CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   Things NOT to bring with you on a cruise! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/392596-things-not-bring-you-cruise.html)

Truck Cruiser October 20th, 2012 12:02 PM

Things NOT to bring with you on a cruise!

I was talking to a fellow cruiser last night and he told me that on their first cruise he had put a pair of fuzzy handcuffs in his suitcase. Once onboard he was called to the front desk and was told they had confiscated those handcuffs. He asked why and they said that handcuffs, even fuzzy ones, were not allowed on the cruise ship.

I was wondering if others had similar situations where they had items confiscated and told these items are not allowed on the ship??

Stennsan October 20th, 2012 03:03 PM

That could have been embarrassing.

There are things that we don't pack any more just because of space and lack of use, but we've never had anything confiscated.

Im curious what other items people have been told aren't allowed on board.

storybookcruises.com October 20th, 2012 05:06 PM

The only thing we've ever been called down and asked to give to security was a dive knife I had on my diving gear. Forgot it was there and would have left it home. They just took it from me and gave it back when I was leaving the ship on my dive and asked me to return it again, which I did. Then they gave it back at the end of the cruise.

But the only thing other than knives you really shouldn't take are irons and booze.

I really don't like cruise lines who go into your luggage and take the items - that's just not right. If they see something on the x-ray, then they should do like most cruise lines do and that's to ask you to come down and open the bag for them. That's the proper thing to do.

Pete

Manuel October 20th, 2012 11:32 PM

Leave your guns at home.

TM

green_rd October 21st, 2012 09:30 AM

Truck Cruiser - that store is hilarious, hope it didn't ruin anybody's cruise

Phil&Liz October 21st, 2012 03:09 PM

Leave the hibachi at home.

Truck Cruiser October 21st, 2012 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by green_rd (Post 1451905)
Truck Cruiser - that store is hilarious, hope it didn't ruin anybody's cruise

No it didn't....they still had a great time. I was just shocked to hear the story. The guy swears it is true.

Bruce Chafkin1 October 22nd, 2012 10:22 AM

Once a month on my ship we stop somebody with a loaded handgun in his suitcase or carryon bag.
The story is always the same. He claims that he carried it through one or two airports on the way to the ship, and feels it unfair that we are taking it away. The claim is always that he needs it for personal protection onboard the ship.

Every week, we confiscate charcoal BBQs, cans of charcoal lighter fluid, fishing poles, spear guns, electric heaters, hundreds of steam irons, kites, handcuffs, pepper spray, water pipes, candles, propane torches, swords, hundreds of knives, coffee makers, and blenders.

Why take away the coffee makers and blenders?
Their power draw will trip the breakers on the step-down transformers that convert the ship's standard 220 volt power to 110 for the North Americans.
This not only blacks out your cabin, but the cabins of many of your neighbors - sometimes for several hours.

Dave Beers October 22nd, 2012 06:53 PM

I used to joke about passengers bringing charcoal grills along so they could cook on their balconies. I guess they claim they wanted to use them on the beach?

Passenger approaches grill cook in the buffet restaurant...."hey buddy, how about just giving me a dozen of them frozen hamburger patties. And throw in a few hot dogs too."