Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 19th, 2014, 05:25 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default What was your biggest travel Boo-Boo?

Mine would be showing up at a hotel in Boston sure I had reservations for that weekend, only to find out I had made them for the following weekend. Thank Goodness they were able to not only find us a room, but to get it for us at the same rate I had paid online (through a web site).

Kind of amazing really, considering we were "stuck" and they could have gouged us if they wanted.

Just to give them a little kudo, I will mention their name and highly recommend them: Downtown Boston Hotels | Millennium Bostonian Hotel Boston | Hotels in Boston Massachusetts

Not only was it a great hotel, but it was directly across the street from Faneuil Hall - so you could not ask for a better location.

What was YOUR biggest travel error ever - and how did it turn out?
Sponsored Links
Old May 19th, 2014, 07:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

While I think more on it, the one that first came to mind, was also about a hotel..We booked the Bahia Cabana Hotel on A1A, in Lauderale, many years ago. We opened the door, turned around and walked back to the desk, and checked out. Eased on down the road, to book another....lost the first night, but, worth every penny to do so.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 19th, 2014, 07:24 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Just to be clear - thank you Linda - but I am hoping to hear stories of mistakes PEOPLE made when trying to book travel.

Things like forgetting to pack something. Leaving your passport in your check-on luggage, booking the wrong airport for a cruise out of Miami/Ft Lauderdale ( I did this one time, and I am not sure exactly why I did it) - I booked a Miami flight way in advance, perhaps thinking I had time to get to FT Lauderdale for the cruise - but I couldn't remember if I thought I had a reason, or just made a mistake.

Maybe at the time I booked it Miami was so much cheaper than Ft Lauderdale that the cab cost was justified? But when I went to check my flight later, and saw Miami when the ship was leaving from FT Laud. Then I check Ft Laud prices and saw they were cheaper, I honestly didn't know what had happened.
Old May 19th, 2014, 07:27 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default By the way

Along your lines, Linda.... I onec booked a SoBe Hotel on Expedia that came up as a "recommended hotel"

It was AWFUL and not even that cheap. It was dirty, didn't even have working phones (and I needed AOL for dial-up). I could not get my master key to work.

Eventually I just walked out and down the street and booked a different room. Expedia did give me a full refund however. But I did try to call them first and back then their customer service closed down at night (not any more, I don't think).
Old May 20th, 2014, 06:52 AM
Admiral

When we went to Venice we bought a three day vaparhetto pass. We knew that we were supposed to put it in the machine before boarding. So, every time we boarded we stopped at the machine and punched our cards obliterating the date-time stamp. Finally one day a worker asked to see our passes which now just had a big black smear in the middle. She asked use when we bought and made new stamped cards and told us to leave the stamps alone.

All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by; John Masefield
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old May 20th, 2014, 08:11 AM
Administrator
Admiral

My biggest travel mistake was booking air for cruise. I booked with the local, hometown, discount airline. A week or two before the cruise I received an email from the airline of a "Change in Flight".

I looked at the email and saw that the flight was one hour later than I had booked. I just thought: "OK. No problem.". What I didn't pay attention to was that they had also changed the airport from Miami to Fort Lauderdale. It wasn't until the last sea day on the cruise that I caught my mistake. At least I caught it before we got to off the ship. This mistake cost me $80/with tip for a cab to Fort Lauderdale.

Airlines are good at keeping you informed in changes to your itinerary. Sometimes they go overboard and send you a "Critical Travel Change" notification if the flight time changes by five minutes. It is sort of the the "Little Boy Who Cried Wolf" scenario. You sort of ignore them. Since my "wrong airport" mistake I look all notifications over very carefully.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 20th, 2014, 08:24 AM
Admiral

Two occasions come to mind where I should have perhaps paid a little more attention to my packing. The first wasn't too bad as it was in a hotel, but after travelling all day only to find the only underpants you have are the ones you are wearing make you glad that you packed swimming trunks as well. Luckily the rooms were warm so with some hand washing the underpants were ready for me to wear to the clothes shop the next day

The second was on a cruise where we were getting all done up ready for the first formal, only to find I hadn't packed any cuff-links. I spent the formal nights sporting a classy pair of solid silver (looking) paper-clips which were found on our boarding paperwork

I am sure there are more, but I am scared to think of them

Alan
and : Queen Victoria January 2016

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Britannia, Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(6), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva, Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam, Aza.Journey
Old May 20th, 2014, 11:51 AM
First Mate

This happened to my good friend; we took a group cruise on Allure of the Seas right after it went in service. We had 16 in our group. Ten of us flew in a day ahead; we were at Marriott FLL. The other six were coming in on Sunday (cruise day). I was in my friends room and I pulled out my passport. As soon as I did his face turned ash. Oh dear I left my passport in my office back home in Cincinnati. He gets on phone; calls one of the other cruisers and tells them to stop by his house; he gives them the key code to the garage and they bring his passport. This guy was a world traveler who went overseas like every other week; oh well.

My wife's Retirement Cruise!
Old May 20th, 2014, 01:09 PM
Administrator
Admiral

One time, back when I first met my original partner for CruiseMates, Anne Campbell (God bless her, I hope she is doing well), we were planning on taking a very nice European cruise.

We were going to catch a cab to Kennedy airport and get there well ahead of time. We were leaving from her apartment on 86th street and Columbus (upper west side).

As we got in the elevator I realized I did not have my passport. OMG!!!!!

I had to run to the subway station and make a change in Time Square to get back to the East Village (6th & 2nd Ave) to grab my passport and then do it all in reverse. Of course I contemplated taking a cab, but in most cases the subway is faster, depending on how the trains go. If you catch one you can save 15 minutes, but if you barely miss it the next one can be 15 minutes.

I remember I barely missed the express train at Time Square, but that would have only taken me to 14th st anyway, I need to get to 8th. I would have had to wait for the local at 14th st. Fortunately the local came 5 minutes later and took me to 8th st (but with stops along the way). The ride back was even faster. We made it.

When we got to thew airport, Anne accidentally left a carry on bag at the security area. It had her meds. She said "I can't go - no way" We were dejected, looked around but could not find it. Just after we decided to go home and were heading out the door a TSA worker came up and told us they had it, and gave it back to us.

My cousin-in-law went on a cruise with us and brought the wrong kind of birth certificate. Fortunately, he was able to get a certified one faxed to the ship in time. I don't think that would work these days, but it did back then.

I remember one Carnival cruise (1996) where I told them (truthfully) I had left my passport in my checked luggage, and they just said "well, if you're lying and don't have a passport when you get off its your problem, not ours."

THAT would never fly anymore.
Old May 20th, 2014, 01:16 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I once forgot to pack dress socks and a necktie. I borrowed both, and the supplier did not want the socks back.

I have also lost luggage once and had to wash my undies every day (until I realized I could just buy some more).

One time I overslept in Seville and missed a flight to Madrid that was going to take me all the way back to the U.S. - I caught a later flight and actually spent a wonderful day & night in Madrid I never would have seen any other way (not many cruise ships go there). I had to pay a change fee, or else I might have had to buy a whole new ticket back to the US (don't recall).
Old May 20th, 2014, 03:13 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyK View Post
This happened to my good friend; we took a group cruise on Allure of the Seas right after it went in service. We had 16 in our group. Ten of us flew in a day ahead; we were at Marriott FLL. The other six were coming in on Sunday (cruise day). I was in my friends room and I pulled out my passport. As soon as I did his face turned ash. Oh dear I left my passport in my office back home in Cincinnati. He gets on phone; calls one of the other cruisers and tells them to stop by his house; he gives them the key code to the garage and they bring his passport. This guy was a world traveler who went overseas like every other week; oh well.
The guy was very lucky he still had time for his friends to get the passport.

These days a person will LOSE A CRUISE if they are not fully documented when the ship is boarding.
Old May 21st, 2014, 08:52 AM
Admiral

I took a road trip to visit my grandparents, 3/4 of the way there I realized I had forgotten my hanging bag with just about all my clothes. Back then I ironed just about everything including tee shirts so pretty much a weeks worth of clothes were in the bag.
Once there I stopped and picked up a few items but was not a happy girl.

ALLURE, 2/21/16 *Last Gang Cruise*
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Sweet Escape BVI Charter 2015
Old May 21st, 2014, 01:59 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I just came back from a trip where I left my "bathroom" hanging kit behind - all my travel deodorant, plus special backup tools (that were not cheap) like tweezers, nail clippers, tiny hair clippers, talc, razors, ..... all of it, and the bag, has to be replaced.

I also especially hate it when you realize you have left a power supply for a laptop or camera behind, because those can be expensive to replace, especially if you only need it for a week, but you NEED it. I now have two extra laptop power supplies here at home, an extra camera charger, and a few cellphone chargers.
Old May 21st, 2014, 02:57 PM
Admiral

Default Air travel on first day of sequestering

Worst air trip I took was a flight from the East Coast to California. Flew out of East Coast city to Chicago at about 9am. No problem. Got to Chicago at about 11 am. Problems started in Chicago because the controllers were being furloughed. Finally, got to Los Angeles in the morning and was able to catch the ship.

Now sitting in an airport is no big deal for me, but what was frustrating for me was running from one airline ticket counter to another all day long only to be frustrated by the response that the airplane had been cancelled. This occured several times during the day and I was running back and forth between airlines to find an available flight.

Never again will I travel when the political party in power is trying to prove a point at the public and my expense.

PS I did have travel insurance which made my running around a little more bearable.
Old May 21st, 2014, 03:19 PM
First Mate

I travel for a living so spend a lot of nights in foreign countries; cities, and hotels. I have forgotten or left just about every imaginable item and had to get them fedex, or Ups to my home. I carry converters and still leave them in wall sockets when I'm overseas.

Old May 21st, 2014, 04:44 PM
Admiral

Default Free dinner only compensation from airline

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnyprincecharlie View Post
Worst air trip I took was a flight from the East Coast to California. Flew out of East Coast city to Chicago at about 9am. No problem. Got to Chicago at about 11 am. Problems started in Chicago because the controllers were being furloughed. Finally, got to Los Angeles in the morning and was able to catch the ship.

Now sitting in an airport is no big deal for me, but what was frustrating for me was running from one airline ticket counter to another all day long only to be frustrated by the response that the airplane had been cancelled. This occured several times during the day and I was running back and forth between airlines to find an available flight.

Never again will I travel when the political party in power is trying to prove a point at the public and my expense.

PS I did have travel insurance which made my running around a little more bearable.
PSS The airline did give a free dinner voucher.
Old May 22nd, 2014, 01:11 PM
First Mate

The mistake I will try NEVER to repeat is booking an air ticket with a plane change at Charles De Gaulle in Paris. Does anything ever go through there on time?

The first occasion wasn't too bad, since I was on my way back home from a cruise and the fact that they had about 20 of us who did not make the connection for a Boston flight only meant that they put us up overnight, with meals provided, and got us on a flight the next morning. They didn't let us have our checked luggage, though.

The second time I was supposed to have a direct flight, Boston to Rome, but about a month before the trip that flight was cancelled and they re-routed me through C de G. There seemed to be plenty of layover time, though, and anything else they offered would have required two stops. Unfortunately there was a 2.5 hour flight delay. I still would have made the connection if I hadn't been required to go through both Customs and Security between flights, as well as run at least a half-mile between gates. That time they put me on another flight that afternoon, and there would not have been any significant problem if they hadn't lost my luggage in the process. REALLY lost; I never did get it back.
Old May 22nd, 2014, 06:06 PM
First Mate

I agree with above post. CDG airport is worse for connections than JFK.

Old May 23rd, 2014, 05:55 AM
Admiral

Default Getting in a day ahead of cruise is sometimes not enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnyprincecharlie View Post
PSS The airline did give a free dinner voucher.
Lesson learned concerning my bad air trip was that I would try to get into port city as in advance as I can manage.
Old May 27th, 2014, 07:01 AM
Admiral

I used the alarm on my cell phone to wake up for an early-ish excursion. As we came into port the phone acquired local cell signal resetting my clock to local time an hour later than ship time. Fortunately we had pre-ordered breakfast, so we did make our excursion on time.

Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Old June 21st, 2014, 08:30 AM
Admiral

Had a doh moment on a plane last week. My wife needed to go to the back of the plane. I put my half cup of soda between my legs and began to raise my tray table. You know what happened next ... Yup, I dumped about half that soda into my lap. At least it wasn't hot coffee and I had a pair if slacks in my carry on to put on in the airport. I'm not agile enough to try to change in an airplane bathroom.

Old July 14th, 2014, 06:33 AM
Welcome Newcomer

This was back when online deals etc were fairly new, to us anyway. We made it to our Miami hotel a full day before or cruise. But we left our hotel confirmation paperwork at home in Texas. The staff was nice and let us use their computer to search for the number. All I could get to was the office number of Kayak Customer Service. I called but got no answer. My husband kept searching online, through our messy email inbox while I kept calling. Finally! I got through! Seems I was calling England. And with the time change, everyone had gone home! But the Rep had forgotten something at the office and returned to fetch it. He said he wasn't going to pick up the phone at first but fortunately for us, he then decided to. He was very helpful in getting the numbers we needed.

We were so exhausted from the stress, we went to the restaurant next door for Happy Hour where we proceeded to leave our credit card behind! We didn't find it until we checked in fur or cruise. It happened to be the credit card we used to book the cruise! RC was very accommodating and let us use another card for our OBC. We spentthe next hour in the ship's dining room calling to cancel out other credit card.

Then my husband's bag was not delivered to the room and we had to go search for it. By the time we relaxed with a couple or 5 drinks, we sailed away on what wad to be one of our most memorable cruises ever!
Old July 14th, 2014, 01:57 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Thanks Cherlydoo - I am loving your posts - very funny.