Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 23rd, 2012, 02:22 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default An Extreme Cruise Experience

An Extreme Cruise Experience
by Paul Motter

This nuclear-powered "cruise ship" can literally take you to the top of the world

Near the North Pole some 50 people went to the "top of the world" in a hot air balloon during an ice-breaking cruise

There are cruises and then there are expedition cruises. These days, more and more people define a "cruise" as a vacation in a leisurely tropical setting, sitting poolside with a drink in hand. There is nothing wrong with such cruises; just being at sea beyond the horizon is something of an extreme adventure - especially if you have never tried it before.

But what if you want more adventure - far more adventure? Let your imagination run wild and think of the place least likely in the world to reach by cruise ship? How about the North Pole? What if I told you it is not only possible to cruise in the Arctic Circle, but also to take a nuclear-powered ice breaker all the way to the actual North Pole? It is possible on the Russian-built "50 Years of Victory" still owned by the nation of Russia.
This "Soviet-era" ice breaker is actually nuclear

Sponsored Links
Old July 23rd, 2012, 09:47 PM
Captain

Can someone spot me 24grand to go? Lol

Right up my alley but I'd rather spend a year on a normal ship for that money.

BOOKED: Holland Oosterdam May 25; 7N ship, 4N Anchorage, 6N Denali, 5N Denver
11 cruises in 2012, 90 nights at sea visiting 15 countries
8 cruises in 2013, 56 nights at sea visiting 7 countries
Old July 23rd, 2012, 09:51 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

To tell the truth it is all about bragging rights. I went close (about 81-degrees north in Svalbard) amd we saw lots of ice, maybe a Polar bear, so small it looked like an ant - and spent two weeks looking at sea birds and jellyfish - no whales (well, one).

I would rather sail around Australia / NZ for the same price.
Old July 25th, 2012, 09:58 AM
Familiar Face

Send a message via Yahoo to Elliott
Default Nuclear Ship Savannah

The USA had the first nuclear passenger ship; NS Savannah back in the 1960s. Check out this link;

http://www.hnsa.org/savannah/index.php

NS Savannah was a signature element of President Eisenhower's Atoms for Peace program. She was constructed as a joint project of the former Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) and the Maritime Administration. She operated from 1962 to 1965 in experimental service, at which time the AEC issued her commercial operating license number NS-1. Savannah continued in demonstration service as a cargo and passenger ship until 1970 when she ended her active career. She was defueled in 1971 and her reactor made permanently inoperable in 1975-76. About 95% of the power plant is intact and remains onboard ship. Savannah is still licensed by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC is the successor to the AEC), and will remain so until nuclear decommissioning.

Last edited by Elliott; July 25th, 2012 at 10:15 AM. Reason: added more info