CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   Last Minute Cruise attempt (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/401151-last-minute-cruise-attempt.html)

CabinFeverBuck February 26th, 2014 09:37 AM

Last Minute Cruise attempt

Good morning on this very frigid day in Michigan. For what seems like the 14th month in a row, it is single digits with another foot of snow projected tomorrow! So, I am knee jerking to the weather and forecast and asking myself, is it possible to get my wife, infant and me on a cruise. So, I would like to hear some feedback from anyone who has experience with the questions below. Thanks in advance for your counsel and Happy Sailing!

*Note, we have only recently took our first cruise two years ago. It was really great. Now, we have a one year old (that's not why the cruise was great for those of you thinking that) So, I have concerns about traveling with an infant.

1) I have access to family right near Port Canaveral. We could easily get to the docks if needed. How do I know if there is space available? How do I plan to do this last minute effort? I can be completely ready with regards to luggage and necessities. But, it is really a scenario wherein you walk up, ask if there are open cabins, get an incredible rate and then get on board? My issue here is that I do not have a huge vacation fund to use.

2) Are there many issues in traveling with an infant? Do I need to ask special questions?

thanks again! Rob

Paul Motter February 27th, 2014 01:06 PM

Quote:

1) I have access to family right near Port Canaveral. We could easily get to the docks if needed. How do I know if there is space available? How do I plan to do this last minute effort? I can be completely ready with regards to luggage and necessities. But, it is really a scenario wherein you walk up, ask if there are open cabins, get an incredible rate and then get on board? My issue here is that I do not have a huge vacation fund to use.
I would definitely BOOK the the cruise before I left town. You might find some last minute cruise bargains for next week for example, but do ALL of the price checking before you leave.

1) Cruise lines generally need at least 48 hours notice because they submit their manifests to US agencies.

2) You want to know how much that last-minute airfare is going to set you back

also) check weather conditions and watch out for airport closures, a delay could ruin your whole vaca....

Quote:

2) Are there many issues in traveling with an infant? Do I need to ask special questions?
None other than the usual - most major cruise lines now offer babysitting for babies 6-months or older. You need to bring your own formula, but you can probably buy diapers on board (not cheap, though). Some cruise lines even deliver them now - go to the web sites of each cruise line and search for "infants"

AF1 March 8th, 2014 11:03 AM

Please don't show up at cruise terminal and try to book a last minute cruise. Unlike the airlines where you can book a flight for the same day; cruise lines need to submit the manifests to port agencies; sort of like airlines submitting their passenger manifest to TSA. I believe Paul mentioned this same info above.

storybookcruises.com March 8th, 2014 03:59 PM

Use to be we could book a cruise last minute - can't do that anymore. TSA has new regulations and, if I remember right, there is a 48 hour cutoff for booking now.

As for what's available, call your agent and let them do the work for you. They can check all the cruise lines and give you cabins and prices.

Pete