CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   American Express (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/396037-american-express.html)

Arion May 10th, 2013 08:44 PM

American Express

Hello

Quick question for Americans and Cruisers ( I think I might find both here ).

Can anyone tell me how widely accepted American Express is on Cruise Ships and in the United States? I'd like to know in terms of both Point of Sale, and ATM's.

I've got some USD from shares I sold in the US, and I'm looking for a place to put them, such that they're safe ( ie not cash - cash can get lost/stolen ), and that I can access them from cruise ships and the united states ( ie not the deposit a/c they're in at the minute that I can only access when physically in the branch ), and American Express seems to be the only card I can find that I can get here and fund with USD without converting them to Euro first ( there are plenty of prepaid Mastercards around in USD, but they have to be prepaid in Euro, and then converted to USD ).

I'm just a little concerned because hardly anywhere here seems to accept American Express.

cruise planner May 10th, 2013 09:21 PM

American Express is widely accepted, but you'll find Visa and Mastercard are more popular.

Cruise ships accept all the major credit cards, so you won't have a problem.

Pete

Arion May 10th, 2013 09:40 PM

Thanks Pete. Looks like American Express will do the trick then. Just wasn't sure if American Express was "major" enough for cruise ships.

seadog2 May 11th, 2013 04:46 PM

One word of warning, some places don't accept the American Express card that you load your travelers cheques on. Don't know why this is but some places will accept the cheques but not the card.

Mike M May 11th, 2013 10:49 PM

American Express is accepted in far more places in the U.S. than in Europe. On cruise ships, almost all hotels and most restaurants will accept American Express. Small restaurants and business may not because Amex charges a higher merchant fee.

I use Amex for most of my purchases and always use it to secure my onboard account.

American Express also has the best fraud department and fraud detection. If transactions do get through they will take them off with no questions asked. They also are better than ANY other company in getting you a new card if yours is lost or stolen. I had one within three hours when we lost ours a few years ago in Barcelona. I just went to the American Express office a few hours after reporting it and a new card was waiting.

Take care,
Mike

Manuel May 12th, 2013 07:09 AM

I use my American Express card a lot. I have traveled to many places and every hotel i have stayed in has accepted American Express.
As Mmike said, cruise ships will accept all major credit cards.

TM