CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   Passport Cards (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/392530-passport-cards.html)

purpledevilduck October 17th, 2012 04:57 PM

Passport Cards

Has anyone ever used one of the US Passport Cards for getting on a cruise ship?

I am thinking of getting one, in addition the my passport book, as an easier form of ID for getting onto the ship and domestic flight. We are taking a western caribbean cruise. I understand they do not work for international air travel.

Mike M October 17th, 2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purpledevilduck (Post 1451350)
Has anyone ever used one of the US Passport Cards for getting on a cruise ship?

I am thinking of getting one, in addition the my passport book, as an easier form of ID for getting onto the ship and domestic flight. We are taking a western caribbean cruise. I understand they do not work for international air travel.

A passport card is only good for land crossings from US/Mexico, US/Canada and closed loop cruises. Your drivers license or State ID card is sufficient for domestic air travel. As you stated: You cannot use a passport card for air travel outside the US. This could be an issue if you had to fly home from a cruise. You need a valid "passport" to get home.

Unless you make a lot of land crossings to Mexico or Canada the passport card really isn't worth the extra expense.

Take care,
Mike

storybookcruises.com October 17th, 2012 06:27 PM

As Mike has stated, the Passport Card can be used for closed loop cruises. And yes, there are a bit more 'user friendly' for identification than a passport.

However, they cost $55 for the first one and $30 for renewal. If you've already paid for a Passport, to me this is redundant and an unnecessary cost.

Plus, as Mike also stated, if you happen to get stuck in a foreign port and have to fly home, you'll need a Passport as the Passport Card is not permitted for international air travel.

Besides, you really only pull your Passport out twice during your travel; once to check-in for your cruise and once when you are leaving your cruise. You don't need to carry it with you when you go into port, so you can just leave it in the safe in your stateroom. And you only need to show your driver's license for your domestic flight.

Note; I do suggest making a copy of the passport and putting that in your backpack that you wear into port. I would also suggest scanning a picture of it and emailing it to yourself. That way if you ever need the information, all you have to do is open your email account.

Basically, after traveling all over the world, carrying a passport is just not a big deal to us, so it's never been a hassle to take them on a cruise. So my advice is save your money and buy a couple more drinks on the ship.

But hey, if you want to spend the extra money just for the convenience of having a card, go for it. It does make it a bit easier.

Pete