Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Asia
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 18th, 2001, 07:00 AM
Admiral

Default Yangtze River Cruise

If you're thinking of taking a Yangtze River Cruise, feel free to e-mail me. I took a ten-day itinerary, and it was the toughest, most uncomfortable experience of my life!
Sponsored Links
Old February 5th, 2001, 04:44 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Yangtze River Cruise

We were thinking of a cruise with UniGlobe on the Y.R. but I've read some other reports and they were also disappointed. What other type of trip would you suggest to the Orient? We've always wanted to go there and thought a cruise would be the best way. We can also obtain a timeshare throughout Asia for a week or two. Any tips on cruise vs. flying and stay? Areas that are better than others? Places to avoid? Thanks for your help!!
Old February 14th, 2001, 09:07 PM
First Mate

IN1999 SPENT 4 DAYS IN SINGAPORE,1 WEEK CRUISE ON STAR CRUISE LINE,&5 DAYS IN THAILAND..THAILAND WAS HIGHLIGHT OF TRIP...SINGAPORE ALSO GOOD...STAR CRUIE LINE WAS PRETTY DISAPOINTNG..GOOD PORTS,BUT SHIP NOT UP TO STANDARDS AMERICANS EXPECT.. E MAIL ME IF YOU WANT MORE SPECIFICS &HELP
Old March 2nd, 2001, 10:00 AM
Lila Lidsky

Default Tour guides in Southeast Asia

We are seeking tour guides at port stops on a cruise in Kuantan, Malaysia; Laem Chabang, Thailand; Ho Chi Minh,and Nha Trang, Vietnam; Hong Kong; Shanghai, China;and Nagasaki,Japan. We are looking for reliable guides as options to the ship's tours. We would appreciate any information that you can provide.

We are leaving the third week in March and would appreciate your early reply.
Old June 2nd, 2001, 10:23 AM
clarkdee

Default Re: Tour guides in Southeast Asia

lilia,
did you ever find tour guides? would be interested in Shanghai?
Old June 25th, 2001, 05:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to LuLu

What interested you about Singapore and Bangkok?....we will be going and would like your feedback...thanks.
Old June 25th, 2001, 05:04 PM
Pascal

would love to hear about the Yantgse cruise...thanks.
Old July 14th, 2001, 10:40 AM
Passenger

Am thinking of a Yantze River cruise in 2002. Don't expect anything like a crusise on a modern ocean going ship but would like more info. Thanks.
Old August 15th, 2001, 03:10 AM
tourfone

Default Tourfone offers rental phone and hotel reservation

Tourfone offers rental phone and hotel reservation services for China travelers! Rental fee $2/day, call rate starts $0.18/min(local), $0.72/min(intĄŻl). Pickup/return at Beijing/Shanghai airports and at your hotels.
Tourfone provides China hotel reservation services at group discount rate (starts from $34/night). The hotels are very convenient located in Beijing airport, the old downtown Beijing, Zhong-Guan-Cun (the Chinese silicon valley), the west-train station, and the room quality of the hotels ranging from economic 3 star hotels to the most luxurious 5 stars.
For details ,please visit,http://www.tourfone.com
Old February 22nd, 2002, 11:25 AM
First Mate

I am very interested in the YR cruise and tour. We are thinking of the uniworld 21 day tour, which includes 6 days on the Victoria cruise line. I have taken the Columbia River tour and understand the difference in Ocean cruising and River cruising. I have concerns after reading cruise critic boards and hearing of disappointment with uniworld. We're booking through AAA and our agent says they have not had any problems with uniworld trips, but its still a worry. We would really like to hear from anyone who has used uniworld or done a simular cruise. Thank you.
Old April 16th, 2002, 09:35 PM
beachmom5

Anyone considering going to Mainland China should pick up the book "lonely planet book on China". We went in 1998 and enjoyed it very much. We want to return in the next year or two.
Old May 10th, 2002, 09:17 PM
Angie

We went on the Yangtze river downstream cruise with the Victoria cruise on Victoria Princess. The scene was very good, land excursion, which are included with the cruise price, are excellent, except the ghost city & the Dam. I think they have already discontinue the ghost city excursion, but instead visit another old town up the hills (White Emperor City). This place has a lot of history and there is a museum there too. If you can do more research before going, it will be very nice.

The scenes of the "Tthree Gorges" and the "Three Lessor Gorges" are incredibly beautiful. Mind you, after the chinese government flood the river valley, everything will be gone. Not a lot of people go on downstream to LuShan & HuangShan. However, these are the places my husband and me enjoyed most. HuangShan has got pine trees, rocks that form so very special landscapes that makes the whole trip unforgetable. However, if you are not in good health, you should just walk a bit and turn back. The most fit should go all the way and you will be so surprise and what you see. It's exactly like what you've seen in a traditional chinese painting.

The ship - Victoria Princess - is a real old lady, and needs to be refurblished. The crew works very hard to please the passengers, from the Crew Director to the waitress/room service staff. Food is still very greasy, and not fit for European/American taste.

Hope this helps
Old June 11th, 2004, 08:47 AM
Beginner

Any cruisers out their who has done the Yangtze River Cruise aboard the ms Century Star, Viking River Cruise line. We are going in Aug. & looking for fellow cruisers.

Old June 20th, 2004, 03:28 PM
Beginner

"What cruise line did you use?, said I trembling - as we are going in November!!!
I am very interested in hearing about your experiences!
Thanks!
Sharon
Old August 25th, 2004, 08:19 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Yangtze River Cruise

Steve, we hope to spend a week (or two?) in Thailand next spring, on our own, in conjunction with a Yangtze River cruiiise. What do you suggest? Where did you stay in Bangkok? for how long? did you go up north? by rail? DO TELL! Sue (not really "cleo")
Old January 14th, 2005, 03:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

we used allasia.com for guides in vietnam,bangkok, cambodia. excellent. all over the internet.
Old January 14th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

We too need names of private guides for seol,hiroshima,kyoto,okinawa,shanghai, taipe...................Lila Lidsky wrote:

> We are seeking tour guides at port stops on a cruise in
> Kuantan, Malaysia; Laem Chabang, Thailand; Ho Chi Minh,and Nha
> Trang, Vietnam; Hong Kong; Shanghai, China;and Nagasaki,Japan.
> We are looking for reliable guides as options to the ship's
> tours. We would appreciate any information that you can
> provide.
>
> We are leaving the third week in March and would appreciate
> your early reply.
Old January 14th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

sorry, its is all asia travel.com