Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 25th, 2012, 08:56 AM
Familiar Face

Default What do you do if a relative is kidnapped on a cruise?

What would you do if a family member is kidnapped while cruising and you received a call or email demanding ransom?

Who do you contact? I would think you would probably contact local authorities and cruise ship to get confirmation about the crime. Would you then contact the FBI? Interpol? the U.S. diplomatic corps? a senator?

What else would you do?
Sponsored Links
Old July 25th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Captain

I would imagine the US Embassy?

BOOKED: Holland Oosterdam May 25; 7N ship, 4N Anchorage, 6N Denali, 5N Denver
11 cruises in 2012, 90 nights at sea visiting 15 countries
8 cruises in 2013, 56 nights at sea visiting 7 countries
Old July 25th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

In over a decade of covering the cruise industry, I've never heard of a case of someone being kidnapped on a cruise ship.

The logistics of removing someone from the ship undetected make it a very unlikely scenario.

It is much more possible someone would be kidnapped on land; possibly in a port of call.

In that case I'd imagine one would have to start with notifying local authorities, and in addition, one would probably be wise to notify the State Department or representatives of the government you are a citizen of.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old July 25th, 2012, 11:11 AM
Familiar Face

Oh, no. Not very encouraging seeing this post. Yikes! Coming from someone who's a newbee cruiser.
Old July 25th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I wouldn't worry, like Kuki said, it is highly unlikely that this would happen...

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 25th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Cruise Maniac

The answer to your question depends... Is the family member my mother in law?

Old July 25th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingcruise View Post
Oh, no. Not very encouraging seeing this post. Yikes! Coming from someone who's a newbee cruiser.
Never heard of a kidnapping, but anything, anywhere, is possible. Your own local news is a wake up call. Some Islands are less civil if you wander away from the port, best to stay with someone anyway.

If you've never been to Nassau, and go thru the building, you'll be bombarded with many people trying to get you to book thru them, just say no, or keep walking. Same for the straw market.
Old July 25th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks for the warning. I've been in that kind of scenario when I travelled by myself in Morocco from Spain. Locals drew to you like flies selling stuff. I will just be prepared then in Nassau.
Old July 26th, 2012, 05:46 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
In over a decade of covering the cruise industry, I've never heard of a case of someone being kidnapped on a cruise ship.

The logistics of removing someone from the ship undetected make it a very unlikely scenario.

It is much more possible someone would be kidnapped on land; possibly in a port of call.

In that case I'd imagine one would have to start with notifying local authorities, and in addition, one would probably be wise to notify the State Department or representatives of the government you are a citizen of.
The original inquiry was what if you receive a phone call or email demanding
ransom for a kidnapped person. The question was not if the person was on a ship or on an island. Anybody who kidnaps somebody on a ship is crazy. Although if you look at the statistics about people missing from cruise ships might lead to another question about ship security, but that is another matter. The experts might want to discuss this question.

How about this for a scenario. What do you do if you do get a ransom phone call or email and there is a time deadline which is short and the "kidnapped" person is known to be traveling in the area where the phone call or email originated? The payment is to be made in some remote Jamaican town. You have called the local authorities, They tell you you have a choice pay the ransom and they will track the money or donot pay the ransom. The person kidnapped is a much loved mother-in-law and your wife is going to make your life hell if you don't save her and the ransom is only a thousand dollars. What do you do?
Old July 26th, 2012, 08:56 AM
Cruise Maniac

Hmmm, it's my mother in law. My wife will make my life hell. Hmmm

I would have to refuse their offer. I want at least 2 thousand to take her back. I'll take my chances with my wife

Old July 29th, 2012, 11:52 AM
Captain

Whenever I am on a cruise and someone kidnaps a relative, I follow the same protocols I use when aliens abduct them.
Old July 30th, 2012, 02:24 AM
Captain

If it's a good looking lady doing the kidnapping, I would volunteer to be the kidnapee!

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Carnival Splendor Feb 15
Old July 30th, 2012, 04:43 AM
Administrator
Admiral

It depends on the relative. Mother-In-Law or some of my cousins then it's party time. Anyone else, call the FBI. They would have jurisdiction and the ability to work with foreign officials.

BTW: This probably has never happened on a cruise ship. As Bruce said: It would be about as common as alien abduction.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 2nd, 2012, 10:42 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiable View Post
What would you do if a family member is kidnapped while cruising and you received a call or email demanding ransom?

Who do you contact? I would think you would probably contact local authorities and cruise ship to get confirmation about the crime. Would you then contact the FBI? Interpol? the U.S. diplomatic corps? a senator?

What else would you do?
Is this a relative I like, a mother-in-law, or what ?
Old August 2nd, 2012, 10:42 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
It depends on the relative. Mother-In-Law or some of my cousins then it's party time. Anyone else, call the FBI. They would have jurisdiction and the ability to work with foreign officials.

BTW: This probably has never happened on a cruise ship. As Bruce said: It would be about as common as alien abduction.

Take care,
Mike
oh, I see this is a common thought.