CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   Calling From The Sea Creates Hefty Fees (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/390631-calling-sea-creates-hefty-fees.html)

Kuki July 18th, 2012 11:18 AM

Calling From The Sea Creates Hefty Fees

Thinking how nice it is to now be able to use your cell phones to call home during your cruise; read this!

Cruisemates Blog Calling From The Sea Creates Hefty Fees – Kuki

MercedMike July 18th, 2012 11:51 AM

Cell cost information

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuki (Post 1438993)
Thinking how nice it is to now be able to use your cell phones to call home during your cruise; read this!

Cruisemates Blog Calling From The Sea Creates Hefty Fees Kuki

Pricing information is almost impossible to find. Here is what Princess says on its website, and AIRC the information provided at sea was similar:

Pricing
Neither MCP nor Princess set retail pricing. Retail pricing is set by your cellular provider, and while we would like to be able to provide guidance, it is impossible for MCP or Princess to comment on independent rate plans. When in doubt please contact your cellular provider.

or in other words: We're not going to tell you what it costs!

I know when we used our cell phone at international roaming rates ashore to check with a guide, the rate was $6 a minute! Presumably at sea it would have been the same.

Our solution is NOT to use cell phones at sea! :D

aerospace July 18th, 2012 11:54 PM

Quote:

When using the cruise ship network, the International Roaming voice rate is $2.49 per minute. Data usage is billed at the standard pay-per-use rate (approximately $20 per MB).
From Att.com though I would assume they may use your minutes from your plan in addition and possibly add connection charges as well.

Kuki July 19th, 2012 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerospace (Post 1439102)
From Att.com though I would assume they may use your minutes from your plan in addition and possibly add connection charges as well.

No, not at all likely. They are paying for the ship's satellite service. They are effectively partners with the company that supplies the ship's satellite service, who are in turn partners with the cruise lines.

They are all going to want a share of the income from your phone calls. No plans are going to cover calls from a ship at sea.

aerospace July 19th, 2012 01:38 AM

If you reread it, I said in addition ;)

They will deduct the minutes from your account, charge you a connection fee, and 2.49/min.

green_rd July 19th, 2012 04:45 PM

I haven't seen any cell phone towers out in the ocean. The ship's repeater converts your cell phone into a sat phone.

Manuel July 19th, 2012 06:21 PM

When I cruise, I call my son everyday. I keep the calls short and turn off my phone after each call.
Our bill has allways been reasonable.

TM

Mike M July 20th, 2012 08:07 AM

Right now I am in Lezno, Poland. For this trip and previous trips I purchased an International Data Plan from Verizon. The cost is $25/100 MB. I have gone through 100MB and have used 26 MB of the second 100 MB increment.

By the time I get home I am guessing that my data cost, from Verizon, for my phone will be around $75 for eight weeks. If I did not sign up for this plan my cost would be over $1,000. I check my usage and charges every few days.

If you have International Calling your "Anytime Minutes" or monthly allowance IS NOT DEDUCTED. You are charged .99/minute to $2.99/minute, depending on country, for voice calls. You are also charged, on Verizon, .50 for outgoing texts and .05 for incoming.

I am expecting a total bill of around $400 for eight weeks in Europe. This includes my normal allocation for three phones, 2000 minutes, unlimited domestic texts and domestic data. The International charge will be about $250 of the $400. The voice calls are what cost the most.

This is for Verizon only. Other providers may, and probably will, have different rates and plans.

On the ship you are charged $2.49/minute, for voice calls, no matter what plan you have but data was covered under the International Data Plan while on the ship.

Take care,
Mike

Kuki July 20th, 2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike M (Post 1439245)
Right now I am in Lezno, Poland. For this trip and previous trips I purchased an International Data Plan from Verizon. The cost is $25/100 MB. I have gone through 100MB and have used 26 MB of the second 100 MB increment.

By the time I get home I am guessing that my data cost, from Verizon, for my phone will be around $75 for eight weeks. If I did not sign up for this plan my cost would be over $1,000. I check my usage and charges every few days.

If you have International Calling your "Anytime Minutes" or monthly allowance IS NOT DEDUCTED. You are charged .99/minute to $2.99/minute, depending on country, for voice calls. You are also charged, on Verizon, .50 for outgoing texts and .05 for incoming.

I am expecting a total bill of around $400 for eight weeks in Europe. This includes my normal allocation for three phones, 2000 minutes, unlimited domestic texts and domestic data. The International charge will be about $250 of the $400. The voice calls are what cost the most.

This is for Verizon only. Other providers may, and probably will, have different rates and plans.

On the ship you are charged $2.49/minute, for voice calls, no matter what plan you have but data was covered under the International Data Plan while on the ship.

Take care,
Mike

So that's why you havent been calling me :) :)

KellyKayden July 21st, 2012 08:31 PM

In a moment of stupidity on my cruise, i decided to try and find out what happened on the season finale of one of my favorite shows. 5 minutes of searching turned into a very hefty bill...i could have put a nice downpayment on my next cruise, or depending on the ship, could have just paid for a whole one!

Plus...didn't even find what i was looking for until i got home anyway!

zydecocruiser August 2nd, 2012 11:51 PM

Carnival only charges $1.99/minute for using the phone in your stateroom.

Ets80 August 8th, 2012 12:00 AM

We were unable to use cell phone during our cruise. Our phone service offered a plan but I do not remember seeing anything from the cruise line