CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   All Things Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/)
-   -   Exchange rate (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/all-things-cruising/402430-exchange-rate.html)

Dhill June 1st, 2014 04:51 PM

Exchange rate
 
We just booked a motel room in Vancouver Canada for the end of are cruise in May.The web site stated that you pay the motel rate in Canadian currency.How does that work if I use my credit card?:confused:

Dave Beers June 1st, 2014 05:25 PM

My understanding is whatever the exchange rate is on the date a charge is posted to your account is what you will be charged in U.S. dollars (or whatever your national currency is). Depending on the credit card they might have an exchange fee too. For example, if the hotel charges your card $100 Canadian and on that date $100 Canadian is $90 U.S., then your statement will show $90. (plus any exchange fee)

Dhill June 1st, 2014 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Beers (Post 1501392)
My understanding is whatever the exchange rate is on the date a charge is posted to your account is what you will be charged in U.S. dollars (or whatever your national currency is). Depending on the credit card they might have an exchange fee too. For example, if the hotel charges your card $100 Canadian and on that date $100 Canadian is $90 U.S., then your statement will show $90. (plus any exchange fee)

Thanks for the info. Exchange fee boy they sure try to get you coming and going:shock:

Manuel June 1st, 2014 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dhill (Post 1501400)
Thanks for the info. Exchange fee boy they sure try to get you coming and going:shock:


Handling money is a big responsibility and there are costs involved. When we exchange currencies we have to pay for that service.
It's just part of the cost of international travel.


TM

TimmyK June 2nd, 2014 10:00 AM

american express and capital one credit cards do not have exchange fees. whatever you pay is the price on your card.

canuckity June 9th, 2014 08:08 PM

I know that if you use your VISA card internationally then VISA International tacks on a percentage as well.

BernieG June 10th, 2014 12:38 PM

most cards I have tack on 2.5% for "foreign exchange fee"

TimmyK June 10th, 2014 01:03 PM

BernieG, Capitalone MasterCard does not add inter'l fees

BernieG June 10th, 2014 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimmyK (Post 1502009)
BernieG, Capitalone MasterCard does not add inter'l fees

Yeah, my Spouse has the Capital One card.

winner June 10th, 2014 07:57 PM

Visa no longer charges conversion fees.

TimmyK June 11th, 2014 11:33 AM

As of 1May American Express stopped charging intl conversion rates

Manuel June 12th, 2014 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimmyK (Post 1502062)
As of 1May American Express stopped charging intl conversion rates


That is why I never leave home without it.


TM

Mike M June 12th, 2014 10:02 AM

Only Amex Platinum and Centurion (Black) cards do not charge a foreign transaction fee. The Gold and Green Amex cards do.

Most Capital One cards do not charge a foreign transaction fee. The Chase Sapphire Preferred card does not charge.

I also heard that the Discover IT card does not but can't find anything to back that up.

Take care,
Mike


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1