Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 5th, 2013, 08:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default How about you?

Has the hassle of flying with it's higer prices, baggage fees, etc, made you think twice about flying to your port of choice,to cruise, and found you rethinking ports closer to home? I know geography will prevent some from answering this question.

I know we have been rethinking things, and looking closer to to home.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old August 5th, 2013, 08:14 PM
Admiral

In a word, yes.
Old August 5th, 2013, 08:22 PM
Admiral

We are cruising from NY and NJ .We are thinking about Boston next year.
Old August 5th, 2013, 08:31 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I must be luckiest man in regard to air travel. I hear and read about the trials and tribulations that people go through and I have experienced little of it.

Yes: I have to be patted down each time I go through security. Never have been disrespected or treated with anything other than professional behavior. Well, this guy in Poland was sort of jerk but I think it was cultural and not personal.

I have flown hundreds of thousands of miles, probably close to a million by now, and though I have experienced late flights, canceled flights, a few bumpy flights, it is not the norm.

Do I like the seats in current aircraft? No, but they are tolerable, even for my 6'2" 250 pound body, on a twelve hour flight. I would love to just appear at my destination but if I want to see the world I have to put up with some discomfort. If I can upgrade, I will, but I won't fork over $5,000+ for five to twelve hours of a little more space.

A few things I do to make air travel easier are:

1. Get to the airport in plenty of time. A lot of the "issues" I see and hear about are having to wait for security and rushing through the airport to make it to the gate on time. You know there will be lines and that planes board at least 30 minutes before departure so plan accordingly.

2. Never schedule a flight so, that in the event you miss it, your travel plans are ruined. i.e. Don't fly in on the day of a cruise. Don't get a flight with anything under a 90 minute layover.

3. Use airport lounges. If you don't have airport lounge access, I suggest paying for a day pass if you have a longer layover. I have the Amex Platinum Card which comes with Priority Pass and it gives access to airport lounges all over the world. Most of these lounges offer comfortable seating, food (some of it dang good), drinks, showers and private areas. This is, in itself, worth the higher annual fee of the card.

4. Like in cruising, don't sweat the stuff you can't control. If you get singled out for a pat down then just go with it. I would lay money on it that the man or woman who is giving you a pat down isn't getting any thrill out of it either. I have seen a few instances where it wasn't the TSA agent who was out of line it was the traveler.

5. Don't just go "cheap". If you have to pay additional to get a flight with a better schedule, reasonable layovers and on a decent airline then bite the bullet.

Yes: There are probably a lot of things, in regard to travel, that I put up with that others don't but guess what? I have more fun and less stress.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 5th, 2013, 08:42 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to Marguerite

Our last 4 cruises have been from NJ, no more flying for us! Just worried about cruising with Royal Caribbean, usually go with Celebrity or Princess, but they are basically not doing NY or NJ anymore.
Marguerite
Old August 5th, 2013, 09:21 PM
Admiral

Default Aha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marguerite View Post
Our last 4 cruises have been from NJ, no more flying for us! Just worried about cruising with Royal Caribbean, usually go with Celebrity or Princess, but they are basically not doing NY or NJ anymore.
Marguerite
We cruised several times from NY on HAL .They no longer leave from here .The closest area is Boston which is about 5 hours or Baltimore also about 5 hours .
Old August 6th, 2013, 06:16 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post

Yes: There are probably a lot of things, in regard to travel, that I put up with that others don't but guess what? I have more fun and less stress.

Take care,
Mike
There is not much fun in flying these days. I have flown quite a bit myself and it sure is not as pleasant as it was when I first started flying.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old August 6th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
There is not much fun in flying these days. I have flown quite a bit myself and it sure is not as pleasant as it was when I first started flying.

TM
I agree that commercial travel isn't the "luxurious experience" it once was but I don't find it the ordeal that many do. It is the means to an end. You have to get somewhere so you take a plane.

For me the novelty of airline travel wore off long ago. Before the cutbacks and smaller seats so perhaps I just take it in stride.

The things I can't understand is that people will deny themselves the experience of traveling the world because they have to endure two to twelve hours of semi-uncomfortable seating or having to go through airport security.

My sister is a good example. We flew together to Miami. It was uneventful going through security and the flight was fine except for about two minutes of mild turbulence. I have been on freeways that are more bumpy. Yet, once we landed my sister sighed and looked like she had just come off the Titanic and said "I can't believe how rough that flight was." I just rolled my eyes and said: "Suck it up Sis."

I have found, from personal experience, that the people who have a fear of flying are the ones who over play any small issue about flying.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 6th, 2013, 02:12 PM
Admiral

Going to one of the airline lounges does have a calming effect and makes it better while waiting. It is the best perk I have with the platinum card. I agree with Mike - even buying a day pass is well worth it.

I'll drive to New Orleans for a cruise but don't like going more than that distance - which ends up being around 7 hours for us counting a lunch break.