Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 23rd, 2014, 02:09 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default What has changed most about cruising in the last five years?

To me 2008 was a pivotal year in cruising - it was the first year all the new generations of ships were introduced (and the two tears that followed):
  • Oasis of the Seas
  • Norwegian Epic
  • Celebrity Solstice
  • Disney Dream
  • Carnival Dream/Breeze
  • Holland America Eurodam
  • Seabourn Odyssey
  • Silversea Silver Whisper
  • Oceania Marina

So - what do you think are the biggest changes in cruise ships in the last five years - including these ships?

THEN - what about the last two years? What do see as a contrast between the newest ships, and the ones I just mentioned. The newest ships (including some announced but not out yet?):
  • Royal Princess
  • Norwegian Breakaway (and Breakaway-plus)
  • Quantum of the Seas
  • Carnival Vista
Sponsored Links
Old June 24th, 2014, 11:19 AM
Admiral

They all became the largest ships in their respective cruise line (I think you meant Silver Spirit) and added more dining choices as the cruise lines began in earnest to move away from traditional dining as the featured meal of the evening. Entertainment also moved forward in most cases, with more innovative shows and technology. But with the added number of passengers per ship, I think there has also been an increase in the anonymity of the passengers. Both groups of ships have made it easier to go on a cruise and not meet anybody new.

There is also a sweet spot in ship size and passenger loading among the mainstream lines listed, which Norwegian Epic first introduced and then the others have more or less followed with the four ships in the second list. This is not favorable in my view, since they are pretty dense ships with lots of people and less open deck space and smaller public rooms.

Within the past few months I've cruised on both the Royal Princess and the Norwegian Getaway and found both to have a similar feel to them. Cluttered is a good word for it. I liked Getaway a lot more though, simply because the crew was more engaging and fun, and the entertainment was on a clearly higher level.