Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 24th, 2013, 01:18 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default You aren't cheating on your spouse. :)

When you cruise a different line.

I know that we all have favorite cruise lines and many of us have multiple cruises on a cruise line.

What I have a hard time understanding is why people feel so bad when they book a cruise on a different cruise line. Perhaps, the reasons to change line can be anything from, the last cruise or cruises didn't go too well or there was a better price or itinerary on a different line.

I personally cruise all lines and I will say that I like some more than others but I am not married to any cruise line.

Can anyone explain the "guilt" factor when trying a new cruise line?

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Sponsored Links
Old April 24th, 2013, 01:23 PM
Captain

I'm excited to try new lines.

Although I wasn't a fan of NCL it doesn't ruin a trip just means they need to be extra cheap or have an itinerary I can't get elsewhere to go again.

BOOKED: Holland Oosterdam May 25; 7N ship, 4N Anchorage, 6N Denali, 5N Denver
11 cruises in 2012, 90 nights at sea visiting 15 countries
8 cruises in 2013, 56 nights at sea visiting 7 countries
Old April 24th, 2013, 02:33 PM
Admiral

I would not feel that I was cheating at all. I only plan to cruise on Royal or Celebrity because I enjoy what they have to offer.
I don't cruise that often and now that I live in Florida, there are so many things to do here and I will probably even less. But when I do I want to go the ship that I prefer.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old April 24th, 2013, 05:07 PM
Admiral

Guilt is never an option
Old April 24th, 2013, 05:53 PM
Admiral

I suppose people may feel they are missing out on building loyalty points when they "cruise around"

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old April 26th, 2013, 12:14 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd View Post
I suppose people may feel they are missing out on building loyalty points when they "cruise around"
The loyalty points are a good thing.

I like the term ( cruise around ).

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old April 26th, 2013, 02:53 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd View Post
It may help to check around. For instance it is easier to get to the top level on celebrity and then you automatically get a similar level on other lines owned by the same company. I've never been on Azamara but I'd get the perks on the first trip I do take now.

I wish Carnival had a similar program to Royal.

BOOKED: Holland Oosterdam May 25; 7N ship, 4N Anchorage, 6N Denali, 5N Denver
11 cruises in 2012, 90 nights at sea visiting 15 countries
8 cruises in 2013, 56 nights at sea visiting 7 countries
Old April 26th, 2013, 08:52 PM
Admiral

Not a guilt issue; just of perks and personal relationships. We will spread out to more than the two cruise lines we sail when we have more time to cruise more often; for now, we are satisfied with our choices.

Marc

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old April 29th, 2013, 08:05 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I know I often see people write things like "we feel guilty for going on a different line form our usual "fill-in-the-blank".

And I often wonder why they say that. Now of course I understand "loyalty programs", etc, but this is something else - these people have formed a real bond with these cruise lines, and I think in many cases I think that in their minds they believe the line has come to know them, and they feel guilty for going elsewhere like they are cheating.

It is probably because they meet certain people on board - like the cruise director, who they have a conversation with about the CD on a sister ship, and they have "mutual friends. They also know the waiters and some of the room stewards, (because it is not unusual to see workers you know move around from ship to ship).

Or it could be like our old friend Goldfinger (?) who just knew a certain cruise line was the best because, I don't know why, I guess he "did the math" and figured it out.
Old May 1st, 2013, 12:23 PM
Familiar Face

I met a couple on the Norwegian Star last March that have been on over 70 cruises and another gentleman from New Orleans that had been on over 50. I believe the vast majority of both their cruises were on the Norwegian line.

I like Norwegian (this was my first cruise with them) but I don't pick my cruises by line. I pick by destination, date and price, in that order. Now, I do miss the whole loyalty program perks, but that is the price I pay.

I have only been on three cruises (Royal Caribbean, Carnival and Norwegian). I am honing in on a Princess cruise for my next trip (10-day out of San Francisco is looking tasty) and I don't feel like a dirty little cheater
Old May 3rd, 2013, 11:28 AM
Admiral

No guilt factor here. I am an equal opportunity cruiser! The down side to that is I have no real loyalty points after 21 cruises-lol! The upside is some of these cruises were really great deals so it hardly matters that I have no real loyalty points.

I would cruise any line again again with the right ittineary, even Carnival, my least favorite. I do prefer lines with stricter non smoking polices though.

I have now achieved-
ONE HUNDRED DAYS ON A CRUISE SHIP!!!!!!!!!!
139 days total

Booked: Celebrity Silhouette November 23, 2014
Old May 3rd, 2013, 11:36 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerospace View Post
It may help to check around. For instance it is easier to get to the top level on celebrity and then you automatically get a similar level on other lines owned by the same company. I've never been on Azamara but I'd get the perks on the first trip I do take now.

I wish Carnival had a similar program to Royal.
Now that is true-and we need only 2 more points to be "elite" on Celebrity. My husband likes a 7 day offered by RCI for a Baltic that if we were to go next year we would more than likely do-however I am willing to wait to 2015 and do a longer cruise. If he insists next year is the year then I want to go back on the Connie for a 4 day in conceriage so we can get those perks. I love cappucino!

I have now achieved-
139 days total

Old May 4th, 2013, 06:02 PM
Admiral

I think that some people decide to become attached to one cruise line. Whatever the reason, they will tell everyone that their cruise line is the best. Almost a made up elitist attitude. Then, they feel guilty about it if they end up sailing on a different line. I have one friend who actually got angry with me because I go on whatever cruise line has the itinerary, price and size that I am looking for (I can't physically handle the mega ships, but wish I could). She thought I was foolish or maybe even evil for not going on her cruise line of choice. When she said she liked the perks of loyalty and she mention free appetizers, I couldn't help myself. Why on earth would anyone choose a cruise on the basis of extra free food? I didn't say that, though. I can use tact when needed. But, I did laugh out loud. Probably worse, but I just couldn't hold it in.
Marty
Old May 21st, 2013, 05:31 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie View Post
I think that some people decide to become attached to one cruise line. Whatever the reason, they will tell everyone that their cruise line is the best. Almost a made up elitist attitude. Then, they feel guilty about it if they end up sailing on a different line. I have one friend who actually got angry with me because I go on whatever cruise line has the itinerary, price and size that I am looking for (I can't physically handle the mega ships, but wish I could). She thought I was foolish or maybe even evil for not going on her cruise line of choice. When she said she liked the perks of loyalty and she mention free appetizers, I couldn't help myself. Why on earth would anyone choose a cruise on the basis of extra free food? I didn't say that, though. I can use tact when needed. But, I did laugh out loud. Probably worse, but I just couldn't hold it in.
Marty
Lol! I guess you are right when it comes down to it. Doing another cruise in order to get free capucinos and a discount on laundry is a bit silly. Maybe we will not bother with havign elite statis from Celebrity before sailing RCI again. We would have to want to do another cruise for other reasons for it to be worth it.

I have now achieved-
139 days total