Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 15th, 2013, 01:41 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Sneaking Booze onboard - heard a new angle last night

I was at a Christmas party talking to a young couple who took their first Carnival cruise a few months ago.

Not surprisingly, they were amazed at the level of food and service and loved the cruise. But they; along with a few other relatively new to cruising people asked me, "what about the onboard costs, I heard your final bill can be quite a surprise."

Well, its true, cruises are as cheap as ever but drinks are more expensive, and if you dine "out" and take a few tours it will really add up.

So these folks told me "we had some liquor in our suitcase"

"And they didn't find it?" I asked, and they told me...

"well, the guy at the pier who took our bags said 'I know you got liquor in there, everybody does it. For $5 I will be sure that gets on board" So they tipped him and it did get onboard. How? I don't know. They think they saw him put it in a certain line along with other people who also paid the $5 tip.

This was at L.A. pier. This is the first time I have heard this story - anybody else heard about it there or at other ports?

Sponsored Links
Old December 15th, 2013, 03:12 PM
Captain

Seems like the porter just wanted to make some extra nice tips and was able to have their bags skip screening. I would imagine he/she would get fired on the spot when found out.

I have taken to almost always doing b2b cruises and just buy a couple of bottles on the first leg in the ship shop. At the end of the first trip it's delivered to my room and I have all I can drink for the next trip(s). Limit my consumption the first few days and overdo it a bit on the next trip, works great and saves a ton over buying a package. In 4 weeks on board I spent under $50 on liquor but had 3 liters to drink....at the end of the trip I offered all you can drink to the studio cabins to empty my leftovers

11 cruises in 2012, 90 nights at sea visiting 15 countries
8 cruises in 2013, 56 nights at sea visiting 7 countries

Next cruise: None scheduled
PM me if you need a cruisemate for any Europe, transatlantic, or Panama Canal cruises
Date, ship, cost pp
Old December 15th, 2013, 04:12 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Cool idea - Aero. I think the drink packages where you can get liquor delivered to your room are good idea also.

Drinks have gotten pretty expensive - a glass of wine with dinner is going to be $7.50. That is the thing, it adds up quickly.

Old December 15th, 2013, 09:36 PM
Admiral

That porter just wanted to make some extra cash because he just throws the bags in a bin and away it goes. He has absolutely no control whatsoever over the bags after that point irregardless of what he says.

By the way, we just got off a Carnival cruise today and the Rum Runners worked for us!

Pete
47 Cruises & Counting! Favorites: Paul Gauguin to Tahiti: Uniworld River Cruises in Europe; any of the Celebrity Solstice-class ships; Holland America for 12-nights in the Baltics & Russia; RCCL for 14-night Greek Isles, Turkey, & Croatia; Holland America for 14-day Alaska cruisetour; 10-night Canada/New England cruise; 21 days in Hawaii including a 7-night NCL cruise; Oceania for 25 days in Asia; & 3 months touring Europe by train. And many days spent in all-inclusive resorts!
Old December 15th, 2013, 09:44 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post

Drinks have gotten pretty expensive - a glass of wine with dinner is going to be $7.50. That is the thing, it adds up quickly.
A glass of wine with dinner . Not me..

I order a bottle.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old December 16th, 2013, 03:45 PM
Admiral

Nope can't be bothered bringing booze onboard it's a hassle...

I'm on vacation I'll buy booze onboard. Not a bigger drinker anyway so if I'm buying a few drinks a day it's not breaking the bank...

That porter is looking to make some money on the side

CQ's Cruise Resume

Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x2
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old December 16th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
A glass of wine with dinner . Not me..

I order a bottle.

TM
That's right TM that is how to do cruise ship dinner with a bottle of wine NOT a glass!! I love your comment it made me laugh!!

CQ's Cruise Resume

Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x2
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old December 17th, 2013, 12:48 PM
Captain

a 12 pack of coke, a 12 pack of mountain dew...open carefully, remove sodas, add beer, put sodas where the carry handle is, add more beer and hot glue the 12 pack shut, put in suite case, bring rolling cooler with a 12 pack of water in it to keep beverages cold, works every time for me!

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Old December 17th, 2013, 01:25 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Good one Truck... we won't tell the cruise lines to watch for this one. It is a good trick as long as they don't suspect it. I imagine that during peak hours they are more concerned with getting people onboard than catching a few cans of beer.

Old December 18th, 2013, 01:13 AM
Admiral

We just went on the Carnival Glory and in a small suitcase that we carried onboard with us, we had three 6-packs of Sprite and Ginger Ale. The gal at security shook all 18 bottles to make sure there was soda in the them!! I had to laugh at her insistence to find alcohol. But we did use the Rum Runners in our check-in luggage and they worked great!

Pete
47 Cruises & Counting! Favorites: Paul Gauguin to Tahiti: Uniworld River Cruises in Europe; any of the Celebrity Solstice-class ships; Holland America for 12-nights in the Baltics & Russia; RCCL for 14-night Greek Isles, Turkey, & Croatia; Holland America for 14-day Alaska cruisetour; 10-night Canada/New England cruise; 21 days in Hawaii including a 7-night NCL cruise; Oceania for 25 days in Asia; & 3 months touring Europe by train. And many days spent in all-inclusive resorts!
Old December 18th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I hope you didn't try and open one for a while!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old December 18th, 2013, 11:57 AM
Admiral

It was too funny! Especially when she took the obviously sealed bottles of wine and shook them! I guess she wanted to see if they contained alcohol!! But in her haste to shake every bottle of soda, she failed to see the 16 ounce can of beer I had in there. Can't imagine what she would have done if she found that!

Pete
Old December 20th, 2013, 01:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

That's a NEW one to me too. May be an organized deal or maybe the porter knew they weren't screening that day. It would be worth $5 to me, if I knew it would work.

The last 3 B2B's I did they would not deliver the bottles after 1st cruise. Of course you just wait until late on final day and purchase them and take to room.

There is a way to purchase and take away a bottle at anytime on your cruise, but we can't give out all our secrets can we?

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Navigator of the Seas-Caribbean-3/23/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/10/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/18/2014, Carnival Sunshine-Caribbean-5/30/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014