Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 14th, 2012, 03:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Sometimes thing change..time and $ can do that:)

The scenario: You are now at the point in your life, where you have the time and the funds to vacation where you want, and for how long you want. Would you...

1- Do lots of 7/10 day cruises per year?

2- Do some really long cruises, maybe twice a year?

3-Continue on in balconys /ov's? That's been fine before..

4- Go for the gusto, and, now go all suites all the time?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old October 14th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Admiral

Trip, I would imagine, we would stay with our preference for longer cruises but give up balconies or suites on occassion to maximize experience. Right now, time is the limiting factor so we stay pretty much with one or two cruiselines. I believe that once we retire, we will expand our choices so that we can cruise the itinerary we want and as often as we want and keep within budget.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old October 14th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Admiral

Hi Trip

Itinerary is the most important factor for me in selecting a cruise. I also don't like repeating ports.

Next year I will cruise back from South America and to make the airfare worthwhiile, I will spend 2 weeks in Brazil/Argentina before the cruise.

I do hope one day to cruise across the Pacific.

On long cruises, I think cabin is more important.

So for me, no suites - not worth the extra but not an inside either.

Annie
Old October 14th, 2012, 05:50 PM
Admiral

Because there are a limited number of 7-night cruises from U.S. ports and it obviously costs more to fly other places, personally I'd love doing the longer cruises to other places we haven't been before. And as much as we love our balcony and junior suites, we're happy to do an inside cabin just so we do what we want to do.

Pete
47 Cruises & Counting! Favorites: Paul Gauguin to Tahiti: Uniworld River Cruises in Europe; any of the Celebrity Solstice-class ships; Holland America for 12-nights in the Baltics & Russia; RCCL for 14-night Greek Isles, Turkey, & Croatia; Holland America for 14-day Alaska cruisetour; 10-night Canada/New England cruise; 21 days in Hawaii including a 7-night NCL cruise; Oceania for 25 days in Asia; & 3 months touring Europe by train. And many days spent in all-inclusive resorts!
Old October 14th, 2012, 06:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Remember now, in this scenario, you have all the time, and lots of money...does that change anything?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old October 14th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Remember now, in this scenario, you have all the time, and lots of money...does that change anything?
For me - no; still wouldn't repeat ports; even though I would have loads of dosh - can't see me splashing it on suites

I don't see the point of multiple 7 day cruises to the Caribbean - but that is just me.

Annie
Old October 14th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I wouldn't really change much, although doing a 10 day cruise would be wonderful and I would like to go in style and have a suite, or even a mini suite...We still try to divide cruising with other vacations, so that wouldn't change either.

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 14th, 2012, 10:34 PM
Admiral

In my case, it's easier than ever to go on a cruise. We can drive to several cruise ports and we can afford to cruise a few times a year. We are retired, so we have the time. However, I love this part of Florida and we have friends here, we attend many social functions, the beach is ten minutes away and we are surrounded by palm trees, so every day feels like a vacation.

We are sailing on the Oasis next year and the following year we may do a land vacation in Hawaii.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old October 14th, 2012, 10:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Trip, I have been retired >20 years and enough funds for us to cruise when we want.

Our changes over the years are:
1. - We book balcony cabins since balcony became the norm. Previous we would book an outside cabin.
2. - Since we have to fly we will not do 7 day any longer. We do a B2B Caribbean every winter. We do 1 or 2 TA every year, preferrably westbound and sometimes do it w/ a B2B (Med & TA). Will do others when a good deal wherever the itinerary.
3. Have slowly changed from land & cruise vacations to all cruise vacations. Want less hassle as we age. No. of vacations after retiring and now have not changed. Before retirement w/limited time maybe 2 vacations/ yr. (sea or land).
. . '