Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 22nd, 2014, 09:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Do we really need libraries on ships anymore

Most people today have iPads, kindles, and other type tablets. These tablets are filled with books, movies, tv shows. So do we need the library on some ships? I could see putting a Starbucks or some type coffee bar. We don't need another regular bar. What do my fellow cruisemates think? Any suggestions on what could replace libraries on the different ships. I know Disney doesn't have a library on their ships, but RCI and NCL do. Let's here from you

[url=http://www.cruisingtalk.com]
Next Up NCL Jade
Sponsored Links
Old April 22nd, 2014, 09:25 PM
Captain

On many ships the libraries have special books that deal with the itinerary the ship is doing(travel books about alaska on alaska trips). That can be interesting to read if you didn't bring any along. That said I wish it was better stocked. Subscription to 20 popular magazines, or getting 5 newspapers in each port of call. Wouldn't cost much...

Also some cups, and a pot of coffee & hot water for tea. Celebrity has a drink station in several of the ships I've been on. Morning cup of joe, grab a pastry and book. It seems popular if they do it right.

BOOKED: Holland Oosterdam May 25; 7N ship, 4N Anchorage, 6N Denali, 5N Denver
11 cruises in 2012, 90 nights at sea visiting 15 countries
8 cruises in 2013, 56 nights at sea visiting 7 countries
Old April 22nd, 2014, 09:36 PM
Admiral

The libraries on Celebrity are quite nice and many people do enjoy them.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old April 22nd, 2014, 09:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

The library for many is a sanctuary amid the hubub.The real estate for them has gotten smaller over the years,and although the popularity of technology rages on, there are people who have no desire to read anything but a paper book.

Since the space is small and usually out of the way, I say, leave it be.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 23rd, 2014, 04:03 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Yes, there are still a lot of people that read only "real" books, so I say, leave them be too...

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 23rd, 2014, 08:25 AM
Admiral

Even with real books I have always brought my own. Maybe if I ever and fortunate enough to take an extended voyage. I think I have only been in a ship's library to enter a contest.

While land based libraries still have a large number of volumes they have exchanged/added space for technology and other media. Most ships have added technology clusters in other areas of the ship.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old April 23rd, 2014, 12:09 PM
Admiral

Yes there is a need for libraries on ships. Growing up in the age where the only thing we had was books it's a little hard to incorporate technology into old thinking. I have an ipad, notebook, laptop but there is no greater satisfaction than sitting down in the solitude of a library with a good old fashion hardback or paperback book. Yes and even on a cruise ship.
Old April 23rd, 2014, 11:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I am still not convinced the libraries are needed. Trip mentioned they are getting smaller. Disney ships don't have them. I don't see not booking a Disney cruise because people want a
Library. I know that comment is a little sarcastic. But really. People still carry paper books on ships knowing ships have libraries. Disney is a leader in innovation. I go back to my last statement in my original thread. Put a upscale coffee shop like Starbucks on land. If u want to read or work on laptop you can. Oh well. Take care and have a great day.

Next Up NCL Jade
Old April 24th, 2014, 06:57 AM
Admiral

But most ships already have froo froo coffee already don't they. You haven't added anything.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old April 24th, 2014, 08:58 AM
Captain

Some libraries are also card rooms where folks can play cards and boards games. We use these areas quite a bit on cruises!

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Carnival Splendor Feb 15
Old April 24th, 2014, 12:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

It is true, a lot of people use iPads or e readers of some type on cruises instead of books, I have an iPad myself, with lots of books, but it is totally impossible to see the screen in bright sunlight. So, I can see where a library might come in handy to pick up something you can actually see by the pool. The libraries on NCL are pretty tiny, especially on the newer ships. I think they have games as well. I think now they even offer downloads of books to your device as well as actual books. NCL already has coffee bars. I say leave it as is. We are not talking about a huge amount of space that would be freed up.
Old April 24th, 2014, 06:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

I know there are coffee bars on some ships. I was thinking the space could be or should be used for other things. Again, if Disney feels they aren't needed, maybe someday other cruise lines may follow; or maybe not. That's all. Now go out and enjoy your day. Cheers

Next Up NCL Jade
Old April 24th, 2014, 07:56 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Where would the people, who complain about the people who sleep in lounge chairs, by the pool, sleep?

I've seen many a sleeping person in the ship's libraries. The most was on Statendam. It was sort of creepy.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 25th, 2014, 09:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Now that's funny Mike

Next Up NCL Jade
Old April 28th, 2014, 02:00 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I checked out a couple of books on Carnival Breeze and enjoyed reading them. It was nice to do something on a ship I would never do at home - actually enjoy a real-world book.
Old April 29th, 2014, 09:36 AM
Cruise Maniac

ok everyone. As i close this discussion topic, we will agree for now; to keep the libraries open on cruise ships. But I have to go on record, if you see my onboard I will not be in any of the libraries. You will find me running around the ship; I may have my iPad with me; but it's only because I have all my cruise info stored on it.

Next Up NCL Jade
Old April 29th, 2014, 11:38 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyK View Post
ok everyone. As i close this discussion topic, we will agree for now; to keep the libraries open on cruise ships. But I have to go on record, if you see my onboard I will not be in any of the libraries. You will find me running around the ship; I may have my iPad with me; but it's only because I have all my cruise info stored on it.
Timmy, I'm sure the cruise industry will be relieved to hear we have all agreed to keep the libraries open for now.

I wish we could actually institute changes that easily! But just curious, if you could repurpose the space, what do you think would be the ideal use of the space? I can come up with nothing except yet another bar, and surely there are enough of those! Maybe I just have no imagination!
Old April 29th, 2014, 07:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

Travelbuggs, I have several ideas; for those ships that don't offer a premium coffee bar; i.e.. Allure and Oasis of the Seas have Starbucks; I would add something like that. For ships that already have a premium coffee bar, then maybe a bake shop that has pies, cakes, cupcakes, or an old fashioned ice cream parlor. These are but a few of my ideas; I can list more, but for now that's all I have. Safe travels where you may go.

Next Up NCL Jade