Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 23rd, 2014, 06:10 AM
Captain

Default Some ideas to get through TSA check

How To... Fly Through Airport Security Somewhat dated advice from March 2008 magazine but good stuff
You might as well check your dignity curbside. Soon you'll be shoeless and flustered, spilling comics across the floor as you dig your MacBook from the depths of your duffel. But take a deep breath, frequent fliers: It is possible to pass security with your ego intact. Here's how. mathew honan
1} DO RECON ONLINE. Security delays vary widely by concourse and terminal. Go to tsa.gov to find average wait times. If you're not checking bags, print your boarding pass at home and head to the fastest line. (Be sure your gate is accessible from that security checkpoint.)
2} CARRY A MESSENGER BAG. The topside flap gives easy access to your laptop and Ziploc of liquids and gels while the pockets provide plenty of storage for alarm-trippers. As soon as you get in line, tuck your belt, wallet, keys, watch, and phone into the sack.
3} WEAR LACELESS SHOES. And holeless socks. Just think of all the foot fungi of travelers past. Or don't.
4} GO! After you pass ID screening, make a beeline to the shortest x-ray queue. Don't wait to be directed, and don't hesitate to bypass dawdlers. Not fungi of travelers past. Or don't. only will you get there faster, you'll keep the whole line moving.
S) USE ONLY TWO BINS. Place shoes, coat, and toiletries in the : :
6) DRESS STRATEGICALLY. Don your coat first bin; laptop in the second; followed by the messenger bag. Keep and shoes while waiting for your bags. Put on the roller on the floor, where it's easy to manage, until the last minute, your belt and watch at the gate.
Sponsored Links
Old July 23rd, 2014, 10:31 AM
Admiral

I'm one of the few people who seem not to find the whole process stressful.
I know people who get almost combative over it and it's stupid and makes it stressful on themselves.
I alway find it funny how people still haven't learned the process even though they've traveled many times before. What don't you get about taking your shoe, belt and jacket off? No you can't bring you bottled water or that big bottle of lotion through security. As far as the people scanner goes if people get off looking at it party on my friend
The process is usually fast and painless and if it's the worst part of my day I'm doing pretty good......deal with it or don't fly is my opinion.

Before the people scanner I always set off the metal detector and had to be patted down.....too much metal in the bra holding up the girls . TMI

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old July 23rd, 2014, 02:16 PM
Captain

Default Taking your belt off may result in your pants falling down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogirl View Post
I'm one of the few people who seem not to find the whole process stressful.
I know people who get almost combative over it and it's stupid and makes it stressful on themselves.
I alway find it funny how people still haven't learned the process even though they've traveled many times before. What don't you get about taking your shoe, belt and jacket off? No you can't bring you bottled water or that big bottle of lotion through security. As far as the people scanner goes if people get off looking at it party on my friend
The process is usually fast and painless and if it's the worst part of my day I'm doing pretty good......deal with it or don't fly is my opinion.

Before the people scanner I always set off the metal detector and had to be patted down.....too much metal in the bra holding up the girls . TMI
You're right that the TSA line check should not be a hassle, but you apparently have never encountered a situation where your pants are loose and removing the belt results in droppy pants which you have to hold up while you struggle to the next station.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 03:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Those were some really great tips...It always amazes me when people get up to the scanner and aren't ready to get their stuff in there, just takes more time...Thanks again...

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 23rd, 2014, 03:21 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnyprincecharlie View Post
You're right that the TSA line check should not be a hassle, but you apparently have never encountered a situation where your pants are loose and removing the belt results in droppy pants which you have to hold up while you struggle to the next station.
Ok but if you know this already wear a pair that won't fall if you take off the belt...no?

I'm one of those people who is thinking three steps ahead when doing things...not sure if that good or a bad think

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014

Last edited by Aerogirl; July 23rd, 2014 at 03:25 PM. Reason: I pad went crazy with the spell check
Old July 23rd, 2014, 04:13 PM
Admiral

Good tips never the less , thanks for sharing

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old July 23rd, 2014, 06:34 PM
Admiral

I wear the same items every time I fly. Collared cotton shirt, blue jeans (stiff enough that they don't fall down sans belt, and also a good choice for safety reasons, just in case), pair of Life Walker running shoes with velcro straps instead of laces. Good foot protection and still easy to get on and off.

I also stop before I get to the TSA area and put the watch, cellphone, change, and any other items from pockets in my carry-on so I am not fumbling around with it at the x-ray conveyer belt. I also place my 311 bag so I can grab it immediately. Thus I walk up to the TSA checkpoint, shoes off, belt off, 311 bag out, all in one bin, and I'm ready for the scanner. Takes me 15 seconds.

Since last fall I've been given TSA pre-check status every time I fly with Delta so it's actually been a true breeze lately. But I fly again Friday morning at 5:30 am and I suspect Huntsville won't have the pre-check lane open that early. It'll be the only flight leaving at that hour, and probably just annoys everyone that they have to get to work at the airport that early.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 06:38 PM
Admiral

Dave .....I too wear the same clothing when I fly, in fact I'm almost in need of a new pair of flying pants.

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old July 24th, 2014, 06:40 AM
Captain

There is a much easier solution that works for me all the time.
I refuse to fly to the USA.
No TSA.
Problem solved.
Old July 24th, 2014, 10:28 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Beers View Post

Since last fall I've been given TSA pre-check status every time I fly with Delta so it's actually been a true breeze lately. But I fly again Friday morning at 5:30 am and I suspect Huntsville won't have the pre-check lane open that early. It'll be the only flight leaving at that hour, and probably just annoys everyone that they have to get to work at the airport that early.

Dave, I did not know it was possible to be "pre-screened" without going through an application process. The first time it happened for us, the ID check guy looked at our documentation and then said "oh, you are pre-screened". We said, "huh?". We were directed to that line and it was a breeze. No taking off jackets, shoes, etc. We were mystified how it happened. When it happened the second time, I finally noticed that it was printed on our boarding passes which we printed out at home, and we knew from then on when we could head for the pre screen line. Am hoping this holds true for our flights in August.

So, check those boarding passes for the Pre Screened indication.