CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   American Queen Steamboat Company (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/american-queen-steamboat-company/)
-   -   I love Delta Queen! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/american-queen-steamboat-company/213736-i-love-delta-queen.html)

Paul Motter August 18th, 2000 11:32 PM

I love Delta Queen!

Delta Queen is a great change of pace. You sit out on deck and watch the lazy river go by. Get a taste of southern cooking and hospitality, and end up in New Orleans for great food and jazz! O took my mom, she had the time of her life.

http://12.129.101.60/forum/attachmen...ta_queen/1.jpg

Paul Motter August 20th, 2000 01:44 PM

RE: I love Delta Queen!

http://www.cruisemates.com/images/deltaqueen.jpg

Tim Rubacky August 26th, 2000 11:00 AM

Paul,

As I was putting together our reference guides for the AMCV brands this week, I was truly surprised to learn that Delta Queen has been voted near the top of the heap for entertainment for several years running in Conde Nast's annual survery.

They need to get the word out that DQ isn't just for your grandparents anymore!

Tim Rubacky
Consumer Affairs Editor

Paul Motter September 7th, 2000 07:56 PM

The entertainment is great because it isn't your usual song and dance psuedo-Vegas stuff like the regular cruise ships. They get real New Orleans jazz people like Pete Fountain. Its nice the see "real" talent on a cruise ship - not some packaged rehashing of the songs you've been trying to forget for most of your life.

Master Hi March 4th, 2005 07:28 PM

Re: I love Delta Queen!

Whats Delta Queen?

Ann Cox March 29th, 2005 08:07 PM

Re: I love Delta Queen!

"What's Delta Queen" - surely you jest.

One cruise and the initials DQ take on a whole new meaning - no longer do they refer to Dairy Queen for us!

johnthed0g February 5th, 2011 05:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I think we went on Delta Queen in Nola, it was that or Natchez & we weren't on Natchez

Paul Motter March 5th, 2011 12:04 PM

Well, the pictures say Natchez, but I don't think that is the Delta Queen.

I actually have a pretty strong personal tie to the Delta Queen since the father of a good friend of mine was instrumental in "saving" the DQ.

The Delta Queen used to go up and down the Mississippi but it couldn't cover a lot of ground. I think it probably stopped in Natchez when you sailed out from New Orleans.

msld1950 March 26th, 2011 02:54 PM

hi it is my dream to ride the Delta Queen!! back many years ago she used to go all the way to Pittsburg up the ohio river.. we used to boat on this river and whne that grad lady went by and the (SP) caliopy would start ""oh man "" did it make my heard beat faster.. i even would water ski in her wake.. i said then one day i would ride that lady.. now i am retired and that is on my bucket list.. thank you for bringing up very good memories.. lynn

Paul Motter April 5th, 2011 06:34 PM

I don't know if Delta Queen (herself) will ever be back - but there are other, newer river boats that should be back in the Mississippi within a year or so.

mariuskyu November 17th, 2011 03:25 PM

Queen of the Mississippi Will be launched on August 11, 2012, from what I heard. It is suppose to somehow like those old-fashioned riverboats from 19th century. It would be cool to see how people in 1800s were cruising on the Mississippi.....:rolleyes:

Queen of the Mississippi Riverboat

johnthed0g November 17th, 2011 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Motter (Post 1357278)
Well, the pictures say Natchez, but I don't think that is the Delta Queen.

I actually have a pretty strong personal tie to the Delta Queen since the father of a good friend of mine was instrumental in "saving" the DQ.

The Delta Queen used to go up and down the Mississippi but it couldn't cover a lot of ground. I think it probably stopped in Natchez when you sailed out from New Orleans.

I posted the pics just for an example, we had two choices of ship, we didn't go on Natchez so it must have been Delta Queen. I wasn't well having just had 'flu (swine flu I reckon) & regret not paying more attention & not realising the history of the riverboat.

Kevin123 December 1st, 2011 06:38 AM

Yes I agreed Delta Queen is one of the best

johnthed0g December 1st, 2011 07:05 AM

If I ever did this again I would forget the jazz "dinner cruise" & go in daylight, more to see, at night we could have been anywhere.

travelagent December 5th, 2011 02:29 PM

why everyone like Delta queen?what is the best thing you see in this and then you started like ?

momofmeg January 3rd, 2012 01:02 PM

Paul, we got up to Chattanooga and spent the night on her. We had the Robert E. Lee room. Even though the toilet sprayed when flushing and the heat was a little warm, we loved it. That toilet had one of those high tanks and we also had a clawfoot tub!

The engineer on board said they expect it to be bought soon and she will be on the rivers again in 3 to 5 years.

We also met Joyce the chef-she has been on board for 12 years. she stayed on board when it became a hotel and she hopes to be on when she cruises again.

I found through a google search that the Delta King, her sister ship, is a hotel in Sacramento. I hope I can stay there some day also.

kalam12er March 5th, 2013 11:18 AM

I so wish I could write an exemplary review of this hotel but, alas I cannot. The experience of staying on a riverboat in a beautifully restored room was fantastic and we loved that part of it.

momofmeg March 22nd, 2013 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalam12er (Post 1466378)
I so wish I could write an exemplary review of this hotel but, alas I cannot. The experience of staying on a riverboat in a beautifully restored room was fantastic and we loved that part of it.

Yes it was more for nostagila than luxury I hear you. we were forunate enough that we got one of their better rooms-there was a sale going on.