Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 21st, 2014, 06:24 PM
Admiral

Default What was the smartest thing you ever did while traveling

I figure that with all the negative things we can complain about on trips. What would be the smartest thing you have ever done.
This is going to be tough for people to answer because we are so tied into negativity in this world. Figuring out what ws the smartest thing is tough because everytime we cruise we have to do a lot of smart things so it is tough to figure out which one would be the top of the list. I always put a trip to Quebec in Canada as one of my smartest things because I learned a lot about the country and saw a museum exhibit about plastic surgery which I know that I wouldn't have seen in the United States.
Sponsored Links
Old June 21st, 2014, 07:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Always do your homework before even deciding on a cruise, ship, ports, price, etc. After many cruises, you also learn how to pack accordingly, as light as possible and lighter if the ship you are on, has a self service laundry. Not crazy about doing laundry while on a cruise, but just one load half way through saves a ton of packing and returning home with luggage with just dirty clothes. I've learned to take at least 20 single bills along with some fives for tips along the way...

I think most of us, learn along the way and just know ahead of time, what shore excursions you will be doing, etc...

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 23rd, 2014, 12:18 PM
First Mate

One of the smartest things was booking my first cruise in 1997; it opened up the possibilities of seeing the world one port at a time.

12 days until I leave for my two week Retirement Cruise
Old June 23rd, 2014, 12:30 PM
First Mate

Private shore excursions on our first med. cruise comes to mind.

Booking Solstice Honolulu to Ensenada for a great deal and then she changed itinerary to end in Vancouver and we got the drink package. Price had doubled by the time we sailed.

Lots and lots of research
Old June 23rd, 2014, 01:34 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

On a visit to Israel most ships spend one day in Ashdod and the other in Tel Aviv (I think) - anyway, the big attraction in Jerusalem, so the best idea was to book a hotel in Jerusalem so we didn't have to drive from the ship each day. We left the ship and went to the Dead Sea, Sea of Galilee, etc, and then on to Jerusalem, spent the whole next day seeing the city and finally went to the ship that night - saw so much - unbelievable.
Old June 23rd, 2014, 04:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

Location: Indiana in the middle of a farmer's former cornfield.

One of the smartest thing we've done while traveling was visiting the WWII Museum in New Orleans prior to a cruise. It still amazes us what the greatest generation was able to accomplish. Our fathers and mothers were a part of it all and they seldom discussed it.

Keith & Rita Ann

Fast dancing is the second best form of exercise,
slow dancing leads to the first!
Old June 23rd, 2014, 10:19 PM
Welcome Newcomer

The smartest thing we did was to split up and do different excursions than that of our cruise mates. We had different interests. We loved the outdoors and they love museums. Even on the ship we did a lot of different things separately. But we always seemed to manage to meet up for breakfast and lunch. But boy oh boy! The conversation at the dinner table was exciting as we all shared our adventures of the day! And the pictures we shared with each other and the video we made couldn't have been more complete!

Need some cruise help?

Last edited by cheryldoo; June 23rd, 2014 at 11:52 PM. Reason: add count down clock
Old June 24th, 2014, 06:46 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmithcci View Post
One of the smartest thing we've done while traveling was visiting the WWII Museum in New Orleans prior to a cruise. It still amazes us what the greatest generation was able to accomplish. Our fathers and mothers were a part of it all and they seldom discussed it.
Everytime I visit anything related to WWII or Korea; it brings tears to my eyes. They gave it all for us.

12 days until I leave for my two week Retirement Cruise
Old June 24th, 2014, 02:16 PM
Captain

Booked a trip to the Med and the cruise line changed the itinerary about 6 weeks before to not visit Israel. Called them up, canceled, and booked myself on the same trip 3 weeks earlier which was to be the last voyage there. Took some extra work to change some of the pre-planning but it was AMAZING and really glad I did.

BOOKED: Holland Oosterdam May 25; 7N ship, 4N Anchorage, 6N Denali, 5N Denver
11 cruises in 2012, 90 nights at sea visiting 15 countries
8 cruises in 2013, 56 nights at sea visiting 7 countries
Old June 24th, 2014, 03:07 PM
Administrator
Admiral

We skipped Orlando and went to the Kennedy Space Center in Port Canaveral. That is an AMAZING tour - one of the best I ever.
Old June 25th, 2014, 05:07 AM
Admiral

Default WWII Museum and cruise great idea. Now on my bucket list

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmithcci View Post
Your comment stimulated my mind about a bucket list item, the New Orleans WWII Museum combined with a cruise. I checked out the Museum on Memorial Day and they had an agenda which was memorable. Combining the visit with a cruise is a great idea.
Old June 25th, 2014, 08:59 AM
Cruise Maniac

Location: Indiana in the middle of a farmer's former cornfield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnyprincecharlie View Post
Your comment stimulated my mind about a bucket list item, the New Orleans WWII Museum combined with a cruise. I checked out the Museum on Memorial Day and they had an agenda which was memorable. Combining the visit with a cruise is a great idea.
We have another cruise booked from NOLA for Sept 7 on the Carnival Dream and we have a B2B booked on the Serenade of the Seas for New Year. It's a very nice port to cruise from and we can drive there in about 10 hours. If you do book a cruise from New Orleans and go to the WWII Museum be sure to attend 'Beyond All Boundaries', a 4-D show on a 120 foot wide screen. Tom Hanks is the Executive Producer. It is spectacular!

Keith & Rita Ann

Fast dancing is the second best form of exercise,
slow dancing leads to the first!
Old June 25th, 2014, 09:32 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
We skipped Orlando and went to the Kennedy Space Center in Port Canaveral. That is an AMAZING tour - one of the best I ever.

I love the Kennedy Space Center as well. Next month we will be taking some guests to see it.
Since will live just a little north of there we love to take the opportunity to show it to people who have never been.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13
Vision OTS 2-14-2015

Booked Allure of the Seas... 2 / 21 / 16 *Last Gang Cruise*
Booked Celebrity Equinox ... 4 / 4 / 16
Old June 25th, 2014, 12:57 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Manuel - it is SO refreshing and nice to get a positive note from you instead of yet another reason to criticize me. I'm touched
Old June 29th, 2014, 01:05 PM
Captain

Smile

I think one of the smartest things I did while traveling was to invite my wife to come along
Old July 25th, 2014, 03:44 AM
Welcome Newcomer

One of the smartest things I've done was getting on a cruise with my uncle which eventually led me to have the interest of cruising
Old September 7th, 2014, 02:58 PM
Familiar Face

Getting passports first. Always having insurance second.

RCI Adventure 10/2017
RCI Grandeur 8/2016

RCI Freedom 4/2015
RCI Grandeur 5/2014
RCI Jewel 5/2013
RCI Serenade 7/2011
RCI Enchantment 5/2010
RCI Grandeur 5/2009
RCI Independence 1/2009
RCI Explorer 1/2007