CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   Port of Houston Announces New Cruises (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/393119-port-houston-announces-new-cruises.html)

Paul Motter November 16th, 2012 01:48 PM

Port of Houston Announces New Cruises

by Paul Motter

In one day two different cruise lines announce new cruises out of Houston's Bayport Cruise Terminal

http://www.cruisemates.com/images/CM...tonBayport.jpg
Bayport is less than half the distance from Downtown and Hobby Intl. Airport

We all we are living in a tough economy, but one state that has managed to avoid many of the economic hits that are giving other states like California a bloody nose is Texas. Over the last six years we have seen the number of cruises departing from California drop by 60%. Meanwhile in the same time period, cruises from Texas have grown by a greater number.

But up till now the more popular cruise port was Galveston - the shore side community on the barrier island just off the coast of the city of Houston. But as of yesterday the city of Houston has staked its claim on the cruise business and has persuaded at least two cruise lines to commit to the more centrally located Bayport Cruise Terminal located at the Port of Houston, actually in Pasadena, a suburb of Houston and closer to downtown Houston and Hobby International Airport than the port of Galveston.

Mike M November 16th, 2012 01:53 PM

I'm glad to see that they are finally getting some use out of the multi-million dollar facility.

It will also be easier for the "fly-in" folks than having the long commute to Galveston.

Take care,
Mike

Trackypup November 16th, 2012 02:06 PM

First sentence needs correcting

Trackypup November 16th, 2012 02:37 PM

What are those ports like? worth a visit? (We've been to Cozumel a few times) Houston is a pretty easy direct flight from Vancouver unlike Florida.

Marsdude November 16th, 2012 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Motter (Post 1455230)

by Paul Motter

In one day two different cruise lines announces new cruises out of Houston's Bayport Cruise Terminal

http://www.cruisemates.com/images/CM...tonBayport.jpg
Bayport is less than half the distance from Downtown and Hobby Intl. Airport

We all we are living in a tough economy, but one state that has managed to avoid many of the economic hits that are giving other states like California a bloody nose is Texas. Over the last six years we have seen the number of cruises departing from California drop by 60%. Meanwhile in the same time period, cruises from Texas have grown by a greater number.

But up till now the more popular cruise port was Galveston - the shore side community on the barrier island just off the coast of the city of Houston. But as of yesterday the city of Houston has staked its claim on the cruise business and has persuaded at least two cruise lines to commit to the more centrally located Bayport Cruise Terminal located at the Port of Houston, actually in Pasadena, a suburb of Houston and closer to downtown Houston and Hobby International Airport than the port of Galveston.

Paul, thanks for this information. However, isn't that statement about Texas and California a political one. Didn't you give me a warning for something similar and told me that type of thing belongs in the Open Debate area?

Just sayin'

Donna November 16th, 2012 04:03 PM

This is some good news, so far more cruises with NCL and Princess, could there be more cruiselines departing from Tx....I would certainly be up to cruising out of this port, something different.

Peddler November 16th, 2012 04:13 PM

In reality this is nothing new... NCL, Princess, Celebrity have sailed from Houston and Galveston as late as 2005 or 06. The only new line is Disney sailing from Galveston. I really feel it was the arrogance of Houston/Bayport that ran the cruise lines out to begin with. The old adage "Build it and they will come" hasn't really worked all that well as it has stood vacant since 2008.

JMHO.

Mike M November 16th, 2012 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marsdude (Post 1455248)
Paul, thanks for this information. However, isn't that statement about Texas and California a political one. Didn't you give me a warning for something similar and told me that type of thing belongs in the Open Debate area?

Just sayin'

Marsdude:

No. In regards to cruising it's a fact. The number of West Coast cruises has dropped significantly while the numbers in Texas continue to rise.

San Diego has probably 1/4 the number of cruises leaving there and Los Angeles has only three or four ships running seven day cruises and these are not year round.

Take care,
Mike