CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   Most ridiculous Cruise Ship Law Suits (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/391366-most-ridiculous-cruise-ship-law-suits.html)

Paul Motter August 21st, 2012 03:26 PM

Most ridiculous Cruise Ship Law Suits

Talent show 'cougar' gibe triggers $1m suit against cruise ship

This woman does a Tina Turner rendition in a talent show. Now she is suing the cruise line for the comments made by the judging panel after her performance - asking for $1,000,000.

What kind of ambulance chasing lawyer would even take a case like this - seriously?

First she sings the song, and then the panel comments. She claims one of them (the cruise director) called her a "cougar" and said it was inappropriate to say he could see her knickers.

Well - what he said was "you may be dressed like a leopard but to me you appear like a ....... tiger."

But while he paused she shouted out "a cougar?" - She said the word first - all he did was agree with her by saying "Um, yes, a cougar."

Secondly, I have been a stage manager and I can tell you certain lights will definitely bring out undergarments - you get the "black light" effect when you use deep blue stage lights, and very often underwear and bras will shine right through a lady's clothes. But I could not see them on the video, so I assume the lighting person quickly corrected the effect as soon as he saw it.

Paul Motter August 21st, 2012 03:36 PM

And here is the likely motivation for her lawsuit...

Irish man who was butt of jokes on cruise ship wins payout | UK news | guardian.co.uk

Irish man who was butt of jokes on cruise ship wins payout

John Wolfe was so offended by the jokes on the P&O cruise, he brought a civil claim against the company, that has been settled out of court...

Same cruise line - do you get the feeling the cruise lines are going to regret the mass flocking to Australia that is currently underway?

Trip August 21st, 2012 03:39 PM

When you sit in the front row, or go up on stage, you better be ready for anything. She placed herself there,and tossed the cougar remark herself!

The blame is on her shoulders. I wish the camera had been on her when she said it......Always a lawyer around willing to take a chance. Wonder what Jim Walker would say about this.:)

Paul Motter August 21st, 2012 04:19 PM

Something tells me Jim Walker has already commented on it - probably in the woman's favor.

snorklr45 August 21st, 2012 05:03 PM

This is WHY I always sit wayyy in the back during comedy routines...*With* my camera ready *snicker* :cool:

Paul Motter August 21st, 2012 07:08 PM

That's right - if you are sitting up front you are asking for trouble.

But I have to say - these days comedians are the most "politically incorrect" people anywhere. You would have to end comedy as an artform if you made them conform to social norms.

Snoozeman August 21st, 2012 07:14 PM

It does seem that Australians are quick to the lawsuit. I wonder why?

Surfguyxxx1 August 21st, 2012 07:37 PM

good luck! NOT !!!

Dave Beers August 22nd, 2012 11:58 AM

So the comedian likely made some jokes about Irishmen and drinking and that passenger gets a cash award? What a travesty.

I was singled out by a comedian a few years ago on a Princess cruise. I was 'Buffet Bob' who obviously was not missing many meals. I laughed and even wrote a blog piece about it. The comedian read it and replied, thanking me for being a good sport. I guess I should have sued, claiming weight discrimination.

Trip August 27th, 2012 10:47 AM

Here is a link to a hairy chest contestant, who claimed he burned his feet on the lido deck..oy yoy yoy!!

Lawsuit Claims Hairy Man Contest On Cruise Led To Burned Feet For Florida Man - Miami - News - Riptide 2.0

KellyKayden August 27th, 2012 10:07 PM

wow....so the "sue happy" society even exists on the water...interesting

Marsdude August 28th, 2012 10:04 AM

That's it!

If my drink isn't mixed right on my next cruise -

I'm taking them to court! Enough of this pain and anguish!!!!!!!!!!! :p

Paul Motter August 28th, 2012 11:00 AM

Having been a stage manager I can tell you - without fail, no comedian ever does an original joke. Everyone of them I worked with did the same routines EVERY night. I know it looks fresh & spontaneous, but so does "Blue Man Group." but in fact the lines are always 90% scripted - it is just the target's reaction that is different every night.

We know John Heald doesn't really meet a Dick Johnson every cruise. But the jokes are the same.

Paul Motter August 31st, 2012 04:29 PM

Jim Walker actually wrote up this forum post in his cruise industry bashing blog calling it "an article by Paul Motter" (what a doofus - and you know what I really mean).

Then he defended the lawsuit citing P&Os historic disrespect of women (or something like that) based on a case that happened on the early 2000s (Diane Brimble)...

So yes, the "sue-happy" as well as the "balme-game happy" society also exists on the water - and on the streets of Miami, and in Twitter.

KellyKayden September 1st, 2012 10:24 AM

The one good thing on twitter is the ability to block! When i block someone on facebook, occasionally they can still see me and i can see them. There is something oddly satisfying about pressing that block button on twitter..lol