CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   Raise the Concordia (See it Live) (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/398787-raise-concordia-see-live.html)

Paul Motter September 16th, 2013 11:07 AM

Raise the Concordia (See it Live)

BBC News - LIVE: Attempt to pull the Costa Concordia upright

This BBC site has live coverage of the event. It now looks like there are about 5-6 feet newly exposed to the air (you can see the line where the seaweed was growing on the hull now in the open air).

It's a good feed with many camera angles

Donna September 16th, 2013 12:32 PM

Thanks Paul,
Those are some amazing shots....Will be watching throughout the day.

This is another live feed that is good:

Raising the Concordia

Paul Motter September 16th, 2013 01:00 PM

News Conference starting now at the BBC site in the article - unfortunately the Italian is drowning out the english translation but I can isolate it pretty well.

They have reached 12 degrees, and plan to work through the night. (they originally said 10 hours). At 24 degrees they will switch from using cables to using ballast. The had only minor problems with four cables - the original delay was caused by the weather.

Questions.... answers

. How will you work through the night? They will use the necessary lights to keep operating through the night, which are already in place.

. Four cables were causing problems in what way? The four cables were on the sponsons - the cables get shorter as the tension gets tighter, and the problem was that the extra cable no longer under tension was getting in the way.

. Why did you estimate 10-12 hours? - Murphy's law, technical issues slowed down the project (cables).

. What is climate in control room - why was it assembled after the storm? The "climate is that there are many professionals doing their jobs, no emotional involvement.

. How is the ship behaving in physical aspect? It is the best possible physical form, it is coming up as a singular piece, which is exactly what we were hoping to see.

. Still no "plan B?". This is not the point - we are accomplishing what we originally planned - why ask about circumstances that are not occurring? We went through very detailed pre-planning and I cannot document it all now, but the plan was approved and it is working. If there is a problem we need to be able to solve it - we did solve the one problem we had (cables) with the people on hand - no special extraordinary measures were taken, - We have one plan and it is working. When we finish the operation tomorrow we will be able to say it is over - but I don't think it is useful to document what could go wrong.

. Why are you sitting there acting as if no problems ever happen? This is a friend of mine from Giglio (laughs)

. It is clear that the operation will take time - so do you have an idea when this will end, by dawn tomorrow morning? yes, we will be done by dawn.

. Is the Minister of the Environment coming? He called, and he is coming but is not here yet.

It is going to be a long night, so we will come back with the latest news.

Dave Beers September 16th, 2013 05:31 PM

The latest video image shows that all of the starboard bridge wing is now clear of the water.

I think some people might be expecting to see the ship sitting high in the water when this phase is completed, but it won't be. A large part of the vessel will still be underwater but it will be sitting upright.

Paul Motter September 16th, 2013 05:47 PM

got a link?

Dave Beers September 16th, 2013 07:30 PM

Reuters is still showing a live feed. http://live.reuters.com/Event/Raising_the_Costa_Concordia

I think I was in error about the starboard bridge wing being out of the water. It is the deck above the bridge I saw.

Dave Beers September 16th, 2013 08:40 PM

The pulling phase of parbuckling is complete according to the latest report. The outboard sponsons will now slowly fill with water to passively complete rolling the ship into an upright and stable position on the underwater platform.

Dave Beers September 16th, 2013 10:01 PM

The Costa Concordia is upright on the stand! The plan worked. Damage to the starboard side is quite evident and substantial.

Paul Motter September 17th, 2013 04:44 AM

Unfortunately, I think they expected that damage. they knew it was "sinking into the rocks.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/...leLarge-v2.jpg

DonD September 17th, 2013 09:36 AM

On the link below, they're some great pictures and a time lapse video.

Costa Concordia emerges from the sea after 19-hour salvage battle | Mail Online

Aerogirl September 17th, 2013 11:02 AM

Amazing pictures but heartbreaking too see!

Paul Motter September 17th, 2013 11:04 AM

Be sure to see the FULL time-lapse all the way to raising the ship here:

Raising the Concordia

Dave Beers September 17th, 2013 12:21 PM

With the time lapse video you can definitely tell when the sponsons started filling with seawater which sped up the rolling to upright.

Paul Motter September 17th, 2013 12:30 PM

Dave - you were correct that the ship is sitting far lower than expected. I surmise it is on the platform they built for it to rest on. The waterline is all way up at deck 10, about at bridge level. - which makes you wonder if captain Schettino had a premonition that someday he might look out from that bridge and see a water-line right outside the window.

A full article/book on exactly what happened that night would make a great movie.

When they eventually float the ship (which they will do by blowing the water out of the sponsons and replacing it with air), the ship will rise enough to move, but it won't go back to its original draft below the hull line as far as I know.

I guess the interior is a pea-soup of fetid rotting foods and other materials that were trapped under water all this time. Its going to be a real clean up job, yuck.

seadog2 September 17th, 2013 02:21 PM

Those are some amazing photos. Amazing but gut wrenching. It makes you realize how tragic this really was. My heart goes out to those families who lost loved ones.

Donna September 17th, 2013 04:58 PM

Wow, it truly is amazing to watch, especially after resting there for 20 months....Such a huge feat...

Aerogirl September 17th, 2013 05:20 PM

Here is a site with great pictures
Costa Concordia emerges from the sea after 19-hour salvage battle | Mail Online