Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 18th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Let's see how far this goes...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old March 18th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Will be interesting to see if anything comes of this, but yes, some set or regulations should be in place, especially where passenger safety is an issue...

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 18th, 2013, 09:56 AM
Admiral

We do have a bill of rights.

Simply, we can choose to cruise or not to cruise.

TM

Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old March 18th, 2013, 10:28 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Next they'll limit the amount of soda you can have during your cruise. Bye bye Bottomless Bubbles.

They already have backup generators. I guess they mean 30 Honda's and 21.5 miles of extension cords so someone will never again have to poop in a bag.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 18th, 2013, 12:59 PM
Admiral

Default Schumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post

My wife and I have known Chuck Schumer for 30 + years .He is interested in people .He is the least political person in government today.If he is proposing something for the cruise industry I hope it comes to fruition.
Old March 18th, 2013, 06:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Manuel that's not the point at all.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 18th, 2013, 11:31 PM
Admiral

Lakers Fan, if your such pals with the good congressman, you may wish to calmly set down and explain to him that the cruise lines are already very heavily regulated and that the reason they are registered in foreign countries is that if they were registered in the U.S. by the time the U.S. Gov. got through picking their pockets as far as taxes, fees, misc. this and misc. that the cruise lines would be basically out of business and the average American wouldn't be able to cruise, thereby putting not only the cruise lines out of business but thousands of people who work for them and in industries related to the industry out of work.
Tell me what other form of travel or transportation -- not a hum haw now--- but tell me one other form of travel or transportation that carries as many people to as many destinations and back as do the cruise lines and has the safety record they have in doing so??? One? Two? --- bet you can't.
How many people are slaughtered every day in automobile wrecks due to drunk drivers on the road--how many people every day die from drug over dose-- how many die in an average year in aircraft crashes ( large and small ) and yet these things are regulated to death and we can't put a dent in the deaths, injuries and destruction they cause---so, your friend is going to try to get a bill through to " protect " the people who cruise?
To protect them from what--themselves??-- or getting sunburned because someone didn't come around on an hourly basis and remind them to put on sun block-- to remind them not to climb on the railings, that they may fall overboard? The list they need protecting from is endless if you listen to some ---but the list can be shortened to a few words--people need to use common sense--period.
How many millions of people cruise world wide each year and what is the minute number of problems that occur that they need to be protected from--- a ship that breaks down now and then? Do cars break down? Apparently so as there's thousands of garages all over the country !
In the U.S alone, the cruise industry contributes almost $40 billion (--billion with a B ) and almost 350 thousand related jobs.
Add over twice that much money for world wide cruising and more than double that for jobs.
So the Dream sat in St. Martin a couple of days and apparently your friend the congressman feels the passengers should have been refunded all their money? Why? The cruise , for all purposes was over--they had a 2 day sea voyage coming back-not like they were going to miss exotic islands somewhere.And the ship was in fine working order--Carnival took the prudent course--decided that without the back up systems working they wouldn't risk the passengers being in another situation like the Triumph. And lo and behold--they did it without your pal and the Gov. interfering with them.
The Gov. needs to tend to a lot of things-- but they need to let cruising alone, as it will self regulate--if one line gets so bad it's not worthy of peoples time and money, then the people themselves will drop it and move to another line.
It seems that some are hell bent on running the cruise lines out of business or either having them all pack up and move their home ports to the Bahamas and Mexico.
Just my opinion and yes, I agree with Manuel--people have freedoms--Manuel and I both wore the uniform that stood for guarantying people having those freedoms--so if they want to cruise, then they should know the ship may rock -- duh--it floats on water-- it may break down--duh-- it's a piece of machinery-- duh--it's hot in the tropics in the summer and fall.--Duh-- some may get motion sickness and if they drink too much they may get sick, same as they do at home and if they don't want to cruise or think it's risky, they don't have to go .
I would tell your pal he can't regulate or legislate people from themselves and if he is insistent on holding people accountable, to start in Washington, D.C--he would have more than enough work there to keep him busy for several lifetimes!
Just my opinion, meaningless to anyone but me--no, not an attack on L.F. but if he's pals with the good and honorable congressman, it would be nice of him to educate the man about the cruise industry.
Old March 19th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Admiral

Default Hmmmmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Lakers Fan, if your such pals with the good congressman, you may wish to calmly set down and explain to him that the cruise lines are already very heavily regulated and that the reason they are registered in foreign countries is that if they were registered in the U.S. by the time the U.S. Gov. got through picking their pockets as far as taxes, fees, misc. this and misc. that the cruise lines would be basically out of business and the average American wouldn't be able to cruise, thereby putting not only the cruise lines out of business but thousands of people who work for them and in industries related to the industry out of work.
Tell me what other form of travel or transportation -- not a hum haw now--- but tell me one other form of travel or transportation that carries as many people to as many destinations and back as do the cruise lines and has the safety record they have in doing so??? One? Two? --- bet you can't.
How many people are slaughtered every day in automobile wrecks due to drunk drivers on the road--how many people every day die from drug over dose-- how many die in an average year in aircraft crashes ( large and small ) and yet these things are regulated to death and we can't put a dent in the deaths, injuries and destruction they cause---so, your friend is going to try to get a bill through to " protect " the people who cruise?
To protect them from what--themselves??-- or getting sunburned because someone didn't come around on an hourly basis and remind them to put on sun block-- to remind them not to climb on the railings, that they may fall overboard? The list they need protecting from is endless if you listen to some ---but the list can be shortened to a few words--people need to use common sense--period.
How many millions of people cruise world wide each year and what is the minute number of problems that occur that they need to be protected from--- a ship that breaks down now and then? Do cars break down? Apparently so as there's thousands of garages all over the country !
In the U.S alone, the cruise industry contributes almost $40 billion (--billion with a B ) and almost 350 thousand related jobs.
Add over twice that much money for world wide cruising and more than double that for jobs.
So the Dream sat in St. Martin a couple of days and apparently your friend the congressman feels the passengers should have been refunded all their money? Why? The cruise , for all purposes was over--they had a 2 day sea voyage coming back-not like they were going to miss exotic islands somewhere.And the ship was in fine working order--Carnival took the prudent course--decided that without the back up systems working they wouldn't risk the passengers being in another situation like the Triumph. And lo and behold--they did it without your pal and the Gov. interfering with them.
The Gov. needs to tend to a lot of things-- but they need to let cruising alone, as it will self regulate--if one line gets so bad it's not worthy of peoples time and money, then the people themselves will drop it and move to another line.
It seems that some are hell bent on running the cruise lines out of business or either having them all pack up and move their home ports to the Bahamas and Mexico.
Just my opinion and yes, I agree with Manuel--people have freedoms--Manuel and I both wore the uniform that stood for guarantying people having those freedoms--so if they want to cruise, then they should know the ship may rock -- duh--it floats on water-- it may break down--duh-- it's a piece of machinery-- duh--it's hot in the tropics in the summer and fall.--Duh-- some may get motion sickness and if they drink too much they may get sick, same as they do at home and if they don't want to cruise or think it's risky, they don't have to go .
I would tell your pal he can't regulate or legislate people from themselves and if he is insistent on holding people accountable, to start in Washington, D.C--he would have more than enough work there to keep him busy for several lifetimes!
Just my opinion, meaningless to anyone but me--no, not an attack on L.F. but if he's pals with the good and honorable congressman, it would be nice of him to educate the man about the cruise industry.
First of all Chuck Schumer is a US Senator ,not a congressperson .
My point was that knowing him as I do ,he in my humble opinion is one of the few US politicians that genually cares for the people he represents.
Old March 19th, 2013, 11:20 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers Fan View Post
My point was that knowing him as I do ,he in my humble opinion is one of the few US politicians that genually cares for the people he represents.

Wow! That sure is different.

I do hope that congress does not pass a bill that kills the cruise industry.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old March 19th, 2013, 12:05 PM
Admiral

L.F.--I won't make this a political discussion as it will be moved but the last I knew, Congress was made up of two houses--Senators, and Representatives.
Anyway, happy sailing when you do cruise, , cruise every chance you get and if your ship breaks down or springs a leak, I do believe all will be well in the end! cheers---
Old March 19th, 2013, 01:01 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
My wife and I have known Chuck Schumer for 30 + years .He is interested in people .He is the least political person in government today.If he is proposing something for the cruise industry I hope it comes to fruition.
Congress should be working on a darn budget, and getting us out of so much debt...this is just a political BS scheme by a politician and any person says a congressperson (Senate or House) is not political is lying as bad as the politician...they only want power/money...I see that a few people get pissed and want government into something they don't need to be....government is the ruin of this nation and will be until people like Schumer are limited in their terms/power...if he was so non political he would not run...he is part of the ruling class and hence looking for a payout someplace and a large part of this nation's problems right now, focusing on stupid stuff and not doing their darn jobs...Congress needs to fix the stuff they have broken before worrying about breaking more stuff that is not broken...funny part is they did not leave anyone "stranded" what does this idiot want aircraft landing decks to evacuate passengers when something like this occurs...jezzz IDOIT congressman...they are ALL Jerks and criminals to start with all they want is more power and more money - ALL OF THEM

Old March 19th, 2013, 01:08 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
You need to study government a senator is a member of congress last time I check, of course they all want to be kings and such with all the perks of "serving the people" they already get...losers are taking money from my fellow Veterans yet have free haircuts...ya, really serving the people and even caring about them, like was said before the congressman needs to tend to the problems in the congress before making more problems with useless regulations...and anyone who says a congress person is their friend is either a political donor, or someone this congress person has said hello to a few times...but in the congress person's mind is just a tool they use...they are all crooks, every last one of them...if not tell me how so many of them are millionaires....

Old March 19th, 2013, 02:55 PM
Admiral

Default I know 4

Chuck Schumer and my school chum Barbara Boxer are not millionaires .

Barney Frank who I've met and Norm Coleman who I also have met (the latter a conservative republican) are not millionaires.

Dov Hikind whom I know is not a millionaire nor are Mike Nelson ,Allan Fromberg and Allan Meisel .All are elected officials .
Old March 19th, 2013, 03:23 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:

Barney Frank who I've met and Norm Coleman who I also have met (the latter a conservative republican) are not millionaires.

Dov Hikind whom I know is not a millionaire nor are Mike Nelson ,Allan Fromberg and Allan Meisel .All are elected officials .
obviously you are some kind of political party rep, who cares if they are liberals or conservative, they are all idiots who do nothing but rob us the people...
Check your facts before posting a little research will show you have very little facts of your "friends"
Barbra Boxer: Based on congressional financial disclosure forms and calculations made available by OpenSecrets.org - The Center for Responsive Politics, Boxer's net worth as of 2011 was estimated between $1,147,008 and $5,380,000. That averages to $3,263,504, which is lower than the average net worth of Democratic Senators in 2011 of $20,795,450.

Chuck Schumer: Based on congressional financial disclosure forms and calculations made available by OpenSecrets.org - The Center for Responsive Politics, Schumer's net worth as of 2010 was estimated between $472,019 and $1,230,000. That averages to $851,009.50, which is lower than the average net worth of Democratic Senators in 2010 of $19,383,524

Barney Frank: But up until now, Frank, by Congressional standards, has barely cracked the middle class. His personal net worth was estimated at between $1.9 million and $4.6 million in 2010 by the Center for Responsive Politics, enough to qualify for the top 1 percent in the general population, but below average at the U.S. Capitol.

I am not going to keep proving you wrong unless the above figures you don't feel make these people millionaires...keep falling for political lies (both sides) all they want is your money and the power they can grab, I don't think any of them are in it for the "people"

Old March 22nd, 2013, 09:00 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:

Keep trying, eventually you will get something right. ..... I think.

Even the blind monkey eventually finds a banana.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 09:58 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johneeo View Post
Keep trying, eventually you will get something right. ..... I think.

Even the blind monkey eventually finds a banana.
Really?
Not sure why people feel the need to be insulting to one another here.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

cruising the Breeze with Ray B & Lisa

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Old March 22nd, 2013, 10:55 AM
Admiral

Default Aerogirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogirl View Post
Really?
Not sure why people feel the need to be insulting to one another here.

Some people go through life being nasty .I feel sorry for them.