CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Asia (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/asia/)
-   -   Leaving from Shanghai Questions (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/asia/355827-leaving-shanghai-questions.html)

katiedid September 8th, 2008 06:25 AM

Leaving from Shanghai Questions

I'm booked to leave from Shanghai and will be arriving the night before. I have a reservation at the Grand Hyatt and am unsure how far it is from where I'll be boarding. I've searched high and low and I have directions from the airport to the pier, I have not been able to find out exactly where it is. I am unsure if my hotel is too far from the pier. Does anyone know where Royal Caribbean boards in Shanghai?

Marc September 8th, 2008 06:49 PM

When we were in Shanghai last year, we docked in the river across from Pudong where they are building a large cruise ship port. It was just a cheap taxi ride to either central Shanghai or Pudong. HOWEVER, I don't know if Royal Caribbean uses that port; the ship might be too large. This should be an easy question for your travel agent.

The Grand Hyatt is in a wonderful location; you will really love the hotel. Taxis are dirt cheap in Shanghai so you will have no problem getting to the ship wherever it is docked.

katiedid September 13th, 2008 07:50 AM

Thanks so much, Marc. I'll call to find out if I can get more specifics, but what you wrote put me at ease a little bit. We arrive in Shanghai the afternoon before we leave for the cruise. Any suggestions on what do to/where to go?

Marc September 15th, 2008 09:11 AM

You arrive in the afternoon and board the next day? Does the ship overnight in Shanghai or is your only time that one afternoon and the next day until sailaway?

I would get a driver and guide for a full day tour and transfer to the ship as a minimum. To be in Shanghai and not see the city would be a shame.

Must sees are Yu Yuan Garden, the Shanghai Museum, and the observation deck above your hotel. I would also try to see the Chinese Acrobat show the evening you are in town. You need to check out the Bund. Shopping is fantastic! Don't forget that you can legally bring in one illegal knockoff into the US. Watches, handbags, and pearls are short. The first two are knockoffs and the third are real. My wife bought Pearls for all of our female relatives last year at an average cost of arond $12 per strand.

Hopefully, Mike will stop in with more suggestions.

Mike M September 17th, 2008 12:48 AM

Re: Leaving from Shanghai Questions

Quote:

Originally Posted by katiedid
I'm booked to leave from Shanghai and will be arriving the night before. I have a reservation at the Grand Hyatt and am unsure how far it is from where I'll be boarding. I've searched high and low and I have directions from the airport to the pier, I have not been able to find out exactly where it is. I am unsure if my hotel is too far from the pier. Does anyone know where Royal Caribbean boards in Shanghai?

I really can't remember exactly where we docked but cabs are easy and plentiful. Here's a hint. Use all the cabs except the red ones. They are the "gypsy" cabs of Shanghai and charge more and do not have the quality of vehicles of the other colors. I suggest having someone at your hotel write the name of cruise ship dock, in Chinese, on a card that you can show a taxi driver.

A trip to the Yu Yuan Gardens and the Temple of the Jade Buddha are some interesting things to do. When you are at the Yu Yuan Gardens go down to the Antique Market that is located there. I wouldn't bet on getting real Chinese antiques but they do have some nice antique watches, textiles and Chinese brick a brak and a great place to just wander around. Also, in the same complex is a place that serves some of the best dumpling, including soup dumplings, I've ever had.

Take care,
Mike