CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   Best & Worst Cruise Lines Based on Traveler Reviews (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/400728-best-worst-cruise-lines-based-traveler-reviews.html)

storybookcruises.com January 23rd, 2014 12:06 AM

Best & Worst Cruise Lines Based on Traveler Reviews

Interesting article about ratings of 4 major cruise lines based on traveler reviews;

Best (and Worst) Cruise Line Based on Traveler Reviews

Pete

Aerogirl January 23rd, 2014 09:53 AM

I can see you scratching you head Pete :p

Moiraine January 23rd, 2014 10:49 AM

I love NCL. I don't care about reviews.

storybookcruises.com January 23rd, 2014 01:48 PM

Yep, definitely scratching my head!!

They were just looking at it from an investment standpoint and putting all the apples in one barrel. They are looking at the cruise line corporation, not the cruise line itself, which is why they're not showing such cruise lines as Holland America or Princess, since they're under Carnival, or Celebrity, since they're under Royal Caribbean, etc.

But traveler reviews are skewed anyway. For example, those who travel Carnival on a regular basis know what they're going to get and when they get it, they're happy. But if someone who travels on Celebrity on a regular basis were to go on Carnival, they're more likely to say how bad it is. So, when you simply look at the overwhelming number of past guests of Carnival traveling on Carnival versus those who are aren't happy with the Carnival experience, the percentages are always going to be lopsided. In other words, by the very nature of the reviews being utilized, the statistics are always going to be convoluted and distorted.

Not trying to pick on Carnival and I may not have stated that very well, but I learned about such things in my theories of probability class in college.

To me, if I were looking to invest in any company, I would consider some of this information, but it would not play an important part in my decision. Past history, growth potential, future investments being made, and many other factors would influence me more than stories like this one.

So you just have to take it for what it's worth; not much.

Pete

Manuel January 23rd, 2014 02:48 PM

I believe that there are a lot more positive than negative about all the main cruise lines.

I have enjoyed all my cruises and I am not basing this on other people's opinions. :)

TM

Aerogirl January 23rd, 2014 05:49 PM

Pete, if I had to choose a cruise right now I would go Royal or Carnival . HAL, princess & Celebrity would be my last choices simply because there's very little going on. As I said before I do want decent food & entertainment but for me having fun at all hours if I choose is more important. Price doesn't effect what I cruise as my budget is very generous for cruising, it's more a time factor for me so if I can go I'm going to have fun not on a ship that rolls up the decks at 10:00

Maybe I'll change my mind in another ten years.....time will tell.
You being a TA you view cruising a little differently. I guess this is why there's choices out there.

storybookcruises.com January 23rd, 2014 06:38 PM

Oh, absolutely!

Thanks the fun thing about cruising - there's something out there for everyone and, as I always say, what one person loves, another will hate.

We really love trying them all because they all have something different to offer recognizing that what we love, as a couple of old farts of 63 & 64, others in their 20's and 30's may find really boring. Then again, we love watching people having fun no matter what age they are.

I can honestly say that we've never been on a bad cruise even though the last one wasn't all that great. But in 47 cruises on 11 different cruise lines, we have enjoyed each one for its own merit.

As for what you're looking for, I agree with your choices, but I think you should add NCL and Princess to your list of those you might want to try because they, too, offer alot of amenities and are very comparable to RCCL and Carnival.

Pete

Aerogirl January 23rd, 2014 09:16 PM

After hearing about you last cruise I will avoid that ship .
As you already know I'm trying to get a cruise booked but finding people to go isn't easy when their limited to what they can spend. I'm trying to avoid Carnival but would do Breeze if it was my only option. I'm hell bent on a Royal cruise just to see how it compares to Carnival ...we did sail Majesty and really didn't like at all but I'm wanting to give it another go on a newer ship....I really want Allure as you already know,I have a few irons in the fire and I will be on a ship next Jan/Feb come hell or high water.
I'll be chatting with you soon Pete.;)

Marc January 23rd, 2014 10:25 PM

We are looking forward to trying Disney. Trying to find time to try it in 2015 with some good friends. Although we don't have kids, we had annual Disney passes the seven years we lived in Orlando; really want to try the ships.

Marc

storybookcruises.com January 24th, 2014 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerogirl (Post 1493726)
After hearing about you last cruise I will avoid that ship .
As you already know I'm trying to get a cruise booked but finding people to go isn't easy when their limited to what they can spend. I'm trying to avoid Carnival but would do Breeze if it was my only option. I'm hell bent on a Royal cruise just to see how it compares to Carnival ...we did sail Majesty and really didn't like at all but I'm wanting to give it another go on a newer ship....I really want Allure as you already know,I have a few irons in the fire and I will be on a ship next Jan/Feb come hell or high water.
I'll be chatting with you soon Pete.;)

In all fairness, the Majesty is a smaller older ship, so it's not a good comparison against other RCCL ships. For example, we really love the Radiance-class ships, but we're not real crazy about the Vision-class. The Oasis-class ships are definitely one-of-a-kind and need to be tried at least once just for the novelty. Can't wait to see the new Quantum of the Seas.

Pete

Aerogirl January 24th, 2014 10:00 AM

I know there's no comparing oasis class to any other ship no matter the line. We sailed Majesty back in 2000 right after we siled Carnival Fantasy so it was a good way to compare the line since the ship were similar.

I will be happy cruising either the oasis or Freedom class of Royal but really want to see Allure like you said just to see? I'm afraid that the Radiance class may be a little to quiet for me and I think I like the idea of the Promaede .

Heck with ths cold weather I'll cruise anything if I could leave right now.

Paul Motter January 24th, 2014 11:13 AM

When you think about it, why shoud a person pay to book a suite on a Carnival or RCL ship where you can get cabins for $700?

It is because they are more fun, of course.

I highly recommend Oasis-class as a very active & fun ship. No comparison to Majesty at all.