CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   Would you cruise if you only had $200 to spend on the ship? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/399435-would-you-cruise-if-you-only-had-200-spend-ship.html)

Truck Cruiser October 14th, 2013 01:12 AM

Would you cruise if you only had $200 to spend on the ship?

The very first cruise we were on was a Princess cruise over spring break several years ago. We met a college student on the ship who told us that he was only allowing himself 1 beer per day because he only had $50.00 with him to pay for extras.

I just finished reading Kuki's blog on Cruise Budgeting and I am curious to see just how many folks here on cruise mates would go on a cruise if you were limited to say $200.00 to spend above and beyond the cruise fare and auto tips? Could you, as the young man I described above, really enjoy yourself by being so severely limited on funds?

aerospace October 14th, 2013 06:35 AM

I rarely spend more than $200 extra and cruise ALL THE TIME lol.

Think of it this way; I'm sailing on Oasis for a week, already booked. Friend wants me to commit to beverage package $50/day plus tips. Instead I will get off the ship, change over to the Epic, and sail an extra week. Same cost basically. And that's one add on, think of how many trips you could take had you not gambled or spend hours in the spa etc.

Manuel October 14th, 2013 07:17 AM

I would not cruise if I was limited to how much I can spend.

Since I'm not a young person, I am more interested in the quality of my trip and doing what I want to do than the cost of my activities.

Our next cruise is coming up before too long and I will be spending a lot more than $200.

TM

Donna October 14th, 2013 08:16 AM

As long as the $200 did not include excursions, it could be possible. Since I don't drink much or gamble, it is possible. Like Manuel, I still would not limit myself to any amount, even though I could do that.

BernieG October 14th, 2013 11:58 AM

If it were a 2 day cruise, sure :)

Manuel October 14th, 2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BernieG (Post 1487024)
If it were a 2 day cruise, sure :)

I like your answer.:D

TM

Trip October 14th, 2013 02:28 PM

In my almost 30 cruises, there have been many, where my sail and sign card was under $200.00...I could certainly do it withour a whimper.

Moiraine October 14th, 2013 03:20 PM

I don't gamble much and I don't drink much, either, so yes, it would not be a problem.

Manuel October 14th, 2013 04:55 PM

I'm a bad boy. I do drink and gamble and my DW does dome shopping so $200 would just a abut take care of two days at the most.

TM

Moiraine October 14th, 2013 05:58 PM

TM, not bad, it's just a matter of taste. If you like to drink and gamble and have the money, then go have a good time.

Marc October 14th, 2013 07:24 PM

I haven't had a bill at end of cruise over $20 in years; of course, I pay a lot more upfront. My most of expensive recent trip was on Silver Explorer wherein i just had the #300 amex credit and paid $150 for video and $170 for internet.

Marc

Dave Beers October 14th, 2013 07:51 PM

I spend about $100-$150 a day while on a cruise so there is no way $200 would work for me, unless, as Bernie said, it was a 2-night cruise.

Manuel October 14th, 2013 09:24 PM

I spend about the same as Dave.

On the average cruise we do spend about $150 a day.

As much as I like to cruise, I'm happy to cruise once or maybe twice a year.
We do other trips and since I live near Daytona Beach and not too far from Orlando, there is plenty of action in this area.

TM

Truck Cruiser October 15th, 2013 03:50 AM

We normally spend around $1000.00 on shore excursions and drinks and pics. I just don't think I could really enjoy myself having to watch every penny!

Moiraine October 15th, 2013 10:09 AM

My favorite thing to do at sea is watching the water go by. That is literally the most relaxing thing in the world for me. All I need is a place to watch.

Snoozeman October 15th, 2013 11:34 AM

It could be done and still have an enjoyable time. I've spent much more and much less on a 7-day cruise. Just depends.

Aerogirl October 15th, 2013 01:57 PM

I could do it.
I'm to a big drinker and there's plenty of stuff to do included in the cruise price.
I think people make due with what they have.

popeyethesailorman October 15th, 2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Truck Cruiser (Post 1486994)
The very first cruise we were on was a Princess cruise over spring break several years ago. We met a college student on the ship who told us that he was only allowing himself 1 beer per day because he only had $50.00 with him to pay for extras.

I just finished reading Kuki's blog on Cruise Budgeting and I am curious to see just how many folks here on cruise mates would go on a cruise if you were limited to say $200.00 to spend above and beyond the cruise fare and auto tips? Could you, as the young man I described above, really enjoy yourself by being so severely limited on funds?

I just got my first cruise under my belt. I made notes from day one as to what to do and what not to do on my next cruise.
I set a limit of $500 for my 7 day cruise.
Just before disembarking I closed out my account and got $305.00 back.
I had 6 or 7 alcoholic drinks on the ship, tipped room service delivery man and my room stewad generously by their standards - not mine. It just depends on his much you plan on boozing it up, how generous you plan your tips to be to the wait staff and your room steward. Shore excursions are another story. I will never make shore excursion reservations again. Just step off the ship in port and you will be offered all kinds of shore excursions. Haggle with them!
If anyone wants my list of things I leaned please let me know.
Jim

Carnival Conquest - October 7 through October 13, 2013 (the first of many!)

seadog2 October 15th, 2013 03:36 PM

I guess if I really buckled down I could do it. The least we have ever spent on a 7 day cruise is $450. We have also spent much more than that on a 7 day cruise. We do watch how much we spend but we also like to have fun too.

thecruisequeen October 15th, 2013 04:47 PM

If I had to then I would.......It can be done....:twisted:

Manuel October 15th, 2013 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecruisequeen (Post 1487133)
If I had to then I would.......It can be done....:twisted:

Of course you would have to cut down on the Grasshoppers. LOL ;)

TM

Mike M October 16th, 2013 05:29 AM

Is that per person and not including standard gratuities?

If it doesn't include those things, I could do it and have a fairly good time.

I've had on board bills anywhere from $50 to $2000. It all depends on the itinerary, ship, OBC and the number of on board alternative restaurants and the "feeling" of the ship. I've never spent more on liquor than on my, four day, Imagination cruise, last January. :) BTW: My wife drank most of it. ;)

I really never "budget" on a cruise but I try to keep it to around $100/day.

If the $200 didn't include gratuities, I think someone could go and have a good time on a seven day cruise for $200.

Take care,
Mike

Manuel October 16th, 2013 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike M (Post 1487172)

If the $200 didn't include gratuities, I think someone could go and have a good time on a seven day cruise for $200.

Take care,
Mike

Someone could go and have a good time.

But If I was limited to $200 for a seven day cruise, I would stay home instead.

TM

Haimia October 16th, 2013 11:02 AM

We can and have probably done that! If gratuities are not included in the $200, most definately. However, we do not impose a limit on ourselves. We usually have one soda card (me) as DH usually drinks water. We may buy a couple of photos (usually not of us, but the ship's pictures of where we have been) and usually have a ship's excursion or two. Sometimes it is just easier to buy a needed item than to try to find it at a port (we have done both). On our last cruise, we probably spent more than we ever have prior (it was a 14-day cruise). However, we had over $3000 of OBC and still received a chunk of change back after the cruise (way over half).

Haoie October 17th, 2013 05:23 AM

$200? I wouldn't spend half of that.

Aerogirl October 18th, 2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manuel (Post 1487174)
Someone could go and have a good time.

But If I was limited to $200 for a seven day cruise, I would stay home instead.

TM

Really????
Where's your sense of adventure TM.

Bruce Chafkin1 November 2nd, 2013 03:08 AM

A shockingly high number of cruise passengers spend far less than $200 onboard a cruise.
And that's why the Mass Market lines are in a panic.
We make no profit selling cruises today.
We only make money when we sell things to you on a cruise.

If you spend nothing - or next to nothing - on a ship, we are forced to get more aggressive with nickel and diming, and raise the selling price of nearly everything to cover the revenue losses we had with you.

We just completed a 59 day cruise around South America.
I identified 83 cabins that spent nothing - not a single penny - onboard my ship over 59 days. How is that even possible?? They all also removed all the auto-tips for the crew.

Many of these people were also the biggest complainers on the ship.
Every time we heard a complaint, we first checked their onboard folio. The numbers on that folio had everything to do with the type of resolution they received for their complaints.

We cannot afford to have those people come back and sail with us again.
Sadly, they probably will be back.

Surfguyxxx1 November 2nd, 2013 05:11 AM

Sad to say but $200 would cover my "martini" portion of the cruise:rolleyes:

Marc November 2nd, 2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Chafkin1 (Post 1488278)

Bruce, seems the wrong time of year to circumnavigate South America; winter to early spring. You have me curious as to which "mass market" cruise line this was.

Marc

Truck Cruiser November 3rd, 2013 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Chafkin1 (Post 1488278)
A shockingly high number of cruise passengers spend far less than $200 onboard a cruise.
And that's why the Mass Market lines are in a panic.
We make no profit selling cruises today.
We only make money when we sell things to you on a cruise.

If you spend nothing - or next to nothing - on a ship, we are forced to get more aggressive with nickel and diming, and raise the selling price of nearly everything to cover the revenue losses we had with you.

I identified 83 cabins that spent nothing - not a single penny - onboard my ship over 59 days. How is that even possible?? They all also removed all the auto-tips for the crew.

Many of these people were also the biggest complainers on the ship.
Every time we heard a complaint, we first checked their onboard folio. The numbers on that folio had everything to do with the type of resolution they received for their complaints.

We cannot afford to have those people come back and sail with us again.
Sadly, they probably will be back.

Truly amazing......59 day cruise and 83 cabins didn't spend a dime??? All I can say is WOW!