Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 1st, 2014, 09:52 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default WiFi Booster for onboad

Hi, after reading several cruise line websites and the speed of the internet, does anyone know if I can bring a wifi signal booster like a airport utility from Apple? If so, has anyone done this before to boost the signal or speed onboard?

[url=http://www.cruisingtalk.com]
Next Up NCL Jade
Sponsored Links
Old May 1st, 2014, 10:18 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Tim,

The problem with the speed is not in the speed of the wifi on board the ship. The speed problem comes from the speed of the satellite connection. There is just so much bandwidth available. Quite often it is no more than 128kbps or 256kbps. Some newer ships have more bandwidth available.

The wifi booster may give you a better signal in areas of low wifi reception but they aren't really going to speed up the upload and download.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 1st, 2014, 12:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

I know that bandwidth is a problem; when I travel and stay in hotels I know that sometimes the airport utility booster can help. I've stayed in hotels with large amount of rooms; and they have repeaters in the hotels. I wonder if the cruise ships would put repeaters around the ship like large hotels do. Oh well

Next Up NCL Jade
Old May 1st, 2014, 12:47 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyK View Post
I know that bandwidth is a problem; when I travel and stay in hotels I know that sometimes the airport utility booster can help. I've stayed in hotels with large amount of rooms; and they have repeaters in the hotels. I wonder if the cruise ships would put repeaters around the ship like large hotels do. Oh well
TimmyK,

A repeater is a requirement for wifi on ships. The steel superstructure is a signal killer and the number of repeaters on board is far more than you would find in a land structure of that size.

The main reason that "some" ships do not have in cabin wifi is because they have not installed the wifi repeaters into the passenger areas.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 1st, 2014, 07:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Got it, thanks

Next Up NCL Jade
Old May 7th, 2014, 01:47 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

By the way - Royal Caribbean is testing super high-speed Internet on Oasis & Allure right now, and they say it is faster than most people's home connections. They believe people will be able to even stream movies and use Skype on it.

http://www.o3bnetworks.com/media-cen...nternet-access
Old May 8th, 2014, 10:19 AM
Cruise Maniac

Paul, thanks for this article. I do hope in the next three to five years all major cruise lines add hi speed internet. If you want to say in cabin and want to stream a movie that would be added fun; also for those who post pictures of their cruise vacations they will be able to post a lot more pictures quicker.

Next Up NCL Jade
Old May 9th, 2014, 02:12 AM
Admiral

A cruise ship will usually have multiple access points you can connect to. Some will be better than others for various reasons. If you had a way to select which access point to connect to and a way to boost the signal into your cabin, you could be ahead of the game.

The access point you connect to can make a huge difference in throughput in my experience.

Some experimentation might be needs, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the same SSID on different channels and some will be better than others.
Old May 9th, 2014, 06:51 AM
Cruise Maniac

I will try and figure a way to boost the signal and get faster speed. The article Paul mentioned is pretty good. If the airlines can get decent wifi and the planes are traveling at 500mph; surely cruise ships going 30mph can get fast wifi.

Next Up NCL Jade