CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   Verizon International Data Package (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/393889-verizon-international-data-package.html)

Mike M December 30th, 2012 03:22 PM

Verizon International Data Package

If you are a Verizon customer I strongly urge anyone who will be using their phone to add the International Data Package to their plan. It will cost you $29 for the setup but you will only be charged $25/ 100 Megabytes used while you are in roaming mode. It is allocated in 100 MB increments so if you use 130 MB you will be charged $50.

Cruise ships are included in this plan.

It will allow you to use your phone as a Mobile Hotspot, send and receive email, upload pictures to Facebook or other websites, use Navigation and browse the Internet, and send or receive SMS text pictures. Texting will still be .50 cents for each sent text and .05 for each text received.

I have done this on my last three cruises in the Caribbean, Europe and Asia and it has been great and the most data I have used is just over 300 MB.

There are many horror stories of people who have received large pictures via email or text or used their smartphone only to receive a HUGE bill when they return home. With this package you will have a good idea of what your bill will be.

You must have a "Global Phone" that is CDMA and GSM capable in order to work everywhere but a standard Verizon, CDMA phone will work on board and in many Caribbean and Asian countries. In Europe you will need a GSM option.

Other wireless providers may have similar plans so I would check with yours if you are not a Verizon customer. It could save you a lot of money if you want to use your phone outside the country.

Take care,
Mike

Donna December 30th, 2012 07:48 PM

Great info Mike,
Every once in awhile, we hear the horror stories about cell phone bills. Bottom line, you need to know exactly what those calls are going to cost you before you use it and get the bill...

green_rd December 31st, 2012 08:50 AM

Verizon also has a program to rent you a global phone. We have done that on our two European trips.

Mike M December 31st, 2012 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by green_rd (Post 1459980)
Verizon also has a program to rent you a global phone. We have done that on our two European trips.

That is a great option for those who don't have a Global Phone.

It is good that there are options for people and hopefully people will check with their provider to find them before they go out of the country and end up with a $800 bill.

Too many people "think" that their "Anytime" or "Unlimited" voice and data plans include International only to find out the hard way that they don't.

Take care,
Mike

Phil&Liz December 31st, 2012 01:00 PM

Thanks for this Mike.

We have our trip to London with a sailing to Norway, Brussels, Germany & France.

We have iPhones with Verizon so we have been looking at what we will need to do to have full use of our smartphones.

Using wifi, ideally free with VPN for safety, will help with the cost, too. We've been looking at apps to locate hotspots at eateries and landmarks.