Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 18th, 2014, 08:07 PM
Admiral

Default Women Attacked on HAL by crew member

Holland America Line Cruise Ship Worker Sexually Assaulted Woman in Room: FBI Officials | NBC 6 South Florida

Need some cruise help?
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Sponsored Links
Old February 19th, 2014, 03:46 AM
Administrator
Admiral

This is bad for the cruise industry and Holland America. I am appalled by this and the steward should be prosecuted to the full extent. Safety is one of the greatest concerns for passengers, especially single women and if that feeling of safety is lessened then the cruise industry will be in big trouble.

The steward's "reasoning" (of which there is none) about he and his family being offended by "Son of a b****" is ridiculous. I can see the the woman getting out of bed, stumbling around and letting the expletive slip out. I know I have uttered an expletive in similar situations but it was probably another one.

I also admire the woman for defending herself. I hope she stuck the corkscrew somewhere he'll never forget.

I wish the best for the woman and the worst for the steward.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 19th, 2014, 10:48 AM
Captain

Ditto Mike.
Inspiration -09/05
Mariner-05/06 & 10/09
Century-01/07
Crown-04/07
Liberty-11/07
Explorer-08/08
Insignia-11/08
Destiny-07/09
Oasis Inaugural Cruise-12/09
Monarch-03/10 & 07/10
Equinox-08/10
Freedom-02/2012
Mariner; RSS- 10/12
Jewel-12/12 b2b
Independence-12/13
Enchantment- 01/14
Legend-TA- 04/14
Freedom OTS-10/14

Booked:Solstice Alaska; 09/15

Last edited by Surfguyxxx1; February 19th, 2014 at 10:48 AM. Reason: not very appropriate
Old February 19th, 2014, 12:09 PM
Admiral

I was incredulous when I read about this crime yesterday. My initial thought about the SOB comment was she probably stubbed a toe or something like that jumping out of bed to get to the door (I am guilty of using the f-bomb in those situations), but even if she was yelling at the room service steward - he got so outraged as to do what he has admitted doing?

Plus, of all the major cruise lines, HAL has the reputation for being the most sedate. They will not easily repair the public image damage done by this, and of course it is already being used with a broad brush to smear all cruise lines.

The woman was indeed brave and she'd likely be dead if she had not fought back.

Here's hoping the little SOB has a very long and not-so-fun time in either the federal or Florida prison system.
Old February 19th, 2014, 05:58 PM
First Mate

Unfortunate that this will probably scare off some inexperienced cruisers who don't understand how rare this incident is. I can only recall hearing about one other incident involving a crew member. Kind of like getting bitten by a shark and struck by lightening on the same day.

If I were traveling solo this incident would not deter me, but it does give pause for thought. A little unsettling to think that someone can enter with a master key during the night.

I understand the need for stewards to have them in order to enter for housekeeping purposes while we are out, but maybe those master keys need to be turned over to a Housekeeping supervisor once turndown is completed and returned to the stewards the following morning.
Old February 20th, 2014, 12:24 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

It is a sad story, especially as it is portrayed in this article (with details I did not know). Originally I had heard it was a nude cruise and he had first seen the woman up on deck - and all I heard was that he tried to rape her but was stopped.

All of the details about choking and trying to (obviously) kill her are new today.

I agree about the room card, in fact, I thought only room stewards had them and only for their own block of cabins certainly the technology is out there to manage these cards better.
Old February 20th, 2014, 12:38 PM
Admiral

In a FL paper article it said he came into her room in the middle of the night raping , choking and punching her, these are her words. She said at one point she passed out but woke up and fought back. I believe he admitted he planned to throw her off the balcony to hide the crime.

Need some cruise help?
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old February 20th, 2014, 03:49 PM
Admiral

Bad situation all around. I also heard that this was a "bare necessities" cruise. The thought of a nude cruise raises questions in my mind. My first thought is a situation like this one. How do you know if people can control themselves. Sounds risky. There may be litigation.
Old February 20th, 2014, 04:59 PM
Admiral

This is a sad story...almost sounds like a seen from a horror movie.

I had read he was delivering room service to her cabin and he kept knocking on the door finally she said "wait son of a b****" and went to the door. He got pissed off that she offended him and his mother and later that night went up on deck looking for her. When he could not find her went to her cabin and waited for her on her balcony. When she got back to her cabin that is when the violence started.

I'm glad she was able to get away and get help...He could have easily killed her.

How can a Cabin Steward have access to the cabins 24/7??? They should turn in the master key or not have access to it off duty hours.

Rape is not about lust and sex it a crime of violence, power and aggression.
As far as it being a nude cruise has nothing to do with the crime.

I hope the girl fully recovers from this ordeal and the SON OF A B**** rots in jail.

And after hearing about this story another story was on the news last night about a nursing home employee in his late 30's raping a 64 year old patient with dementia. He was caught in the act. What a scary world we live in.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old February 20th, 2014, 07:34 PM
Admiral

I know for a fact that systems exist where keycards can be programmed to allow access selectively - for a one-time entry, or X number of entries, or for a defined time period. However those card readers all were connected to a central security computer. I'm not sure if the door locks on cruise ships are connected to a centralized access control system. I think they are standalone card readers.

But do we know whether the crew routinely maintains possession of their keycards for cabins? I think some are assuming that is the case, and it may be so, but then it is possible that some cruise lines have more rigorous controls and require the cards to be checked out and returned to a supervisor when a work shift is done. If an emergent call to a cabin is needed during the night, then the steward would have to check out a keycard and thus someone else would know where that steward was heading.

It's kind of unsettling to realize a few hundred crew could be in their quarters with master keycards hanging off the bed railings uncontrolled. How easy is it for someone not authorized to steal a card from a sleeping cabin steward?