Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 1st, 2013, 11:53 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Five Nights in White Satin - Moody Blues Cruise

Five Nights in White Satin
by Judy Cuervo

A cruise featuring the Zombies, Asia, Ambrosia, Little River Band, Stephen Bishop, Joe Williams (Toto) and Greg Lake

The Moody Blues on stage on Poesia

Warning: If you're a big fan of The Moody Blues or other classic and prog rock artists, you'll be kicking yourself for missing the March 20th rock cruise on MSC Poesia. Cruising round trip from Fort Lauderdale and visiting Jamaica and Grand Cayman, this was the real rock and roll deal: No tribute bands or stand-ins, but the original, legendary artists themselves assembled for an extravaganza that was chock full (and I mean chock full) of concerts and events that allowed fans to get up close and personal with many of their idols.

Don't be too hard on yourself, though. Unless you're a die-hard, dedicated follower of The Moody Blues, you'd never have known about this full charter of the 2,550-passenger Poesia. Consumer advertising was limited to the band's website and a companion Facebook site which, in the end, was all it took to fill the ship to capacity with fans from 20 different countries including Australia, Norway, Belarus, Turkey, The Philippines and New Zealand.

Sponsored Links
Old April 1st, 2013, 02:34 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Best kept secret indeed!!

Yes you can add me to the list of people who are kicking themselves....Moody Blues, Strawbs and Zombies all on one cruise??? That's my dream vacation!! and no I did not hear anything about it. How could I have missed this? Will there be another one in the future?

--Woeful in Rochester NY
Old April 1st, 2013, 09:10 PM
Welcome Newcomer

As an avid Moody fan, I was aware of the cruise and a friend managed to book us in early enough to get VIP status. It was well worth the effort and money, IMHO. We were not able to hear all the artists, unfortunately, and had the same dilemma in trying to fit everything in. The quality of the food was fine and was secondary to the music as far as I was concerned. The ship was lovely and stylish. Prom night was a blast--finally managed to go to my senior prom as a senior citizen and still didn't have a date this time around. No matter, none needed for dancing and singing the night away under the stars. Thanks to Mike and all those who made this cruise possible.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 12:46 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Smile

We booked the minute the booking opened and went as VIP's. It was amazing!! Still regret not getting to all of the shows we wanted to see but since a lot of them were either back to back or overlapped the one before it, it was just about impossible to see them all. Excursions were fun, one in Jamaica and one in Cayman Islands. I just didn't want this cruise to end! I've been a Moody blues fan since 1967 and this was a Moody Blues dream come true! The guys were in great spirits whether on stage or just passing by on the ship. What an incredible experience for a first time cruiser like me!!
Old April 2nd, 2013, 09:45 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Smile Missed the Boat but not next time!

I have been a 4 decade Moody Blues fan, along with all the other outstanding bands and artists and it was such a shame I could not go on her maiden Voyage out with the Moody Cruise! So many of us have wished and hoped and prayed the Moodies loved this, so they would think about doing it again. Especially for us here in the UK, a Mediterranean Cruise would help the cost since flying back to the States just about doubles it. I belong to all the MB FB sites as well as their own website: Moody Blues |

and so I was well informed BUT the timing was great for some who did not have kids in school which I did and also could not take out due to different Easter break times, tests that they were doing here in the UK, so in future, please, please offer this again, maybe on this side of the pond, and allow all of us who did not go, for one reason or another, get the chance of a lifetime to do a Moody Blues Cruise, all the bands are great too, so any of them coming back would be also wonderful, but there are still so many great ones out touring too. The reviews were all great as I read them on the FB sites and the Moodies themselves have all said they loved it, even Justin, and would do it again...so I do hope you make lots of people's dreams come true and offer it again. Thanks!
Old April 2nd, 2013, 04:17 PM
Captain

I'd have loved to go on this cruise. And a Joan Baez cruise would be nice too. FYI, go to YouTube. There are a lot of videos posted of the Moody's, Greg Lake, Zombies, etc performances from this cruise.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE7Vu44IVC4
Old April 3rd, 2013, 03:32 AM
Captain

Default Yes, we were on this cruise.

And it was just like the Cruise Mates reporter described it. Now, we generally prefer the smaller ships of Silverseas, Regent, and the like for regular cruises. So naturally, we were concerned about taking a 2500 pax ship. But we went for the music and told ourselves "at least, we can expect better accommodations than they had at Woodstock"! And the music was so prevalent that it overlapped, just as your staff reported. And it was great. Onboard, my wife talked to an organizer of the music cruise and learned they were trying to do it again.

We learned about it due to the fact that we sent to a Moody Blues concert in Oklahoma a couple of years ago, and my wife signed up for Emails about the Moodies, and through that, she got one about his cruise.

Now, your staff reviewer nailed it about the music, and I second everything he said. So I;ll concentrate on the cruise aspects. The ship is very clean and very nice. If one were blindfolded and taken on the ship -- blindfold removed, he would swear he was on a ship of one of the lux lines and not a budget or mass market line. The service crew was outstanding. I agree with your reviewer about the food. "Ordinary" is the word I use. Not great and not horrible - just ordinary. But we did not book for the food. For this cruise (and not for MSC's regular cruises) we were offered drink packages that in effect turned MSC's "nickel and dime" drink policies into a virtual all inclusive -- for less total cost than an all inclusive line. If MSC would do this on all their cruises, we' take them on our "regular" cruises.

The ship was 100% full, but the lines and crowds were nowhere as bad as we have experienced on other ships with as many passengers. I think one reason is the Poesia has two dining rooms on separate floors. Even though it has fixed dining times and fixed seating, this reduces the crowds lining up for a single dining room that we've experienced on other ships of similar capacity.
One bad point was the extra cost in-room wireless internet. It never worked, and MSC had no on-board computer guy to send up to fix it. In a poor effort to compensate us for this MSC gave us 20 minutes free on the last day. Of course, this was worthless, as it didn't work! Front desk help was worthless on this ship. No way to get contact with anybody "in authority". Had to reverse the wireless internet charge through AMEX. The computers in the central internet room were equally worthless. Don't pay to use the computers on this ship!

On a happier note, we usually think ship's photographers are a PIA. But they were really good on the Poesia. Those photographers really knew how to pose people, and actually "modified" the photos to make some of us "elderly" look 20 years younger, so naturally we bought some of the photos. All in all, if they do it again, we'll do it again.

The Poesia IS designed for music cruises, with its large auditorium. It is a shame that no beverages are served there, and passengers are not even allowed to take bottled water there. Classic rock always goes better with a beer, but it is good anyway.

Last edited by babe ruth; April 3rd, 2013 at 03:38 AM.
Old April 3rd, 2013, 06:39 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default The People make this cruise the best.

My husband and I have cruised before and besides the thrills and excitement of the music, what really made this cruise stand out were all the other people aboard. It was a floating party that lasted from the check in at Port Everglades and ran night and day till we disembarked -- and continues with all our pictures and videos plus emails to new friends we made all over the world.

The "frosting on the cake" for us was we had just completed a five year in the writing book about the Moody Blues Timeless Troubadours: The Moody Blues Lyrics and Music which we were allowed to give away on the ship. Actually, still in the galley proof stage, people gladly accepted copies and added to the fun by being joyful about being given a book. And now the book has made the charts on Amazon in two weeks time. (This is based on purchases, not give aways.

We really think the people on the cruise made it a wonderful five days!
Old April 3rd, 2013, 03:23 PM
Captain

Ooh, I'd want to see Richie Havens too!
James Tayor and ZZ Top have done cruises so I wouldn't be surprised these days who might show up.
"Ladies and gentlemen, Celebrity cruises proudly presents THE ROLLING STONES!".
Old April 4th, 2013, 06:36 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Moody Blues Cruise

My wife and I have been following the MB since the 60s so we jumped at the chance for this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. They did not disappoint. The really big surprise was the other performers. Loved hearing the Zombies [Rod Argent, Colin Bluestone and the band did a 9 minute version of "Hold Your Head Up"]. Also on the cruise were Little River Band, Greg Lake [Emerson Lake & Palmer], Asia featuring John Payne [although I would have preferred the Asia with John Wetton, Geoff Downes and Carl Palmer], Stephen Bishop, The Strawbs, The Prog Collective, Heavy Mellow and Mellow Yellow. However, aside from the MB, the two we enjoyed the most were Joe Williams [former lead singer of Toto], whose voice is still amazing after all these years]. We also learned that his father is the multi-Oscar winning composer John Williams - talk about a talented family. Our #1 favorite was Ambrosia, who, with new lead singer Rick Cowling absolutely rocked the ship. Rick's energy and enthusiasm was contagious and his voice is every bit as good as original lead singer David Pack. Bonus - we got to share a cab with Rick and his wife from the ship to the airport. As for the ship itself, we found it less than average. The food was mostly so-so and the buffet rooms were always having problems, including constantly running out of ice and coffee. Dinner in the dining room was excruciatingly slow. One of the elevators near our cabin was constantly malfunctioning or out of service altogether. Our room included two bunk beds that pulled down from the wall but which made it extremely difficult to get in and out of bed without hitting your head. Of the dozen or so cruises we have been on, this ship was the least impressive.
Old April 4th, 2013, 11:57 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Phenomenal Cruise

One of my girlfriends heard about this cruise in August and along with another friend, we booked as soon as we could. I wasn't all that interested in the Moody Blues, but wanted to go to hear Ambrosia, Zombies and Asia. I had already been to the destinations, so that wasn't the draw. Well, as most of the original hippies on this cruise will attest, every music group was amazing! These bands were great and the lead vocals were crystal clear. The venues made the acoustics sound incredible. All in my party were thrilled, and as others have said, it was so difficult to decide or schedule your time. There was so much music and so little time! If this trip had lasted another 5 days, it wouldn't have been too long!
The ship was very nice and again, as others have said, with so many people on board, it did not seem crowded. No lines for food, very often, although getting coffee in the am took some time. Yes, the food could be only warm at times, but breakfast was very good. And, I never could figure out how they kept over easy eggs hot and not overcooked! That was just amazing to me.
Well, all in all, I would do this again in a heartbeat...sign me up...soon!
I feel bad for anyone that wanted to go on this cruise and didn't get to. This truly was a fantastic voyage!
Oh, and these bands are some of the "greats of Rock"! If you weren't there, you have no idea and have no right to say who or who would not "do this gig".
This was not cheesy, by any stretch. It was five days of absolutely great concerts by great bands with great sound, and the production crew was awesome and worked tirelessly to put it all together! I'm pretty sure 99% of the people who went on this trip would do it again, if possible!
Old April 5th, 2013, 02:36 PM
Admiral

Default Just an opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy Boucher-Chacos View Post
One of my girlfriends heard about this cruise in August and along with another friend, we booked as soon as we could. I wasn't all that interested in the Moody Blues, but wanted to go to hear Ambrosia, Zombies and Asia. I had already been to the destinations, so that wasn't the draw. Well, as most of the original hippies on this cruise will attest, every music group was amazing! These bands were great and the lead vocals were crystal clear. The venues made the acoustics sound incredible. All in my party were thrilled, and as others have said, it was so difficult to decide or schedule your time. There was so much music and so little time! If this trip had lasted another 5 days, it wouldn't have been too long!
The ship was very nice and again, as others have said, with so many people on board, it did not seem crowded. No lines for food, very often, although getting coffee in the am took some time. Yes, the food could be only warm at times, but breakfast was very good. And, I never could figure out how they kept over easy eggs hot and not overcooked! That was just amazing to me.
Well, all in all, I would do this again in a heartbeat...sign me up...soon!
I feel bad for anyone that wanted to go on this cruise and didn't get to. This truly was a fantastic voyage!
Oh, and these bands are some of the "greats of Rock"! If you weren't there, you have no idea and have no right to say who or who would not "do this gig".
This was not cheesy, by any stretch. It was five days of absolutely great concerts by great bands with great sound, and the production crew was awesome and worked tirelessly to put it all together! I'm pretty sure 99% of the people who went on this trip would do it again, if possible!
One of my cousins is a very well known pop singer .She has in fact appeared on cruise ships and will be this year as well.She loves to mingle with people .
My point was that singers that I refer to as Classic Rock artists would not likely do that kind of gig .I discussed this with a longtime friend who was a member of Hot Tuna and another ,a member of Mountain as well as members of other groups who concurred with me .

Its solely my opinion .If anyone wants to book this kind of excursion ,thats their right to do so.
Old April 7th, 2013, 09:12 PM
Welcome Newcomer

This thread is about the Moody Blues Cruise, Barbara, and not a platform for marketing a self-published book written by fans in an effort to get close to the band and to make money off of their accomplishments. I won't waste time or money on this book and judging from reviews posted elsewhere a significant number of the people who did purchase this book regret having done so.

That being said, the cruise was lovely and the music was fabulous. Perhaps there will be another one in the not too distant future for those who missed this one.
Old May 13th, 2013, 11:51 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default The Moody Cruise of a Lifetime

I can't believe I was on this cruise and one of the most amazing experiences of a lifetime. This cruise was all about the music, the magic, the Moody Blues. If I had 2 complaints it was that the boat was too small and the cruise was way too short. But seriously, as a lifelong fan of the Moody Blues this was 5 days in Moody heaven. Maybe next time the Norwegian Epic.