Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 13th, 2014, 11:27 AM
Admiral

Default Paul Motter do you bring musical instrument on cruises

Paul Motter has advised cruisemates about the electrical equipment he brings on cruises and since he is a self-confessed musician, I was wondering if he brings a musical instrument with him on cruises or does he borrow instruments from crew members? Does he have any suggestions for cruisemates about musical instruments, types and sizes.
Sponsored Links
Old August 13th, 2014, 04:12 PM
Admiral

You know, I was recently wondering which axe Paul planned to bring when we both cruise on Quantum Of The Seas in January. I know he was always a Les Paul man but I've seen promo photos of his band recently where he is holding a Paul Reed Smith.
Old August 14th, 2014, 08:05 AM
Admiral

This could be an interesting blog post; Simple Rules for Vacationing Musicians.

When I read John Heald's blog there seemed a steady stream of performers and parents just knowing others passengers would want to hear them or there progeny. Often they would let John know there exact "requirements." For the most part I feel like when you are on vacation you are on vacation and performing is work. Granted there are plenty of aspiring karaoke superstars out there but they don't seem to demand much of the cruise lines.

All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by; John Masefield
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old August 14th, 2014, 10:07 AM
Admiral

I think that for a short period of time a few years back, Carnival listed personal musical instruments among the banned items. Their policy now says they are allowed but if anyone complains about noise (and perhaps horrible playing) security will confiscate them and return them when the cruise ends.

My understanding is that most cruise lines frown on people playing their own instruments in public areas just because it can be disruptive.
Old August 15th, 2014, 05:59 AM
Admiral

I still want to know what instrument Paul will bring/play when he cruises. Maybe he could have a jam session with other talented cruisemates.
Old August 15th, 2014, 12:29 PM
Admiral

I've cruised with Paul a few times and I've never seen him bring a guitar nor ask to borrow one.
Old August 15th, 2014, 03:17 PM
Admiral

Thank you for information.
Old August 19th, 2014, 12:39 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Good Question (sorry, I had a BAD computer crash over the weekend)...

I have often looked at travel guitars - but I have yet to find one I think it made right and right priced to bother taking on the road.

When it comes to instruments onboard - you can be sure most onboard musicians do NOT care to let you borrow anything of theirs, they need to keep them working for their jobs. I am sure some have "extras but space is limited, so they cannot bring that much.

Interestingly- Norwegian Epic was supposed to have a program where they would rent guitars and small practice amps made by Gibson onboard. This was all arranged just before Epic came out - but the deal never materialized.

It turned out that with a month or two Gibson had about $100k worth of wood seized from their factpry because it had (supposedly) been worked on illegally by Indian workers who were not licensed to work on that material. (this is all documented).

Now - just a few weeks previously the CEO of Gibson had been an outspoken critic of Obamacare and other trade policies. This wood was seized and never given back, and the stated reason was because Gibson had violated a law of "India" (not the U.S.) - it was a federal action by the ATF - which I did not know was created to enforce the laws of India, rather than the U.S. (no domestic laws were broken - and even more incredible, India had never filed a complaint asking the US to intervene - this was all Eric Holder).

Anyway - the deal on Epic never materialized, and I am guessing there would be too much hassle in getting the instruments inspected every time they were brought into the US (at the end of every cruise).

Yes, it is just stupidly ridiculous that our ATF would hassle companies like Gibson - but you don't get away with criticizing this Prez, however this prez does get away with gestapo like tactics on us citizens once in awhile.

So - mostly all I have is a laprop with a lot of my favorite songs and a small self-powered speaker that will play them loud enough for me to hear them in the room. That way I can practice songs "mentally" without having to actually play anything. That is good enough for me.

There are luggage size guitars (mostly electric) - but I don't find the quality to be good enough to make them worthwhile.
Old August 21st, 2014, 10:38 AM
Admiral

Default Your comment about Gibson triggers memory

I was responsible for a competition and the prize was a Gibson banjo. I didn't know it until a banjo enthusiast told me that the Gibson banjos had to be ordered early because they were in high demand. I got the Gibson banjo in plenty of time and the winner of the contest "Ms Plunk" was very pleased.

I was made aware of the ways the different countries use restrictions against other country's products when I had to review some export regulations. There was a common restriction against a certain wood from a certain country that kept popping up in these regulations. The story you wrote about makes me believe that something like this could be reality.

I saw the story on TV about Holder and his meeting with people in Ferguson and his talking about his encounters with the police and I start to wonder if the details of this story will come out.
Old August 21st, 2014, 01:32 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I do not mean to introduce politics into this section of the forums - but what happened to Gibson is a true story.

Gibson Guitar's Settles Exotic Wood Violation With Federal Government

It ended up costing Gibson $600,000 and they were never charged with anything, but they decided it made more sense to pay up than to try to fight the government with its unlimited resources.
Old August 22nd, 2014, 05:56 AM
Admiral

Default Thanks for interesting sidelight story. Glad to see Gibson survives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
I do not mean to introduce politics into this section of the forums - but what happened to Gibson is a true story.

Gibson Guitar's Settles Exotic Wood Violation With Federal Government

It ended up costing Gibson $600,000 and they were never charged with anything, but they decided it made more sense to pay up than to try to fight the government with its unlimited resources.
Glad to hear interesting side stories that are prompted by a main subject.
I had one that I will bring up on a separate subject about speakers on cruises that stand out in your mind. Mine was a woman who spoke on astronomy; she made a spicy presentation on a rather dull subject.