Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Asia
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 19th, 2004, 05:43 PM
Herbert Rideout

Default Caution on any China Cruises

We went on a 14 day Orient cruise which was wonderful until the end when many passengers including my wife got sick. We were in Bangkok and I requested help with my wife, wheel chair etc and the Princess agents said they would help but never did, she could hardly walk. I didn't want to put her in a hospital in Bangkok so we toughed it out and I at last got her home and immediately into the hospital at which time I got sick but not as bad, we suffered from respiratory problems. We were later contacted by the Center for Disease Control in Atlanta and they asked a lot of questions. Seems one aircraft flying back with ship passengers was diverted to Japan where some of them died. Since then we have learned that respiratory problems are common in that area. Hong Kong for example dumps its raw sewage just off shore in the ocean. When the wind comes up bacteria gets airborne and if you are so unfortunate as to be on deck you are exposed to all kinds of nasty stuff.
Sponsored Links
Old April 20th, 2004, 09:03 PM
Bonnie Lee

Default Re: Caution on any China Cruises

Has any of this been on the news? Bonnie
Old April 22nd, 2004, 11:55 AM
Herbert Rideout

Default Re: Re: Caution on any China Cruises

This happened several years ago now but I do not think it ever hit the news media. At the time I was not following the news, my wife was in the hospital for almost two weeks and I was out of it for several days. Since then our son has had to travel to China several times and both he and those with him have become ill, he now avoids trips to China if he can. It may be so routine that it does not get reported. When was the last time you heard of anyone getting Montezuma's Revenge, it happens all the time and with older people it can be very dangerous.
Old April 26th, 2004, 02:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

testing

Old May 6th, 2004, 09:43 PM
Bonnie Lee

Default Re: Re: Re: Caution on any China Cruises

I'm going on Yantze Cruise in June and July, any precautions I could take. I am in good health. Its a Viking Cruise and think that accomadations should be 1st class. Bonnie
Old May 18th, 2004, 06:47 PM
Frequent Cruiser

Mr. Rideout, are you related to Scott Rideout, HAL Cruise Director?
Old May 20th, 2004, 04:53 AM
Herbert A Rideout

Default Re: Re: Caution on any China Cruises

I don't know a Scott Rideout but if his ancestors are from New England then we are related. Most Rideoutís are descended from one of two early immigrants, one in the early 1600s that settled in Virginia and the second around 1700 that settled in Haverhill Massachusetts, I am descended from the second.
Old June 8th, 2005, 08:10 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Malaysian Ships

Anyone hear of the company www.salsacruise.com ???

They claim to have the Malay Pride, but no pics of other ships, or where the ports are, but the website does advertise a travel agency and carnival ships.