CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   Does the bridge have a "glass ceiling" (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/401053-does-bridge-have-glass-ceiling.html)

green_rd February 18th, 2014 07:30 AM

Does the bridge have a "glass ceiling"

I know I have never sailed with a female captain. Are you aware of any cases of female captains or even on the bridge at al? We usually skip the captains receptions so usually only see the crew posters and in cabin newsletters.

Mike M February 18th, 2014 07:41 AM

Therer are a few of them. Royal Caribbean has one or two. Karin Stare Jonson was the Captain of Monarch of the Seas. I think she is now on one of the Freedom class ships.

P&O has Sara Breton and Cunard has Inger Olsen. I also believe Silversea has a female captain in their fleet.

Take care,
Mike

Villager February 18th, 2014 12:39 PM

According to Royal Caribbean they have two female captains, but I am not aware of which ships they are on.

thecruisequeen February 18th, 2014 01:20 PM

Royal's Captain Karin is on Majesty. Oasis and Freedom class have all male captains. The 2nd female captain must be on a Vision, Brilliance or Voyager class ship. Not sure which ship.

Donna February 18th, 2014 03:21 PM

I also remember a female captain once, can't remember her name, but she was just fine as a captain, took awhile to get used to it.

Dave Beers February 18th, 2014 05:31 PM

Lis Lauritzen is in the Captain rotation on Vision Of The Seas.

Bruce Chafkin1 February 20th, 2014 08:37 PM

The journey from Bridge Cadet to Ship Captain is very long, very difficult, and very expensive.
Currently fewer than 1 out of 1,000 cadets can hope to make it to Captain.
How many of those cadets are female?
A very small percentage.

Before getting an assignment as a Bridge Cadet, one must get through the maritime schools. These are expensive and difficult.

A successful Cadet, once hired, can expect to take many years to work his / her way up through the ranks.

When he/she finally reaches Captain, there are bigger challenges than a glass ceiling.
A cruise ship captain earns less than 50% of what a tugboat captain makes.

A commercial Captain (freighter, tanker, fishing boat, oil rig) earns 4 times what a cruise ship captain makes and does not have to put up with crazy passengers or crew, Norwalk virus, US Public Health, or entering / leaving port 5 days out of 7.

Haoie March 5th, 2014 03:14 AM

When you hear the word captain, people tend to think of an old guy with a beard. And they'd be right.

thecruisequeen March 5th, 2014 05:00 AM

Not all captains are the old guy with a beard. In addition to female captains there are younger captains also Captain Loy on Explorer and Captain Patrick on Oasis. I think they are both in their 30's.