CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   How thin are the walls? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/393352-how-thin-walls.html)

banshee72 November 30th, 2012 03:55 PM

How thin are the walls?

We've been on one other cruise ab out 6 years ago. We stayed at the Renaissance Hotel in ft. Lauderdale the night before. We arrived at the hotel in the middle of the day and were welcomed by the sound of some very loud sex in the room below us. I'm fairly certain they had their balcony door open as if we walked onto ours in seemed as if we were in the same room. That night,,,same thing...but the room next to us.

We are young, not prudes, and didnt have kids with us so it really wasnt a big deal....

....but now I'm thinking...how thin are the walls on the ships? I dont remember hearing anything through the walls but I really have to wonder what they heard from our cabin. We never got any complaints so I guess all is well, but maybe I'll be a little more concious of it this time around

Donna November 30th, 2012 04:08 PM

I think the walls are Ok, for just normal talking, etc...Now, when it gets louder, especially with kids and loud music, that is a different story. I only had one bad expierence when on a cruise with a bunch of woman cruising, partying...It was both loud when they were in the cabin and on the balcony....OY...

Trip November 30th, 2012 07:00 PM

In normal tones you "usually" don't hear conversations, but you may hear murmerings, depending on other noise in the cabin, ie, kids& tv.

Years back we heard someone, next door, singing a song, & really getting into it.. now I forget what it was, but at dinner I mentioned we were serenaded, and named the song, only to find out by our tablemate was the culprit! We all got a good laugh about it.

For the most part, you won't find an issue. Have a ball!!

Truck Cruiser November 30th, 2012 11:26 PM

Our last cruise on the Norwegian Pearl I got up to go to the bathroom and while there could hear the folks in the next room doing the rumpy pumpy, all I can say is she must of been enjoying it :p

Kuki December 1st, 2012 12:44 AM

I'll say.. it depends on the ship. I've been on several where I could hear the people in the next cabin simply talking.

It's particularly true if you happen to get a cabin with a door to what could be used as adjoining cabins. The door is much less sound proof than a wall.

green_rd December 1st, 2012 08:51 AM

I have heard more noise from the hall than in neighboring cabins, or step type noises above. Of course on the balcony noise flows easily.

Mike M December 1st, 2012 10:12 AM

I've never had any real problem with noise. Then again, my neck often gets sore from leaning down and listening to the glass against the wall. ;):D

The biggest problem I've had with neighbors are leaving lights on, on the balcony. The worst was a couple who strung strobe "Christmas Lights" on the balcony. Those drove me nuts even with the curtains drawn. It took just a small conversation for them to turn them off before they went to bed.

Take care,
Mike

zdgp December 1st, 2012 10:25 AM

We usually get a room with a balcony. The worst noise problem we ever had was the time we were below the lido pool deck, and listened to the chairs and tables being rearranged. What is worse than noise is being next to somebody who smokes cigars on his balcony.

Lakers Fan December 1st, 2012 02:06 PM

We've never had a problem with noise.

OldFartCruiser December 1st, 2012 07:42 PM

As far as noise from neighbors, hall, balcony, deck above, anchor, etc. all that will be less annoying as you young-ins age. I always have a quiet cabin no matter where it is located on the ship. During the day if I was to have a problem, I can turn the volume down and at bedtime I remove my hearing aids.

What did you say :),
O F C'er

PeterC December 3rd, 2012 12:29 PM

We've never heard any amorous adventures from adjoining cabins however once when my Mother-in-law was on a cruise with us and in the cabin next to ours, as we were getting reading for dinner my wife asked me if I thought she should wear her black blouse or her white blouse. The phone immediately rang and it was my mother in law "Wear the white blouse honey.".
We all got a big kick out of that.
I always bring ear plugs with me when I travel for plane trips and motel / cabin rooms. Just to be safe.