Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > American Queen Steamboat Company
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 5th, 2001, 04:45 PM
Admiral

Default URGING CAUTION

Travel Guard, a major travel insurance company, has announced that it will no longer cover passengers booking American Classic Voyages ships, including United States Lines, American Hawaii Crises, Delta Queen Steamboat Company and Delta Queen Coastal Voyages. Travel Safe, another third party insurance company, will not cover loss of cruise due to cruise line default.

In light of the company's financial situation, CruiseMates urges travelers to only book an American Classic Voyages cruise when a third party insurance company, such as TravelEx, will insure against default.
Sponsored Links
Old October 5th, 2001, 05:10 PM
D P Taylor

Default Re: URGING CAUTION

Does anybody know what happened at AMCV today? The stock was down 37% and now this warning. I've got 3 cabins reserved on the AQ for the 12/7 NO-NO trip and I'm wordering if I'm going!!
Old October 5th, 2001, 10:23 PM
BillB

I'm booked on the 27 Oct Cape May Light Cruise out of Norfold...Just got my AMEX bill with the charges...should I pay it...will they be operating on the 27 of this month....If I cancel now I would lose all my money and if they go out of business before will I be able to get my money back.
Old October 6th, 2001, 09:31 AM
Admiral

Bill,

My uneducated guess would be to buy Travelex insurance quickly. Buying now would cover default but not preexisting medical conditions.

You don't have much choice about paying your credit card bill. Unless they do not sail your sailing - you can not contest the charge.

I have 2 friends who are sailing two of these ships in the next 2 months.

Theresa
Old October 6th, 2001, 10:59 AM
susancruzs

I booked the American Queen recently for Spring 2002, I think I will cancel and wait to see if things settle down a little. I booked early because they have single cabins but not too many.
Old October 9th, 2001, 10:44 AM
Admiral

While I don't know what will happen to this company, this is the course of action I'd personally take.
Old October 9th, 2001, 10:47 AM
Admiral

Amex has protected the passengers who were affected by the bankrupcy of Renaissance Cruises. So, if something does happen -- none of us know for sure -- you stand a good chance of still being protected.

However, two large third party insurance companies (Travel Guard and Travel Access) have said they won't insure anyone making a booking from this point on.
Old October 9th, 2001, 11:23 AM
BillB

Thanks Anne, you make me feel a lot better...leaving the 27th of this month. Will keep my fingers crossed.
Old October 10th, 2001, 09:45 PM
BillB

Default Re: Delta Coastal Cruises Tipping Suggestions

I received my documentts today for my upcoming cruise on the Cape May Light and it was suggested that a tip of $15.00 per person per day for room stewart and waiting staff. This seems hight to me...I have been on many major cruise lines and this amount seems to be double of that suggested by them. Any comments on this matter?
Old October 15th, 2001, 04:11 PM
Jim Thornton

When we asked (in May 2001) about their high tipping suggestion of $15.00 per person per day, we were told aboard ship (the Cape May Light) that the $15.00 was a typo and that they suggested we use the usual tipping amounts.
Old February 15th, 2002, 04:42 AM
Service Person

Ok Just a note that may help some people with their "Tip Suggestion" questions. I have been in the food and beverage industry for close to a decade now. From all aspects ranging from entry level to upper management.
All I will say on the "Tip Suggestion" thing is put yourself in your server, bus person, cocktailer, bartenders or stewards position. They are there to provide you with a service and all they ask in return for countless hours of attention, being on their feet constantly, running from one end of the place to the other for some minute thing that hopefully will make that person happy but normally does not, dealing with fussy people that expect everything to be lined in gold (when it's not) and 9 times out of 10 receiving a paycheck that has "VOID" in the amount line "i.e. pay rates for this industry equal out to about $3.00 an hour" (even less if you are on a cruise ship) and for those people working on board a cruise line I must say I feel sorry for them in a way. Reason being they basicly give up their life to serve you and try their best to make you happy, and all they expect or ask for is a little respect, a polite word maybe and that all important tip (which is the staple of our income)
So next time you find yourself in a position to question a recommened tip amount, just think about the hours those people put in and everything they must deal with before you decide to tip less than the recommened amount. Ask yourself this, when you make a slight mistake at your job, how would you like your client or boss to deduct a percentage of your salary from your pay check?
Don't like that idea, do you? Then be consederate, Cause beleive me if you tip poorly, you will be remembered the next time you walk through the door of that bar, restaurant or cruise ship. Also, another thing to watch, the people getting the service that you feel you deserve or demand are the ones that "tip the recommened amount" even more when the person goes that extra step and out of their way to do something. Also another note when you see the tip has already been added to whatever check you get. Remember 15% is .15 cents on the dollar. The industry standard in the United States today is between 18% - 20%. So if 15% is already added don't complain, your getting off cheap. Wouldn't hurt to add a little extra "if the service warrants it".
Don't get me wrong, I do not in anyway condone bad service. Tip whatever you feel is appropriate. But if you want your next visit to that place to be enjoyable and if the service was good. Then tip based on that.
One more thing, If your "Food" is not to your liking. The server didnt order it for you, you did. The server didn't cook it, the cooks did. It's not the server's fault if it's under or over cooked, but they will do whatever they can to fix it. So be polite and you'll get what you want alot easier.