CruiseMates Staff 6 July 10th, 2004 04:30 PM
I Was Just Thinking...... BUDDY Chit - Chat for Cruisers 3 January 9th, 2004 08:23 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:25 PM.
design by: Themes by Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1