Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > American Queen Steamboat Company
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 22nd, 2003, 07:25 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default great website for Delta Queen

One of my best friends from high school, Nori, has a very special connection to the Delta Queen. Her father, Bill Muster, helped get the ship its historical landmark status from Congress.

Here is Nori's website dedicated to the Delta Queen:

steamboats.com

Post Edited (08-22-03 19:28)

Sponsored Links
Old September 14th, 2003, 09:28 PM
Dave Hunter

Default Re: great website for Delta Queen

About 95% sure of cruising New Orleans to New Orleans (on MQ) in Feb. Could you please provide some idea of the time for embarkarking/disembarking ?

thx for your help
Old September 15th, 2003, 05:39 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: great website for Delta Queen

Dave, make that 100% and become addicted to steamboats!! Our first trip was last March on the Delta Queen Spring Pilgrimage and it looks as if thats the one you're taking. Some great plantation and Cajun shore excursions. The boats usually embark at 7:00PM, you can board in late morning but rooms aren't available until after 3:00. There is a nice buffet lunch for those boarding early. Most people wear the same clothes they travel in that first night to dinner.as long as its not shorts and tees.
We were back in NO early morning and they encourage people to leave by 9:00 so that they can get ready for the next influx of passengers. Arrange your own shuttle or taxi to and from airport - Delta Queens shuttle is more expensive.
More questions? Post them here, I love to talk about those wonderful steamboats.
The Mississippi Queen is beautiful and you're gonna love it!! Have a great trip.
Old September 19th, 2003, 11:33 AM
Beginner

Hello,

My husband and I will be celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary aboard the American Queen on the Memphis - New Orleans trip in November. This is our first cruise of any kind, and the posts in this forum have been very helpful.

I do have a couple of questions, though. First, when do you book the shore excursions? Once on board or in advance? My TA told us we'd get details with our documents about two weeks prior to departure, but I was wondering if specific tour information is available sooner. Also, are jeans appropriate in the dining room on nights other than formal dinners?

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old September 19th, 2003, 01:11 PM
Passenger

Hi, Stephanie - Although we haven't been on the American Queen we've been on both her sisters and can guarantee you'll love it.. The lower Mississippi isn't particularly scenic but the shore excursion are good. Your TA is right, the documents, including shore trip options will arrive about 2-3 weeks prior. Their website, www.deltaqueen.com has a ports of call button and when you click on that there is a map. Click on the proper river and section and then you should be able to click on the towns along the way to show the possible shore excursions. I'm having trouble getting them to come up so they may be adjusting them. I do know they've changed some of the options as questionnaire suggestions come in. You'll purchase these after you board. On both our trips there was a general get together the first morning when they'd be discussed but if you know ahead of time you can buy them from the shore tour director at any time. Ask him or her how many towns provide a shuttle - it's a good buy and you can use it whenever available. if you decide not to do a guided tour. You'll probably want to see Oak Alley (it's as pretty as the pictures), the Cajun experience in Baton Rouge was fun. We skipped the swamp tour at Oak Alley and heard people say it was a longish bus trip for what they saw. There are some beautiful homes in Natchez but don't know how many will be open to the public. You may want to just take the shuttle through town and decide on a carriage ride on your own or a little walking tour. One of the shuttle stops is the welcome center with lots of choices.
Much as I love jeans myself, I didn't wear them in the evening at dinner. A pair of black slacks with different tops worked very well. Will admit though there were a few who did.wear jeans but it's an elegant boat with an elegant dining room, and I felt it deserved a little nicer outfit.
What a great way to celebrate your anniversary. Have a wonderful time and if you have any more questions just ask here or email me. Part of the fun of traveling is the planning and anticipation. Another part is reliving it as I'm doing right now!!
Old September 19th, 2003, 04:17 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Re: great website for Delta Queen

Hi Ginger,

Thanks for your great response! We're really looking forward to this trip!!
Old September 27th, 2003, 05:47 PM
Yeoman

im just wondering if any seasoned cruisers found the queen to be very expensive compared to other cruise lines. i have checked out the tours out of st.louis for 2004 and cannot get a tour for under $3000. i want a cabin to myself but i refuse to pay that much for the trip when i live on the mississippi. i would appriciate any replys that wil give some insight on the cost of your trip or who your ta was or is. thanks.
Old September 28th, 2003, 01:35 PM
Passenger

Dusty, we were able to take advantage of their two for one rate in March and then cruised the upper Mississippi from St. Louis on the Mississippi Queen in July when they were offering the $99.00 p/p per night. Otherwise we couldn't have justified the cost, but there are two of us.
The American Queen has a few single rooms available at the double occupancy rate but I believe they'll be based and sailing out of New Orleans next summer as part of a city/steamboat combo.
Here's a travel agent who specializes in the steamboat industry and as a matter of fact was an entertainer on the Delta Queen a few years back. She's been having continuing discussions with the company about single rates. If anyone can help you she can.
Phyllis Dale
1-800-678-7174-00
phyllis@phyllisdale.com

and check out her website at phyllisdaletravel.com

Hope you can work out something as it's a great experience. Good luck

Ginger
Old September 28th, 2003, 01:43 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Re: great website for Delta Queen

ginger

i was at a site for the river boats when i got your email. you must have esp. thank you so much. i am so glad you got such a great deal. and it sounds like you had a wonderful time on the boat. i live on the mississippi and see the queen and delta boats all the time going up or down the river and have dreamed about being on one for many years now. i would love to experience the paddleboat cruise trip. i have been on trips that last a few hours and they are wonderful. i am in driving distance of st.louis and hannibal but i still want to take this trip. i will check out the ta you gave me and try to work something out.

thanks again. and yes, the mississippi is muddy and kind of dirty but the small quaint towns you pass and visit will make the trip worthwhile.

dusty
Old October 7th, 2003, 09:43 PM
susancruzs

I just booked the American Queen for April, 4 days and the price calling them direct was around $500 for the single cabin. I checked the prices on the internet and they gave me the same. I think they will have the American Queen on the 3 or 4 day run for awhile. I really wanted to do the 6 or 7, but the air from Illinois to Memphis and home from NO was insane so I'll do a 4 day sampler.

Ever since I saw all three together in Cincinnati at the Steamboat Festival, I've been wanting to do this. Had the Amer. Queen booked when they took her out so I'll try again!

Looking forward to it!

Susie
Old November 11th, 2003, 10:11 AM
Kathleen Osmon

I was looking for a nice 3-day cruise from somewhere I hadn't been before over next Memorial Day weekend, and thought about the cruise on the steamboats, so went in and found out that the American Queen had single rooms and did a lovely cruise from New Orleans. I called Delta and the gal gave me that wonderful $450 rate for the single room for the cruise only and I am so jazzed. I have been on 7 cruises from Alaska to Australia, but never thought I could afford to do the Mississippi River for less than several thousand bucks - your comments have made this more exciting to me than ever. If this turns out to be as great as I think it will be, this will be just the first of many, I hope. Anyone else taking this cruise?
Old December 16th, 2004, 08:33 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to DPMinc
Default Great Website for American Queen

Go to www.uncruise.com

That is the website for the AQ cruises out of New Orleans.

Paul

Norwegian Dream, Sun, Spirit
Royal Caribbean Grandeur/Sea